Girl with a Pearl Earring, Deluxe Edition by…

Girl with a Pearl Earring, Deluxe Edition (original 1999; edition 2005)

by Tracy Chevalier

Member:PaolaF
Title:Girl with a Pearl Earring, Deluxe Edition
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Info:Plume (2005), Edition: Deluxe, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (1999)

English (235)  Spanish (4)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Thingamabrarian (the ideal language) (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (255)
Brilliant ( )
  Hart_Stillwell | Apr 19, 2016 |
Griet is a 16 year old girl that never thought she would become a maid. That is until her father's accident that causes him to loose his trade. She starts working for the painter Vermeer and his family in their home in Delft, Netherlands. She does what she's told on a daily basis and doesn't do wrong to the family, that is until she is asked to sit and be painted for a customer that loves her wide eyes.

**Contains Spoilers**
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I liked how it was written as well as the characters themselves. I was honestly waiting for romance to happen between Vermeer and Griet but was surprised when nothing physical happened. I was a little surprised by Pieter and Griets relationship but overall I'm glad that she made him her decision in the end. I liked that she didn't move away from the city because of what happened but just changed her life and is happy in the end. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
I really wanted to read the book, because of Vermeer, a great artist, I watched the movie so many times, I know that the story isn't talking a lot about his art but it talks about how Vermeer brought a muse to his heart, how he brought this wonderful piece of art alive!! I am not sure if it is true or not! but it is so real and beautiful. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Very nice blend of personalizing/humanizing characters along with the historical context. You end up really caring about the characters in the story. I have not read much 'historical fiction', but this book piques my interest. I'll look for another one by Tracy Chevalier #historicalfiction #Chevalier ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Mar 10, 2016 |
Inspired by the Vermeer painting, this historical novel might be a disappointment if one was hoping to learn about the life and motivations of the master painter. Instead, the book focuses on the fictional Griet, a young woman who is forced to take a position as a maid in the Vermeer household, after her own family falls on hard times. (It reminded me a little of Valerie Martin's re-telling of the Jekyll & Hyde story from the point of view of the maid, ‘Mary Reilly')
In bringing vividly to life the trials and hopes of Griet, as well as what it may have been like to work as a maid in 17th century Delft, the book succeeds fabulously... the book is ‘quiet' – there's not much action, no extraordinary events... but the littlest things become points of high tension through Chevalier's writing. Will the bullying child Cornelia succeed in ruining Griet's reputation? Will anything come of the sleazy art patron who's trying to sleaze his way into her skirts? How about the handsome young butcher who pays her attention at the market? And what will happen with her almost-unrealized crush on Vermeer himself?
I'll definitely check out more of Chevalier's books if I come across them! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
For a while it seems that it will be... an artist romance. Tracy Chevalier steers her novel deliberately close and tacks abruptly away. The book she has written, despite a lush note or two and occasional incident overload, is something far different and better... [Instead, it is] a brainy novel whose passion is ideas.

Chevalier's exploration into the soul of this complex but nave young woman is moving, and her depiction of 17th-century Delft is marvelously evocative.

Tracy Chevalierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vázquez, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wulfekamp, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
My mother did not tell me they were coming.

Chevalier's classic book takes place during the 17th Century and features Griet, a young Dutch maid, who moves in with the family of the well-known artist Vermeer; she discovers that her profession requires long hours, no privacy, and small contact with her own ailing family. However, Griet's only place of solitude is when she cleans Vermeer's studio and reveals to him her appreciation of his art.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452282152, Paperback)

With precisely 35 canvases to his credit, the Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer represents one of the great enigmas of 17th-century art. The meager facts of his biography have been gleaned from a handful of legal documents. Yet Vermeer's extraordinary paintings of domestic life, with their subtle play of light and texture, have come to define the Dutch golden age. His portrait of the anonymous Girl with a Pearl Earring has exerted a particular fascination for centuries--and it is this magnetic painting that lies at the heart of Tracy Chevalier's second novel of the same title.

Girl with a Pearl Earring centers on Vermeer's prosperous Delft household during the 1660s. When Griet, the novel's quietly perceptive heroine, is hired as a servant, turmoil follows. First, the 16-year-old narrator becomes increasingly intimate with her master. Then Vermeer employs her as his assistant--and ultimately has Griet sit for him as a model. Chevalier vividly evokes the complex domestic tensions of the household, ruled over by the painter's jealous, eternally pregnant wife and his taciturn mother-in-law. At times the relationship between servant and master seems a little anachronistic. Still, Girl with a Pearl Earring does contain a final delicious twist.

Throughout, Chevalier cultivates a limpid, painstakingly observed style, whose exactitude is an effective homage to the painter himself. Even Griet's most humdrum duties take on a high if unobtrusive gloss:

I came to love grinding the things he brought from the apothecary--bones, white lead, madder, massicot--to see how bright and pure I could get the colors. I learned that the finer the materials were ground, the deeper the color. From rough, dull grains madder became a fine bright red powder and, mixed with linseed oil, a sparkling paint. Making it and the other colors was magical.
In assembling such quotidian particulars, the author acknowledges her debt to Simon Schama's classic study The Embarrassment of Riches. Her novel also joins a crop of recent, painterly fictions, including Deborah Moggach's Tulip Fever and Susan Vreeland's Girl in Hyacinth Blue. Can novelists extract much more from the Dutch golden age? The question is an open one--but in the meantime, Girl with a Pearl Earring remains a fascinating piece of speculative historical fiction, and an appealingly new take on an old master. --Jerry Brotton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:39 -0400)

Holland comes to dazzling life in this richly imagined portrait of Griet, a sixteen year old of the 1660s who inspired one of Vermeer's most celebrated paintings.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,882,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible