Just Who Will You Be?: Big Question. Little…

by Maria Shriver

Member:Epiphany-OviedoELCA
Title:Just Who Will You Be?: Big Question. Little Book. Answer Within. (ROUGHCUT)
Authors:Maria Shriver
Info:Hyperion (2008), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 112 pages
Tags:12 F: Teen, Planning Your Future, self-actualization, graduating high school

Just Who Will You Be?: Big Question. Little Book. Answer Within. (ROUGHCUT) by Maria Shriver

This was an interesting little read. I didn't realize going into it that it was a speech that Maria Shriver gave at a graduation. Honestly I didn't even know who she was.
The book was 60% intro and conclusion and only about 40% was big fount stretched out speech. Half the book was her talking about why she is famous and which ones she wanted to be famous for.
Overall a cute graduation gift but more for moms and aunts and teachers than the actual graduates. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
This book is based on a speech that Maria Shriver gave to her nephew's high school graduation. There are some good nuggets to think about in this book (like the fact that it's never too late to dust off your dreams), but a few things didn't sit quite right with me. 1) She mentioned a couple of things that her teenagers said to her that seemed very "attitude-y", that seemed to add to Shriver's "identity crisis." Since the reader only sees this on paper, there's no way to see facial expressions, or hear the whole conversation, but it gave me pause that her kids said those things without more two-sided converstation. (Okay, I admit, I'm not a parent!) 2) The poem that was part of the speech seemed a bit Dr. Seuss-ish, and didn't seem to fit with the Kennedy/Shriver image I have. (Imagine Jack Kennedy reading Green Eggs and Ham. Was that a Saturday Night Live sketch?) 3) I couldn't tell at times if Shriver was being serious about her identity crisis concerns, or if she was just trying identify with the masses. While reading this book, sometimes I took her at face value, but sometimes I thought she came across like a whiney privileged person.

Okay, maybe I was in a cynical mood when I read this book, and I may have had a lighter review of it on a different day. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
This book is great for graduation and then to refer afterward. It is a copy of a speech that Maria Shriver gave at a graduation. This is a funny and inspiring book. ( )
  CAL7014 | Sep 7, 2011 |
A gem of a book, reminiscent of Dr. Suess' Oh The Places You'll Go. Wise words for graduating seniors or for anyone questioning who they are and what they want to be. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Apr 10, 2011 |
The essence of this book is the preface and comments of a talk that she gave at her nephew's high school graduation. The talk was a poem about "Just Who Will You Be?" Shriver did reveal some of her quest of finding herself outside the role of being a Kennedy, a newsreporter, and California's first lady. This would be a good gift for anyone making changes in their life. ( )
  LivelyLady | Aug 6, 2008 |

From the First Lady of California and bestselling author of "What's Heaven?" comes an inspiring book for readers on how to live a full life when faced with the challenges of figuring out just who they will be.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible