Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir…

Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love (original 1999; edition 2011)

by Dava Sobel

Member:AquariusNat
Title:Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love
Authors:Dava Sobel
Info:Walker & Company (2011), Edition: Book Club Edition., Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:Biography, Science

Galileo’s Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love by Dava Sobel (1999)

English (78)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (80)
Well written and highly readable literary biography of Galileo with a focus on the letters his eldest daughter, a cloistered nun, wrote to him for most of her life. Only her letters exist so the story can't be completely told but the fill in is really the meat of the story. This sat on my shelf for a long time as I was convinced it was a novel but I think I liked it better as non-fiction. Worth looking at her other books.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
The title is misleading. This is the story of Galileo's life, and tangentially it's about his daughter. Admittedly the author didn't have a lot of source material as the letters from Galileo to his daughter have all been destroyed, so he is re-piecing from only her letters to him, a one-sided conversation. It was interesting to discover that Galileo had two daughters who were both in a convent and that he kept up a conversation with one through letters his entire life and the other was largely ignored, according to this author. But the letters that were presented were mostly his daughter worrying about her father's health, worrying about his conflicts with the Church, and asking for money for the convent. The author would have been better off dropping the idea of the book after discovering the paucity of information, or turning it into an interesting long form article, but there isn't enough here for a book. ( )
  sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
I learned things about Galileo, and about his time, that I could not have imagined. In the end, the many images and documents were just too hard to handle on the Kindle, and I found a used copy in a local bookstore.

This is a book you should get as paper. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 27, 2013 |
-women, men, life in the rennaissance world ( )
  mykl-s | Aug 28, 2013 |
This books was very interesting. It wasn't a novel, which is hard for me, but for a biography, it was beautifully written and flowed more like a story. Very enlightening and it showed the inspiration of Galileo and some of his contemporaries--and the short-sightedness of others! I think it would be a must-read before you watch Angels & Demons (not that I've watched it--I just saw a documentary last night about it and I felt very intelligent because I knew all about Galileo's life from reading this book). ( )
  jessibelle34 | Jul 14, 2013 |
To the fathers
Galileo Galilei
&
Samuel Hillel Sobel, M.D.,
in loving memory.
Most Illustrious Lord Father: We are terribly saddened by the death of your cherished sister, our dear aunt; but our sorrow at losing her is as nothing compared to our concern for your sake, because your suffering will be all the greater, Sire, as truly you have no one else left in your world, now that she, who could not have been more precious to you, has departed, and therefore we can only imagine how you sustain the severity of such a sudden and completely unexpected blow.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Inspired by a long fascination with Galileo, and by the remarkable surviving letters of Galileo's daughter, a cloistered nun, acclaimed writer Dava Sobel has written a biography unlike any other of the man Albert Einstein called "the father of modern physics—indeed of modern science altogether."

The son of a musician, Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) tried at first to enter a monastery before engaging the skills that made him the foremost scientist of his day. Though he never left Italy, his inventions and discoveries were heralded around the world. Most sensationally, his telescopes allowed him to reveal a new reality in the heavens and to reinforce the astounding argument that the Earth moves around the Sun. For this belief, he was brought before the Holy Office of the Inquisition, accused of heresy, and forced to spend his last years under house arrest. Of Galileo's three illegitimate children, the eldest best mirrored his own brilliance, industry, and sensibility, and by virtue of these qualities became his confidante. Born Virginia in 1600, she was thirteen when Galileo placed her in a convent near him in Florence, where she took the most appropriate name of Suor Maria Celeste. Her loving support, which Galileo repaid in kind, proved to be her father's greatest source of strength throughout his most productive and tumultuous years. Her presence, through letters which Sobel has translated from their original Italian and masterfully woven into the narrative, graces her father's life now as it did then.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140280553, Paperback)

Everyone knows that Galileo Galilei dropped cannonballs off the leaning tower of Pisa, developed the first reliable telescope, and was convicted by the Inquisition for holding a heretical belief--that the earth revolved around the sun. But did you know he had a daughter? In Galileo's Daughter, Dava Sobel (author of the bestselling Longitude) tells the story of the famous scientist and his illegitimate daughter, Sister Maria Celeste. Sobel bases her book on 124 surviving letters to the scientist from the nun, whom Galileo described as "a woman of exquisite mind, singular goodness, and tenderly attached to me." Their loving correspondence revealed much about their world: the agonies of the bubonic plague, the hardships of monastic life, even Galileo's occasional forgetfulness ("The little basket, which I sent you recently with several pastries, is not mine, and therefore I wish you to return it to me").

While Galileo tangled with the Church, Maria Celeste--whose adopted name was a tribute to her father's fascination with the heavens--provided moral and emotional support with her frequent letters, approving of his work because she knew the depth of his faith. As Sobel notes, "It is difficult today ... to see the Earth at the center of the Universe. Yet that is where Galileo found it." With her fluid prose and graceful turn of phrase, Sobel breathes life into Galileo, his daughter, and the earth-centered world in which they lived. --Sunny Delaney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:45 -0400)

"The son of a musician, Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) tried at first to enter a monastery before engaging the skills that made him the foremost scientist of his day. Though he never left Italy, his inventions and discoveries were heralded around the world. Most sensationally, his telescopes allowed him to reveal a new reality in the heavens and to reinforce the astounding argument that the Earth moves around the Sun. For this belief, he was brought before the Holy Office of the Inquisition, accused of heresy, and forced to spend his last years under house arrest." "Of Galileo's three illegitimate children, the eldest best mirrored his own brilliance, industry, and sensibility, and by virtue of these qualities became his confidante. Born Virginia in 1600, she was thirteen when Galileo placed her in a convent near him in Florence, where she took the most appropriate name of Suor Maria Celeste. Her loving support, which Galileo repaid in kind, proved to be her father's greatest source of strength throughout his most productive and tumultuous years. Her presence, through letters which Sobel has translated from their original Italian and woven into the narrative, graces her father's life now as it did then." "Galileo's Daughter dramatically recolors the personality and accomplishment of a mythic figure whose seventeenth-century clash with Catholic doctrine continues to define the schism between science and religion. Moving between Galileo's grand public life and Maria Celeste's sequestered world, Sobel illuminates the Florence of the Medicis and the papal court in Rome during the pivotal era when humanity's perception of its place in the cosmos was being overturned."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible