Like No Other Lover by Julie Anne Long

Like No Other Lover

by Julie Anne Long

Like No Other Lover
3 Stars

While the hero and heroine are engaging and their romance is intense, the pacing is tediously slow until the last 30% and the phrasing is repetitious.

The seemingly selfish and mercenary Cynthia Brightly is in dire straights and nothing short of marriage to a man of means can save her from a life of destitution. Enter Miles Redmond who has all the inside information on every eligible bachelor in Pennyroyal Green and is willing to trade it for a kiss from the one woman who wounded his pride. This sets Cynthia and Miles on a collision course characterized by witty banter and some seriously steamy scenes.

It is a pity that every other aspect of the book is so brain numbingly boring because Like No Other Lover could have been a 5 star read but must ultimately settle for a mediocre 3. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
After a disappointing experience with the development of Ms Long's Holt Sisters trilogy, I was wary of tackling the second volume in the Pennyroyal Green series. [b:The Perils of Pleasure|2371827|The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)|Julie Anne Long|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1329607591s/2371827.jpg|2378729], the first book in the series, was a joy to read but left some doubts about how Ms Long intended to spin out the Pennyroyal Green saga.

A few pages into [b:Like No Other Lover|3164070|Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)|Julie Anne Long|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1329607884s/3164070.jpg|3195910] my worries were dispelled completely. The village of Pennyroyal Green and the rival Redmond and Eversea families provide continuity, but otherwise the second volume provides a refreshing change of pace and narrative.

In contrast to the swashbuckling action of [b:The Perils of Pleasure|2371827|The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)|Julie Anne Long|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1329607591s/2371827.jpg|2378729], nearly all the events of [b:Like No Other Lover|3164070|Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)|Julie Anne Long|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1329607884s/3164070.jpg|3195910] take place in the idyllic and enclosed setting of the Redmond family home, where an interesting collection of family members, friends and acquaintances have gathered for an extended summer party. The reluctant host of the party is Miles Redmond, second son but de facto heir to Isaiah, the temporarily absent patriarch of the family. The odd-woman-out in the gathering is Cynthia Brightly, an intelligent and ambitious young woman fleeing from the scandal that has ended her brilliant society debut, her betrothal to a wealthy aristocrat, and her ostracism from the ton.

In desperation, Cynthia sets her sights on Miles Redmond, unaware that she has already captured his heart. Unfortunately for Cynthia, Miles has promised his father to marry a buxom but bland heiress and thus cement a highly desirable bond between their two families. Cynthia has no alternative but to turn her attention to some of the other eligible bachelors or widowers at the party and avails herself of Miles' offer to provide her with insider information about the prospective grooms in return for a kiss.

The rest of the book is a perfectly paced and beautifully written description of the developing relationship between Miles and Cynthia, a tour de force of carefully crafted encounters and dialogues that slowly reveal the depths of the two leading characters and their fascination for each other.

skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
So good! For the second time, Julie Anne Long has taken me by surprise with layered characters, subtle (and not subtle -- e.g., shooting parties and drinking games) humor, and emotion so deep that I found myself nearly sobbing at times. The moment on the bench has to be one of the most beautiful ever, still standing out to me in a way very few do, and I keep smiling as I think about Miles' internal dialogue about Cynthia's hair ("*brown* hair, her hair was *brown*").

I'm waiting for the moment that there's more interplay between the Redmonds and the Everseas (can't remember how much there was in the first of the series; I so need to go back and read one after another), but this is only the second in a series of nine (so far) so I'm holding out hope. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Aug 28, 2014 |
I adore the Pennyroyal Green series, unfortunately, this installment, despite solid writing, is not one of it's finest.

It's hard to LOVE a book if you don't fall a little in love with the hero. Miles makes it difficult. His exterior may be striking, but his head and heart are severely lacking. Miles is far from charming, clever, tender or endearing. I question how anyone could fall for the oaf.

The ending was nice but the journey to get there, without love for the hero, it didn't captivate me.

The ending is nice but the journey to get there isn't all that captivating. ( )
  TheLustyLiterate | Dec 7, 2013 |
It's been so long since I read the first book in Julie Ann Long's Pennyroyal Green series, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy her writing. She's excellent at spinning beautiful prose and wrapping the reader up in her world.

I have to applaud Long for once again creating very unconventional characters. The heroine is not the type I generally would have chosen to read about. She is a diamond of the first water to be sure, but she's also cold and mercenary. The first time the hero sees her he's immediately taken by her. Sadly he over hears her discussing the wealth and title of the all the available gentlemen..and discarding those she deems too poor or unattractive. Unfortunately for Miles Redmond, as a second son, he falls into the unwanted category.

Once again Long has written a strong story with witty dialogue, unconventional characters, humor and depth. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
For Sammy

Now or Never. . . It's the last chance for Cynthia Brightly, the ton's most bewitching belle. Driven out of London by a secret scandal, she must find a grand husband at the Redmonds' house party before word of her downfall spreads all over England. Unfortunately, someone at Pennyroyal Green is already privy to the whispers of broken engagements and dueling lovers: Miles Redmond, renowned explorer and--thanks to his brother's disappearance--heir to the family's enormous fortune. Miles set his sights on Cynthia once, at a time when the ambitious beauty thought herself too good for a second son. But now he's heir apparent' relishing his control. He strikes a bargain with her: he'll keep Cynthia's steamy secrets and help her find a husband among the guests--in exchange for a single kiss. What could be the harm in a simple kiss? Cynthia is about to discover that it's enough to unleash fierce passion--and that Miles Redmond is most certainly like no other lover in the world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,073,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible