Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Girl with a Pearl Earring (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Tracy Chevalier

Member:bolgai
Title:Girl with a Pearl Earring
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Info:Plume (2001), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (1999)

English (247)  Italian (4)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  German (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (266)
Girl With a Pearl Earring is such a beautifully written book with a compelling story. I find the story about young Griet working for Johannes Vermeer fascinating. How Tracy Chevalier used the painting of Girl with a Pearl Earring to weave such a fantastic story. Griet is just an ordinary girl, needing to work after her father had an accident and how her life changed after she came to the Vermeer household. it's not an easy position, it's only Johannes Vermeer that she's not having a problem with. And, I love that it doesn't turn out to be a cheesy forbidden love story. It goes deeper than that. I just love this book. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 25, 2017 |
Chevalier has spun a beautiful piece of historical fiction around a famous painting. She tells the story of Griet, a maid in Vermeer's household, who becomes immersed in his world and his art.

Chevalier packs an emotional punch in a short novel, and makes art come alive through the written word. This is one of those books that truly deserves the hype it received upon its publication, and I'm only sorry I waited so long to finally read it. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Feb 12, 2017 |
Beautiful and very interesting. ( )
  buckwriter | Jan 29, 2017 |
An insightful look into the life of a young girl growing into maturity during
the mid-seventeenth century in Delpth. It is written as though in her own words and describes her thoughts and feelings when she becomes a maid in the household of the famous painter Vermeer. A good read particulary from an historical viewpoint. ( )
  justmum | Jan 7, 2017 |
The very first time I saw the cover of Girl with a Pearl Earring, I was truly mesmerized and intrigued by the look in the girl’s face. I did some digging later, and found out is an actual painting by Johannes Vermeer, 17th century Dutch artist and dealer. Being a bit of a history buff and a lover of art, I was not going to pass out on reading this book, although it had to stay on my wish list for a while before I actually went ahead and bought the book.

In this Ted Talk Tracy Chevalier tells us about how she made up a back story for this painting, which would later become the keystone of her novel. Griet was sixteen when she gets sent to be a maid in the Vermeer household due to unfortunate circumstances at home. Doing laundry and cleaning Vermeer’s studio are Griet’s main tasks, however Griet has to face many hardships within the Vermeer household itself, with no allies so to speak of except Johannes’ mother-in-law Maria Thins and Johannes himself. So the studio becomes the place where Griet seeks solace.

As the story goes on, we realize Johannes Vermeer is a slow painter. He would paint two-three painting a year at most, which is hardly enough feed an ever-growing family (by the time Griet entered the household, Johannes and his wife, Catharina had five children and one on the way). When Van Ruijven, a married patron and a lecher, who has commissioned several of Johannes’ paintings asks to sit for one with Griet, what would happen? Johannes can not afford to turn down Van’s request for his wrath would put his family in jeopardy, but at the same time Johannes cares for Griet. This conundrum gives birth to the painting “Girl with a Pearl Earring”.

"He saw things in a way that others did not, so that a city I had lived in all my life seemed a different place, so that a woman became beautiful with the light on her face."

Girl with a Pearl Earring is an astounding novel because it also brings into life other paintings of Johannes Vermeer, the ultimate enigma. Among the other paintings which appear in this novel, “The View of Delft” is my favorite.

Having read Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier, I must add that I do not think Girl with a Pearl Earring is her best. Yet, if not for this novel, or the subsequent movie, most of us would not have stumbled upon Girl with a Pearl Earring painting, which is often referred to as “Mona Lisa of the North”. And for that, I am grateful to Tracy Chevalier!🙂 ( )
  Nirmala.Chandrasiri | Dec 6, 2016 |
For a while it seems that it will be... an artist romance. Tracy Chevalier steers her novel deliberately close and tacks abruptly away. The book she has written, despite a lush note or two and occasional incident overload, is something far different and better... [Instead, it is] a brainy novel whose passion is ideas.

Chevalier's exploration into the soul of this complex but nave young woman is moving, and her depiction of 17th-century Delft is marvelously evocative.

Tracy Chevalierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vázquez, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wulfekamp, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
My mother did not tell me they were coming.

Chevalier's classic book takes place during the 17th Century and features Griet, a young Dutch maid, who moves in with the family of the well-known artist Vermeer; she discovers that her profession requires long hours, no privacy, and small contact with her own ailing family. However, Griet's only place of solitude is when she cleans Vermeer's studio and reveals to him her appreciation of his art.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452282152, Paperback)

With precisely 35 canvases to his credit, the Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer represents one of the great enigmas of 17th-century art. The meager facts of his biography have been gleaned from a handful of legal documents. Yet Vermeer's extraordinary paintings of domestic life, with their subtle play of light and texture, have come to define the Dutch golden age. His portrait of the anonymous Girl with a Pearl Earring has exerted a particular fascination for centuries--and it is this magnetic painting that lies at the heart of Tracy Chevalier's second novel of the same title.

Girl with a Pearl Earring centers on Vermeer's prosperous Delft household during the 1660s. When Griet, the novel's quietly perceptive heroine, is hired as a servant, turmoil follows. First, the 16-year-old narrator becomes increasingly intimate with her master. Then Vermeer employs her as his assistant--and ultimately has Griet sit for him as a model. Chevalier vividly evokes the complex domestic tensions of the household, ruled over by the painter's jealous, eternally pregnant wife and his taciturn mother-in-law. At times the relationship between servant and master seems a little anachronistic. Still, Girl with a Pearl Earring does contain a final delicious twist.

Throughout, Chevalier cultivates a limpid, painstakingly observed style, whose exactitude is an effective homage to the painter himself. Even Griet's most humdrum duties take on a high if unobtrusive gloss:

I came to love grinding the things he brought from the apothecary--bones, white lead, madder, massicot--to see how bright and pure I could get the colors. I learned that the finer the materials were ground, the deeper the color. From rough, dull grains madder became a fine bright red powder and, mixed with linseed oil, a sparkling paint. Making it and the other colors was magical.
In assembling such quotidian particulars, the author acknowledges her debt to Simon Schama's classic study The Embarrassment of Riches. Her novel also joins a crop of recent, painterly fictions, including Deborah Moggach's Tulip Fever and Susan Vreeland's Girl in Hyacinth Blue. Can novelists extract much more from the Dutch golden age? The question is an open one--but in the meantime, Girl with a Pearl Earring remains a fascinating piece of speculative historical fiction, and an appealingly new take on an old master. --Jerry Brotton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:39 -0400)

Chevalier transports readers to a bygone time and place in this richly imagined portrait of the young woman who inspired one of Vermeer's most celebrated paintings. "Girl with a Pearl Earring" is the story of 16-year-old Griet, whose life is transformed by her brief encounter with genius, even as she herself is immortalized in canvas and oil. An Independent Bestseller Winner of the 2000 Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers Award! Tracy Chevalier transports readers to a bygone time and place in this richly-imagined portrait of the young woman who inspired one of Vermeer's most celebrated paintings. History and fiction merge seamlessly in this luminous novel about artistic vision and sensual awakening. Girl with a Pearl Earring tells the story of sixteen-year-old Griet, whose life is transformed by her brief encounter with genius even as she herself is immortalized in canvas and oil.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,670,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible