Don't Look Now by Daphne Du Maurier

Don't Look Now (1971)

by Daphne Du Maurier

4301034,964 (3.72)1 / 94

Don’t Look Now and Other Stories is a collection of five short stories, most of which have a touch of suspense or the supernatural in them.

Don’t Look Now is quite chilling. It’s the best story of the book. The climax was completely surprising. One of the best supernatural/suspense tales I’ve ever read.

Not after Midnight is long drawn out and rather uninteresting. The climax is dull too. Yes, there are the occasional thrills but overall it is not as good as I had expected.

A Border-line Case was nauseating. It aspires to be a romance, a mystery, a political thriller but ends up being nothing but cheap. Its female protagonist is just plain silly. Her imaginary picture of Ireland is laughable to say the least. My point is, I don’t enjoy reading about women who behave like absolute nitwits. The ending left me feeling repulsed.

The Way of the Cross is more of a morality tale than anything else. It is the story about a group of people who have ordinary problems and instead of solving their problems try to find easy fixes for them. They end up finding redemption (at least for the time being) in the holy city of Jerusalem. The only one who is left untouched is the child, who is yet innocent of any crime. This story, though not keeping with the rest of the book, is quite nice.

The Breakthrough is a science fiction-style story. I have read stories like this before. It is nothing unique. But it is fairly enjoyable.

Overall, the best story in Don’t Look Now and Other Stories is the eponymous Don’t Look Now. The Way of the Cross and The Breakthrough are above average and enjoyable. Not after Midnight is just about okay while A Border-line Case is utterly unpleasant (well, for me at least). The book is above average for me. ( )
  Porua | Apr 25, 2018 |
Five stories that were classic DuMaurier. Each one as mysterious as the next, two of them had been made into movies in the '70's. Very enjoyable! :) ( )
  TerriS | Jan 19, 2017 |
A word of caution: Do not confuse this book, Don't Look Now and Other Stories with Don't Look Now: Selected Stories of Daphne Du Maurier. They are not the same book. The only things they have in common are the the title story and the author. Both books are fine, mind you, but if you are participating in a group discussion and the stories you are reading aren't the same as what everyone else is reading, you will likely feel left out in the cold.

That said, this is a fine collection of stories by an exceptional author. I really enjoyed her writing style and the the way that she was able to bring various settings around the world to life. That said, I don't think any of the stories really hit it out of the park. Maybe I expect more from the author of Rebecca and Jamaica Inn but I felt like she set up several of the stories for a big finish and then....they just ended. I award this anthology ★★★½ stars out of five although at least half a star is awarded out of respect for Dame Daphne.

My thanks to the folks at the Goodreads Horror Aficionados group for giving me the opportunity to read and discuss this and many other fine books. ( )
  Unkletom | Dec 17, 2016 |
I was initially worried about this story, thinking that it was going to be something of a disappointment, leaving me hanging on the resolution like The Birds did... but it wasn't, and didn't.

This story was rather eerie, and the music that accompanied the reading heightened this effect quite a bit. Often, when I'm listening to audiobooks, I think of the story in terms of format and try to compare. I know that a reader can add or detract from the story, that sounds or music (which I'm not usually a fan of) can do the same, and that the experience of reading and listening can be quite different from each other. This audio was fantastic, and the music was used tastefully and to great effect. I think that one twist's significance in the story might have actually been... maybe not missed, but perhaps overlooked until viewed in hindsight, but the way the audio was done, I not only understood immediately, but was also startled and creeped out. Awesome. :D

This story had a very gothic horror feel, and was full of twists and turns and hints and the like, and it seems that nothing is quite what it seems. I tried guessing what the actual twist was going to be, and failed miserably. None of my twist-guesses made sense unless there was either one overused explanation, or unless there was a really huge explanation that could be plausible but unlikely. The one in the book was better by far. Probably why I read books and don't write them. You're welcome, world.

I thought that there was one detail which was introduced a bit late in the story that wasn't really necessary, but worked toward the ending. The ending would still have worked without this, but I guess for those people who might have been a bit baffled, it served as a kind of "There's your answer" bit. Me personally, I think that had it been left out, it would have been even creepier and with even more "What the fuck?!" thrown in. But that's just preference.

All in all, I really liked this one, probably the most of any of du Maurier's stories I've read so far. The tally is now up to a whopping 3. I'm on a roll!

Horror October 2011: #14 ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
Mine is the Folio Society edition, which is different to two of the three reviews below (but the same as 'overthemoon's)

What can I say. Absolutely riveting read - I got through 300 pages in just two days, and at times could not put the book down. All the tales have a twist in them, some bordering on horror, others - if not most of them - supernatural.

If you have the same edition as me, don't read the introduction first - it is really full of spoilers! ( )
  RMMee | Nov 26, 2010 |
"Don't look now," John said to his wife, "but there are a couple of old girls two table away who are trying to hypnotise me."
Folio Society edition contains stories: Don't Look Now; The Apple Tree; The Pool; The Blue Lenses; Kiss Me Again, Stranger; The Chamois; Not After Midnight; The Old Man; The Birds. There seem to be a number of different configurations using this same title, but they do not always contain the same stories, or even the same number of stories.  The copyright page states that this Folio Society edition was originally published under the title "Echoes from the Macabre: Selected Stories" (UK (1976), by Victor Gollancz Ltd; USA (1977) by Doubleday)
Don't Look Now by Daphne DuMaurier, as published in the Penguin Longman Reader series is not the same book as the anthology of short stories that carries the same name, but is a simplified version. It should not be combined with the anthology. Additionally, there is not just one, but several different anthologies that contain Don't Look Now.

Contents of these editions: Don't Look Now; The Apple Tree; The Pool; The blue Lenses; Kiss Me Again, Stranger; The Chamois; Not After Midnight; The Old Man; The Birds.

In six months, three women in their twenties have been brutally murdered. And each step that Homicide Detective Jack Paris takes to find their killer draws him closer to the heart of his own forbidden impulses.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,808,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible