Girl with a Pearl Earring, Deluxe Edition by…

Girl with a Pearl Earring, Deluxe Edition (original 1999; edition 2005)

by Tracy Chevalier

Member:PaolaF
Title:Girl with a Pearl Earring, Deluxe Edition
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Info:Plume (2005), Edition: Deluxe, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (1999)

English (238)  Spanish (4)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Thingamabrarian (the ideal language) (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (258)
4.5 Stars. A well told story and excellent reading experience that just carries you away. An interesting perspective of life in 17th Century Holland and how artists frame pictures, and structure a picture. Tracy Chevalier's books may be short but they do have a flavour all of their own and give you an experience of life in the times she writes about. I very much look forward to my next book by her. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
This was not the story I was expecting when I downloaded it and I am so glad it wasn't. I really enjoyed the simplicity of this story. The narrator (Jenna Lamia) only added to the simplicity. Griet was an interesting character that added a new dynamic to this artist's family life. She was swept up in his artistic life without losing herself completely to it. I loved hearing about how the various paintings were planned out and executed. I also loved the ending of the story and could not have imagined a better one." ( )
1 vote jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Review: Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier.

I enjoyed reading this book. Tracy Chevalier captured the essence of the painting and wrote in words the story of Griet, a protestant young girl and the talented Catholic Johannes Vermeer, the painter. I quickly got attached to the characters and smitten by the descriptive poise style writing. The flow of words kept me fascinated with the story’s plot and events surrounding Griet and Vermeer.

First Chevalier begins with the young girl’s story why she needed to leave home to work as a maid, only to see her family on Sunday’s. Griet also inherited her father’s artistic sensitivity to submitted form, angles and color because her father was a glass blower through her young life. So, by getting the maids job with the Vermeer’s family was an asset to both her and Vermeer.

Other character’s such as Catherine, Vermeer wife, was a young woman who could be spiteful at times, she was accountable to no one but herself and very naïve throughout the book. Then the reader gets to meet Maria, the mother and overseer of the house. She is clever and resourceful and never let’s her guard down and at times takes to the shadow of the family’s surroundings and events to make herself invisible, unknown to what’s going on when she is really the culprit.

By the time Vermeer gets around to notice Griet, her life begins to change. With no intent she becomes his aide and finally, a model for the famous painting. So, many things started changing in the house as to what work Griet would be doing. Going from being over burdened with chores and snide remarks from others, Griet has less chores, treated better, more freedom and given a room over the studio where Vermeer paints, which is the attic. It becomes her bedroom and a place off to the side where she aides Vermeer grinding his materials he uses to make his color for his paintings.

Much more happens throughout the story involving Griet’s family and the Vermeer’s family, until the final days in the story that unravels the story behind the painting….

As an unpublished artist myself, of many oil paintings I do own a reprint of THE LITTLE STREET by Johannes Vermeer, 1658 I bought in New York a few years back hanging in my living room…..His work is great and I believe Tracy Chevalier captured his artistic character in this wonderful story.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Brilliant ( )
  Hart_Stillwell | Apr 19, 2016 |
Griet is a 16 year old girl that never thought she would become a maid. That is until her father's accident that causes him to loose his trade. She starts working for the painter Vermeer and his family in their home in Delft, Netherlands. She does what she's told on a daily basis and doesn't do wrong to the family, that is until she is asked to sit and be painted for a customer that loves her wide eyes.

**Contains Spoilers**
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I liked how it was written as well as the characters themselves. I was honestly waiting for romance to happen between Vermeer and Griet but was surprised when nothing physical happened. I was a little surprised by Pieter and Griets relationship but overall I'm glad that she made him her decision in the end. I liked that she didn't move away from the city because of what happened but just changed her life and is happy in the end. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
For a while it seems that it will be... an artist romance. Tracy Chevalier steers her novel deliberately close and tacks abruptly away. The book she has written, despite a lush note or two and occasional incident overload, is something far different and better... [Instead, it is] a brainy novel whose passion is ideas.

Chevalier's exploration into the soul of this complex but nave young woman is moving, and her depiction of 17th-century Delft is marvelously evocative.

Tracy Chevalierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vázquez, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wulfekamp, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
My mother did not tell me they were coming.

Chevalier's classic book takes place during the 17th Century and features Griet, a young Dutch maid, who moves in with the family of the well-known artist Vermeer; she discovers that her profession requires long hours, no privacy, and small contact with her own ailing family. However, Griet's only place of solitude is when she cleans Vermeer's studio and reveals to him her appreciation of his art.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452282152, Paperback)

With precisely 35 canvases to his credit, the Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer represents one of the great enigmas of 17th-century art. The meager facts of his biography have been gleaned from a handful of legal documents. Yet Vermeer's extraordinary paintings of domestic life, with their subtle play of light and texture, have come to define the Dutch golden age. His portrait of the anonymous Girl with a Pearl Earring has exerted a particular fascination for centuries--and it is this magnetic painting that lies at the heart of Tracy Chevalier's second novel of the same title.

Girl with a Pearl Earring centers on Vermeer's prosperous Delft household during the 1660s. When Griet, the novel's quietly perceptive heroine, is hired as a servant, turmoil follows. First, the 16-year-old narrator becomes increasingly intimate with her master. Then Vermeer employs her as his assistant--and ultimately has Griet sit for him as a model. Chevalier vividly evokes the complex domestic tensions of the household, ruled over by the painter's jealous, eternally pregnant wife and his taciturn mother-in-law. At times the relationship between servant and master seems a little anachronistic. Still, Girl with a Pearl Earring does contain a final delicious twist.

Throughout, Chevalier cultivates a limpid, painstakingly observed style, whose exactitude is an effective homage to the painter himself. Even Griet's most humdrum duties take on a high if unobtrusive gloss:

I came to love grinding the things he brought from the apothecary--bones, white lead, madder, massicot--to see how bright and pure I could get the colors. I learned that the finer the materials were ground, the deeper the color. From rough, dull grains madder became a fine bright red powder and, mixed with linseed oil, a sparkling paint. Making it and the other colors was magical.
In assembling such quotidian particulars, the author acknowledges her debt to Simon Schama's classic study The Embarrassment of Riches. Her novel also joins a crop of recent, painterly fictions, including Deborah Moggach's Tulip Fever and Susan Vreeland's Girl in Hyacinth Blue. Can novelists extract much more from the Dutch golden age? The question is an open one--but in the meantime, Girl with a Pearl Earring remains a fascinating piece of speculative historical fiction, and an appealingly new take on an old master. --Jerry Brotton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:39 -0400)

Holland comes to dazzling life in this richly imagined portrait of Griet, a sixteen year old of the 1660s who inspired one of Vermeer's most celebrated paintings.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,866,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible