Frenchman's Creek by D du Maurier

Frenchman's Creek (original 1941; edition 1992)

by D du Maurier (Author)

The Restoration Court knows Lady Dona St Columb to be ripe for any folly, any outrage that will relieve the tedium of her days. But there is another, secret Dona who longs for a life of honest love - and sweetness, even if it is spiced with danger. Dona flees London for remote Navron, looking for peace of mind in its solitary woods and hidden creeks. She finds there the passion her spirit craves - in the love of a daring pirate hunted across Cornwall, a Frenchman who, like Dona, would gamble his life for a moment's joy.… (more)
Member:Stacyleanne12
Title:Frenchman's Creek
Authors:D du Maurier (Author)
Info:Arrow (1992), Edition: New edition, 240 pages

Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier (1941)

Recently added byprivate library, perennialreader, kohrmanmj, MendoLibrary, morganjaymee, mldybkr, mmmmellie
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: pirates and romance. captain blood was more pirates than romance :-)
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Largely centered around the sea. Both have that bittersweet quality running threw the book
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (sturlington)
    Martha Peake by Patrick McGrath (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: definitely not a romance, but a gothic tale of revenge. Partially set in Cornwall.
    Daughter of Fortune: A Novel (P.S.) by Isabel Allende (Booksloth)

English (50)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
Not being a psychological thriller, this isn't what I expected Daphne du Maurier to be like (shows what I know). There are a lot of cliches in here; cliches I happen to like, though, so not a bad thing. There was swashbuckling, there was impossible romance, there were many costume changes, I was happy. ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Dona St Columb is a celebrated Restoration beauty: irreverent, heartless and irresistible to men. Unhappily married to the doltish Harry, she seeks diversion in extravagant escapades with his friends; until one day she forces herself to confront the truth. Hollow and unfulfilled, she is becoming someone she is ashamed of; and so, ever-impulsive, she decides to leave the corrupting glitter of the Court behind. Taking her children, but leaving Harry behind to gamble and drink with his friend Rockingham, Dona goes down to Harry’s ancestral home at Navron in Cornwall. Here there is sunlight, the gentle rustle of the breeze in the trees and the refreshing calm of a slow-paced country life. Finally Dona begins to blossom again. Even Navron itself is peaceful: the house has only one servant, the capable and secretive William, who becomes Dona’s ally in her desire to escape from her London self. As she recovers her joie de vivre, Dona begins to hear rumours that her wealthy Cornish neighbours are being troubled by the ravages of a dastardly and elusive French pirate. Suddenly certain strange things about Navron start to make sense to Dona; and then one day, while exploring the woods around her home, she discovers a ship moored in a nearby creek. Here is the Frenchman: courteous, educated and entirely different from any other man Dona has met...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2013/08/31/frenchmans-creek-daphne-du-maurier/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Feb 24, 2020 |
Frenchman's Creek
by Daphne du Maurier
1941
4.0 / 5.0

A bittersweet historical adventure, set in Cornwall during the reign of Charles II. A love story between Dona, Lady St. Columb and a French pirate, Jean-Benoit Aubery. Gothic and atmospheric, Daphne is one of the few who can make a romance a page-turner, for me. I just love her writing style and landscapes.

The story is about Lady Dona St. Columb, bored and jaded with her High Society lifestyle. She escapes to the countryside where she meets a French pirate, whose ship has been moored and damaged. His sense of freedom, and adventure wins Dona, and together they embark on a journey that is full of love, and, of course, danger. ( )
  over.the.edge | Feb 5, 2020 |
Re-read May 14, 2017 - Still just as wonderful as the first time I read it. This book is a wonderful adventure.

I loved this book! It has so many things that I love. I takes place in Cornwall (one of my favorite literary settings), it was written by Daphne du Maurier (my favorite author), it has pirates (yes), French pirates (oui), and there were many places were I laughed out loud. I can't believe I waited so long to read this book. LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
St. Barts 2019 #1 - A slightly predictable sappy romance love story that takes place on the coast of Cornwall that delves into the predicament of actually 'living' vs. going thru the motions as to what others expect of you. Was briefly startled by the lead character's wanton abandonment of her husband, and eventually children for a wee bit of excitement and 'living' with a French pirate.....but was it a necessary step in her truly finding her place? More adventure and slightly anxious moments than i expected which bumped it up a 1/2-star. This is no "Rebecca', but certainly worthy of my time. And I love my little glossy covered Pocket Book with its own serial number, and the gloss layer coming loose at the edges....the book i hold being almost as interesting to me as the printed word inside! ( )
  jeffome | Jan 6, 2019 |

du Maurier, Daphneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Castle, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCaddon, WandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Myerson, JulieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Paddy and Christopher
Back in 1975 when I was fifteen and already determined to Be A Novelist, I wrote a letter to Daphne du Maurier. (Introduction)
When the east wind blows up Helford River the shining waters become troubled and disturbed and the little waves beat angrily upon the sandy shores. The short seas break above the bar at ebb-tide, and the waders fly inland to the mud-flats, their wings skimming the surface, and calling to one another as they go. Only the gulls remain, wheeling and crying above the foam, diving now and again in search of food, their grey feathers glistening with the salt spray.

VIRAGO EDITION:
Lady Dona St Columb is beautiful, headstrong - and bored. Desperate to escape the pomp and ritual of the Restoration Court, she retreats to the hidden creeks and secret woods of the family estate at Navron, in Cornwall. Though renowned for her passionate engagement with life, privately she yearns for freedom, integrity and love - whatever the cost.

The peace Lady Dona craves, however, eludes her from the moment she stumbles across the mooring place of a white-sailed ship that plunders the Cornish coast. And as she becomes embroiled in a plot to steal another ship from under the nose of the English authorities, she realises that her heart is under seige from the French philosopher-pirate Jean Aubrey...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,907,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible