The Shadow Thieves by Anne Ursu

The Shadow Thieves

by Anne Ursu

Series: Cronus Chronicles (1)

RGG: Book one in the trilogy the Chronos Chronicles. Modern-day children travel to Hades to save the world.
  rgruberexcel | Oct 12, 2016 |
I feel like this book could use a higher average rating :P
I thought this book was pretty good; one of the things I liked about it (which actually seems to be a turn off for some of the other reviewers) was the slightly Lemony Snicket-esque narrator. Reading some of the reviews, I rather thought it was going to be dreary, tedious, and an obvious ripoff of Percy Jackson (And yes, I now know that this book was published too soon after Percy Jackson to be a ripoff, so no need to correct me.) So the poor thing was the last in its library book batch to be read, and honestly I think it was the best. The underworld was very underworldly, but made amusing by the less underworldly way Hades had of managing it, along with the slightly ridiculous figure of Hades himself. Charlotte was grumpy, antisocial, a bit cowardly, and fine with it; Zee was every ounce the gentlemanly, brave, heroic, and effortlessly popular British Boy. The story, as stories go, wasn't ridiculously predictable, or ridiculously complicated. My favorite part was the very end where it turns out that SPOILERS' SPOILERS SPOILERS to SPOILERS and turned out to be SPOILERS.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm definitely reading the rest if the series. :) ( )
  theliteraryelephant | Aug 11, 2016 |
A fourth-grader at school had been telling me that I needed to read this, and since our library copy tends to stay checked out, she finally brought me her personal copy from home. When a student is so adamant that you read a book that she hands over her own paperback copy, you read it! And I'm so glad I did. Definitely a winner for the kids who enjoy Percy Jackson's adventures. I actually liked it a little more than Riordan's series-- maybe because I'm a little burnt out on Percy and his gang; maybe because Anne Ursu writes with a dry humor and a touch of snarkiness that I really enjoyed. So Gabby, thank you for your persistence!
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
I have no idea why I expected this to be bland and uninteresting, and I apologize to the author for my supposition. Because it was engrossing, exciting, and funny. I enjoyed the characters a lot (particularly the surly Charlotte), and while there were a few little details that I called early on (the cat, for one), it wasn’t the predictable book I’d expected it to be. I’m curious about and eager for the sequel (due out in July, according to Amazon). ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Do you need something for your fans of The Lightning Thief? Here you go. To me, it has the writing style of Lemony Snicket and Kate DiCamillo's The Tale of Despereaux, but with the same Greek mythology aspect as the Lightning Thief. I enjoyed it, and look forward to reading book 2. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |

Anne Ursuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fortune, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my husband who tells me stories.
Pay attention.

The Shadow Thieves is a story about a girl named Charlotte Mielswetzski and her cousin Zachary (Zee for short). Around the time Zee moves to America from England, things begin to happen. A kitten appears out of nowhere. Strange men in tuxedos are following Charlotte and Zee wherever they go. A mysterious plague is infecting all the children. Soon Charlotte and Zee discover that the stories in Greek mythology are real! Now they have to stop a plan to take over the underworld, that is all being orchestrated by a sinister villain... named Phil.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141690588X, Paperback)

Something extraordinary is about to happen to Charlotte Mielswetzski.

It's not the very cute kitten that appears out of nowhere. It's not the arrival of her cousin Zee, who believes he's the cause of a mysterious sickness that has struck his friends back in England. And it's not the white-faced, yellow-eyed men in tuxedos who follow Charlotte everywhere. What's so extraordinary is not any one of these things. It's all of them.

When Charlotte's friends start to get sick, Charlotte and Zee set out to find a cure. Their quest leads them to a not-so-mythical Underworld, where they face Harpies that love to rhyme, gods with personnel problems, and ghosts with a thirst for blood.

Charlotte and Zee learn that in a world overrun by Nightmares, Pain, and Death, the really dangerous character is a guy named Phil. And then they discover that the fate of every person -- living and dead -- is in their hands.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

After her cousin Zee arrives from England, thirteen-year-old Charlotte and he must set out to save humankind from denizens of the underworld, Nightmares, Death, Pain, and a really nasty guy named Phil.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,734,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible