Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Ghost Story (1979)

by Peter Straub

English (89)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (92)
Interesting, inventive story. It was slower paced than I expected it to be. I read most of it but picked up the audio version on sale to help me finish the last 10%. The audio version was OK once I increased the speed on my iPod. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
This is the first book that made me scream in terror while reading. I'm afraid to read it again. No hyperbole. ( )
  HarpersOmah | Mar 17, 2019 |
We see things, but we don’t believe them; we feel things—people watching us, sinister things following us—but we dismiss them as fantasies. We dream horrors, but try to forget them.

A group of old friends calling themselves the Chowder Society get together regularly to smoke a few cigars, have a few drinks, and enjoy each other's company. But when they begin telling each other stories ("What was the worst thing you've ever done?" "I won't tell you that, but I'll tell you the worst thing that ever happened to me-the most dreadful thing...") old memories are dredged up and something is unleashed upon the sleepy little town of Millburn, New York.

At first - because of the book blurb or a review - I thought this was going to be a series of short stories, and with the prologue you might think that's correct. But it's not short stories at all; instead it's a rather lengthy ghost story with one spooky story at the heart of it. By my count, this is my 5th Halloween read so far this season, and this was one of the best. It's kind of slow moving for a while (I actually enjoy a slow-burning book), but eventually you're in a horror novel with evil beings hell-bent on death and destruction. In fact, I was strongly reminded of Stephen King's Needful Things, although this book precedes that one by a decade or so. It's a bit lengthy, and some of the characters got a little cheesy by the ending, but still a very good story. ( )
  J.Green | Mar 15, 2019 |
I was quite enjoying this at first, but a couple hundred pages in it turned into an enormous slog. The ghost story isn't a ghost story at all, more of a monster movie along the lines of [b:'Salem's Lot|11590|'Salem's Lot|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327891565s/11590.jpg|3048937] or [b:It|830502|It|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1334416842s/830502.jpg|150259]. In fact the writing is so much like Stephen King's that his Constant Readers are really the only ones to which I could possibly recommend this novel. Me, I don't really read him any more and I think Straub's not for me either (this being my second or third go with his work.) Maybe Ghost Story was fresh in 1979, but it feels like a retread now. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
I was sitting here today thinking that I would like to write a review of a scary book that I've read and the scariest book ever to me was Ghost Story by Peter Straub. It begins with 4 old, rich, men, pillars of their community, sitting together and swapping scary stories. It evolves into the past catching up with their present. It's one of those books that I will never forget, I was so frightened whilst reading it that one night, I was afraid to walk from the driveway into the house in the dark. It is a classic horror story and if this is your genre, it's a book you must read. So, just in time for you to enjoy a good scare with Halloween around the corner, here is my suggestion for you. Enjoy! ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |

Has the adaptation

The chasm was merely one of the orifices of that pit of blackness that lies beneath us, everywhere. -- The Marble Faun, Nathaniel Hawthorne
Ghosts are always hungry. -- R.D. Jameson
For Valli Shaio and Gregorio Kohon
What was the worst thing you've ever done?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671685635, Mass Market Paperback)

In life, not every sin goes unpunished.

GHOST STORY

Peter Straub's classic bestseller is a work of "superb horror" (The Washington Post Book World) that, like any good ghost story, stands the test of time -- and conjures our darkest fears and nightmares.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:45 -0400)

For four aging men in the terror-stricken town of Milburn, New York, an act inadvertently carried out in their youth has come back to haunt them. Now they are about to learn what happens to those who believe they can bury the past -- and get away with murder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,538,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible