Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Ghost Story (original 1979; edition 1989)

by Peter Straub

Title:Ghost Story
Authors:Peter Straub
Info:Pocket Books (1989), Edition: Multiple Printings, Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Ghost Story by Peter Straub (1979)

English (72)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (74)
First animals, then people, are being murdered in an odd way in the small town of Milburn, New York. There seems to be a connection to a group of elderly men, a group of friends, who have known each other since they were young.

The book was good, the second half much better than the first. The first half was a lot of introduction of characters and background information and there was a lot of both of those. Unfortunately, I did lose interest during some parts of the first half of the book. It really picked up for me in the second half, though, as things really got going and got interesting. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 4, 2016 |
Horror ( )
  SidWilliams | Aug 17, 2016 |
Peter Straub has created a timeless tale of terror, an enduring classic. Reduced to its essentials, Ghost Story is a tale of supernatural revenge. As young men, Ricky Hawthorne, Sears James, Edward Wanderly, Lewis Benedikt and John Jaffrey accidentally kill a woman named Eva Galli. They panic, and decide to cover up her death. Placing her body in a borrowed car, they push the vehicle into a nearby lake. As the car sinks into the muck, they see a sight that haunts them for the rest of their lives: for a moment, it appears as if Eva is still alive, as they catch a glimpse of her face through the rear window. Shaken, they vow to keep her death a secret, and go on with their lives. Fifty years later, the group still lives in their hometown of Milburn, NY, prosperous and content. Now known as The Chowder Society, they meet on a regular basis to swap ghost stories, but they never speak of Eva. Then, Edward Wanderly dies during a party given in the honor of an actress named Anne-Veronica Moore, apparently of fright. The remaining members experience a series of prophetic dreams in which several of them die. Unable to admit to themselves that Eva Galli has returned to haunt them, they send for Don Wanderley, Ed's nephew. A writer by trade, Don has penned a horror novel called The Nightwatcher, based, we later learn, on his own experiences with Eva, known to him as Alma Mobley. Don's arrival in Milburn seems to send a signal to the evil which threatens the group, resulting in the deaths of two more of their number. The survivors band with Don and Peter Barnes, a young man whose mother has been killed by Eva and her minions. Together they struggle to locate and destroy their nemesis.

I read this book for the first time twenty-four years ago. I recall that I liked it then and it was one of the first books in the horror genre that I had ever read. I believe this book was the one that got me started reading other authors that write horror suspense, and I have never forgotten it. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Do not recommend - I should have realized after this book began with a lengthy red herring opener about a child molester that this probably wasn't the novel for me, but I pushed through and was curious as I slogged along to see where all of the lengthy buildup and extended "smalltown dudes hanging out and being dudes" scenes were going to end.........what a letdown!

I don't go into pulpy horror novels expecting literary genius, but what I do expect is some great suspense followed by some kind of provoking, compelling, exciting close - and this book failed on all levels for me. Obnoxious stock characters, an overlong buildup and a totally uninteresting climax and denouement. ( )
  KLmesoftly | May 16, 2016 |
Kept waiting for something scary to happen and I don't think it ever did. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
The chasm was merely one of the orifices of that pit of blackness that lies beneath us, everywhere. -- The Marble Faun, Nathaniel Hawthorne
Ghosts are always hungry. -- R.D. Jameson
For Valli Shaio and Gregorio Kohon
What was the worst thing you've ever done?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671685635, Mass Market Paperback)

In life, not every sin goes unpunished.

Peter Straub's classic bestseller is a work of "superb horror" (The Washington Post Book World) that, like any good ghost story, stands the test of time -- and conjures our darkest fears and nightmares.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:45 -0400)

For four aging men in the terror-stricken town of Milburn, New York, an act inadvertently carried out in their youth has come back to haunt them. Now they are about to learn what happens to those who believe they can bury the past -- and get away with murder.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,702,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible