The Scourge of God by S. M. Stirling

The Scourge of God (2008)

by S. M. Stirling

We get to Iowa in this book. Rudi almost dies a couple of times. Really a buffalo stampede? ;-) Mary has a life altering event. No main characters on the quest dies. I already have the next book from the library, as well as a few others from the library. I shouldn't but I am going to jump into Sword of the Lady. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I haven't read the original series but picked this up with Dies The Fire and on through Meeting at Corvallis and the last book, The Sunrise Lands. I'm mainly a science fiction reader but also like a good fantasy novel. This series, started out as post apocalyptic (science fiction's little brother) but has been devolving into fantasy. The Scourge of God is apparently the Prophet, a religious madman working out of Wyoming and the upper midwest. Ok, I can deal with that. But why do his minions, the Seekers, talk in bold type and are almost impossible to kill? Why is Rudi getting visions? For that matter, this whole quest they are on to the East coast is taking on more and more the trappings of The Lord of the Rings. And as another reviewer noted, it's probably going to take them at least two more books to get to Nantucket. And then 4 more to get back? We could have another Time of Wheels (I mean Wheels of Time) on our hands, a story which the author doesn't know how to end. Like I said, I don't know how much more of this I can take. ( )
  capewood | Dec 8, 2014 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
12/11 I'm bumping this up to four stars. The second reading left me less concerned with plot progression, and more willing to luxuriate in the world that Stirling's made. Yes, there's no doubt that Rudi is going to triumph in every situation, but it's because he's Hero Incarnate. It's a lovely escape, and a wonderfully convincing dystopia.

12/10 Another solid entry in the Emberverse saga, this book takes Rudi Makenzie and his cohorts deep into the middle of what used to be the United States. Their adventures are grueling and (need I say it?) gruesome.

3.5 stars, really. A lot of interior monologues keep this from being quite as gripping as its predecessors. Also, there begins to be a sameness, a muchness to the plotlines. This does not hinder my desire to finish the series, however. The characters are strong, likable and most important of all, interesting. I care what happens to them, and I'm interested in seeing what will happen in Nantucket- I so hope we get to Nantucket in the next book.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
The adventure continues as the band recovers in the Tetons and makes their way to Iowa. It's an enjoyable story, full of more creative possibilities about a future world based on the past. ( )
  jpsnow | Feb 11, 2011 |

S. M. Stirlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alfred Bruce Stirling, father and inspiration
The five women fell silent as they climbed single file on the narrow woodland track, higher and higher through the long summer twilight, with the soft duff of the forest floor quiet beneath their sandals - or in one case, boot-heels. (Prologue)

Rudi MacKenzie continues his trek across the land that was once the United States of America. His destination: Nantucket, where he hopes to learn the truth behind the Change that rendered technology across the globe inoperable.During his travels, Rudi forges ties with new allies in the continuing war against the Prophet, who teaches his followers that God has punished humanity by destroying technological civilization. And one fanatical officer in the Sword of the Prophet has been dispatched on a mission: to stop Rudi from reaching his destination by any means necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

In this continuation of the bestselling author's chronicle of an alternate world, Rudi MacKenzie continues his trek across the land that was once the United States, where he hopes to learn the truth behind The Change that rendered technology across the globe inoperable.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,016,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible