Gifts From The Child Within: Self-discovery…

Gifts From The Child Within: Self-discovery and Self-recovery Through…

by Barbara Sinor

1910537,190 (4.21)9

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am very sorry but I was unable to read this book. I've read other "inner child" literature and have done a good deal of psychological work. I think I must be done with this chapter in my life and do not feel as if I have time to spend reading more about it. Apologies to the author as I'm sure she worked hard to write the book and does not deserve to be treated without respect.
  maggie1944 | Sep 22, 2012 |
A practical workbook for self-discovery and healing

Title of Book: Gifts from the Child Within 2nd Edition by Barbara Sinor, PhD
Author: Barbara Sinor, PhD has her own private counseling practice for over 25 years. She received her Doctorate in Psychology at the Southern California University for Professional Studies in 1997. She has a Master of Arts degree in John F. Kennedy University’s Graduate School for the Study of Human Consciousness majoring in Transpersonal Counseling Psychology.
ISBN Number: 978-1-932690-46-0
Publisher: Loving Healing Press Inc.
Genre/Market: Psychology/Psychotherapy/Counseling/Self Help
Publication Date: 2008
Book Length: 224 Pages
Price: $20.95
Soft copy
5 Out of 5 points
Headline for Book Review: A practical workbook for self-discovery and healing
“I received this book for free from ReviewTheBook.com and from Loving Healing Press Inc. in Ann Arbor, Michigan for this review.”
I wanted to learn all about my own “child within” and thus decided to do a free book review. This book addresses so many self help issues that many individuals seem to have. I was a victim of my circumstances, or so I thought. I think recovery is the key to self healing and a process that makes us look at our old patterns and wounds from our childhood. This book addresses just that! If you have been traumatized and violated in any form this book walks you step by step on how to recovery and some may take a lifetime to overcome depending on the issue.
Quote from Chapter 7: “We heal by remembering, literally bringing back into the wholeness of our being that which we have lost by hiding it from ourselves.” ~ Joan Borysenko
The codependency chapter on page 119 brought some self reflection for me! I learned that if we put “conditions” on others in order to get them to love us, then that is a form of false love. For example, “I will do anything you say, be anything you want” is a conditional statement of non-loving. Whereas unconditional love says, “I love myself and desire to share that love with you.” I have to say this is the way I was raised as a child and I have to learn to overcome this as an adult.
I know that I do not want to be a “victim” of life and that I want the freedom of choice. Although it is going to be a learning process and Barbra really does help my inconsistencies with all of my own issues. If you want to learn to recover and do positive affirmations this journey will take time, but it is well worth doing in order to be your authentic self.
Jackie Paulson © 2011 All Rights Reserved ( )
  jackie1966 | Oct 30, 2011 |
I'm really enjoying this book. It's a very indepth book to work through, so it's slow going. I am finding it super helpful, even though I have found it triggereing to reconnect to your true inner child.

I highly recommend other people read and work through this book. Make sure you have ways to keep yourself grounded though, if you've undergone a lot of trauma like I have in your past. I also suggest having a safe person around your home when you're working on it incase things get too upsetting and you need outside help to ground yourself.

It's very well written and clear so to avoid confusion over how to do the exercises.

I will add more to my review when I finish this book.

I'd currently rate this book at 5/5

P

p.s. Like the review you read? Let me know with a comment! :)
  Pheonix | Mar 27, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I reviewed this already, then deleted the book. so I'm looking for my review in my emails.
  rudeb7 | Jul 15, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read fifty pages and finally threw up my hands in defeat. I was aggravated by the constant references to the author’s Re-Creation Therapy™. Making up a special name for a common set of therapies is just annoying. Add above-average density and it wasn’t a pleasant read for me. There were a few spots I highlighted, but overall it wasn’t worth my time. ( )
  Morphidae | Jun 10, 2008 |

Gifts From the Child Within brings a refreshing approach to guiding its reader to understanding the initial or underlying basis to their emotional suffering due to past childhood trauma. This recovery book is geared toward both professional and layperson. Its pages are filled with offerings from psychological, physiological, and spiritual perspectives which takes the reader on a journey into the soul. It is written with sensitivity and clarity inviting the reader to search within for healing. As the author shares her own journey of childhood abuse, the reader is asked to address issues surrounding physical, mental, spiritual, and sexual abuse. Instructions are captured to guide one toward reaching for their own child within; releasing negative emotions; re-creating outdated childhood beliefs; and, to recognize the gifts the inner child has for us. The process of Re-Creation Therapy(tm) is introduced by the author allowing the reader who follows its guidance to reap the effects of gradual changes in self-awareness which lead to a greater understanding of the psychodynamics the child within plays in the adult life. Included are a series of healing visualizations and autohypnosis suggestions; blank journal pages; and sample affirmations following each chapter. What Experts Say About Gifts From The Child Within "This is indeed a valuable self-help book and a tool for the Counselor, Hypnotherapist, Minister, Psychotherapist, or Clinician. I assure you, the world will look much brighter after you read this book. " --Lavona Stillman, PhD, CC, HT "Barbara Sinor has written a book that will help the violated and traumatized child within to heal. Gifts From The Child Within helps guide survivors with repressed memories of trauma, as well as those with current memories of incest, through the healing process. " Marilyn Van Derbur, Miss America 1958, Founder: Survivor's United Network "Barbara Sinor has bridged the gap for clients and therapists alike between the mere discovery of the inner child and the building of a true relationship with this most important being within. Gifts From The Child Within is an important and highly readable work. " Rick Boyes, M. Coun, CHT, Author A Body To Die For "Gifts From The Child Within is a wonderful book that takes the reader on a journey into the soul. Flowing and readable, this book is filled with stories, myths, information, and revelation. " Marilyn Gordon, CHT, Author, Healing is Remembering Who You Are For more information: see www.DrSinor. com… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Barbara Sinor's book Gifts From The Child Within: A Recovery Workbook was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Barbara Sinor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Loving Healing Press

2 editions of this book were published by Loving Healing Press.

Editions: 1932690468, 1615999809

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,439,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible