Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

Geek Love (original 1989; edition 1989)

by Katherine Dunn

4,037None1,256 (4.04)207
Member:varielle
Title:Geek Love
Authors:Katherine Dunn
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1989), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:Fiction

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn (1989)

20th century (25) American (31) American literature (20) birth defects (20) carnies (21) carnival (60) carnivals (26) circus (128) circus freaks (22) conjoined twins (17) contemporary (21) contemporary fiction (27) cults (20) disturbing (16) family (84) favorite (17) fiction (581) freaks (96) horror (16) literature (29) love (16) magical realism (23) novel (76) own (26) read (75) sideshow (19) to-read (87) unread (43) weird (18) wishlist (15)

English (93)  Swedish (1)  All languages (94)
It's like a darker, more bizarre version of "The Addams Family." ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
It's been a few years since I read this, but I loved it! The story got me hooked on circus-related fiction and non-fiction. It was heartbreaking and imaginative and beautifully told. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
A tale of perverted circus freaks. I'm sure I would've enjoyed this at least five times more if I had read it when I was about 13. ( )
  weeta | Sep 12, 2013 |
Dunn's story of a family of self-engineered freaks, their traveling carnival, and their increasingly odd and disturbing behaviors is a bit difficult to take at times. Narrator Olympia is an albino hunch-backed dwarf, and she's not even the most freakish one in her family. The most pervasive theme seems to be that of devotion and what one will do in service to her loved ones, no matter how ego-maniacal. The writing is evocative, elevated to almost cringe-worthy when the most disturbing things befall this group. I found it mostly upsetting, but was unable to put it down. Unfortunately, the ending is rather abrupt. ( )
1 vote EmScape | Aug 23, 2013 |
I need to give Dunn another shot. I bought it probably 8 years ago and have already managed to give it away to some used bookstore.
  winterpages | Aug 10, 2013 |
This thing of darkness I Acknowledge mine.
—Prospero, The Tempest 5.1.275–6
For Eli Malachy Dunn Dapolonia
"When your mama was the geek, my dreamlets," Papa would say, "she made the nipping off of noggins such a crystal mystery that the hens themselves yearned toward her, waltzing around her, hypnotized with longing."
It’s interesting that when these individuals choose--and it is their choice always--to endure voluntary amputations for their own personal benefit, society professes itself shocked and disapproving. Yet this same society respects the concept that any individual should risk total annihilation in war, subject to the judgment of any superior officer at all and for the purposes ranging from a promotion for the lieutenant to higher profits for the bullet company. Hell, they don’t just respect that idea, they flat expect it. And they’ll shoot your ass if you don’t go along with it. (Arty)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375713344, Paperback)

A wild, often horrifying, novel about freaks, geeks and other aberrancies of the human condition who travel together (a whole family of them) as a circus. It's a solipsistic funhouse world that makes "normal" people seem bland and pitiful. Arturo the Aqua-Boy, who has flippers and an enormous need to be loved. A museum of sacred monsters that didn't make it. An endearing "little beetle" of a heroine. Sort of like Tod Browning's Freaks crossed with David Lynch and John Irving and perhaps George Eliot -- the latter for the power of the emotions evoked.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:44 -0400)

Aloysious and Lillian Binewski, proprietors of a traveling carnival, attempt to reduce overhead by breeding their own freak show, with tragic results.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible