Joy in the Morning by P. G. Wodehouse

Joy in the Morning (1947)

by P. G. Wodehouse

All member reviews
English (21)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (23)
When they are a bit longer, they are just even betterer.
  amyem58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Another delightful instalment from the chronicles of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves.

I won't bother to summarise the plot. For one thing, it is, as usual with Wodehouse's stories, incredibly complicated (though he always managed to resolve all the various threads), but also because when deconstructed it would simply sound very silly. Of course it IS all very silly, but Wodehouse binds it all together in the most enchanting and beguiling way. His use of language, liberally sprinkled with Jeeves's quotations from the classics, and his endearing and enduring characters make the suspension of disbelief very simple.

This particular book is one of the best in the Bertie Wooster and Jeeves series, and features a lot of the leading characters from the oeuvre: D'Arcy 'Stilton' Cheesewright, Lady Florence Cray, Edmund (the lethal boy scout) and Boko Fittleworth, and Bertie's fearsome Aunt Agatha (who is believed to wear barbed wire close to the skin) is hovering in the shadows. ( )
2 vote Eyejaybee | Apr 10, 2014 |
Bertie Wooster has a knack for getting into sticky situations. Fortunately his man, Jeeves, has a knack for getting him unstuck. This episode finds Bertie once again in an unwanted engagement, and his every attempt to extricate himself from the engagement backfires. An obnoxious Boy Scout, a shipping magnate/family patriarch, an ex-fiance/policeman, a pair of star-crossed lovers, and Aunt Agatha keep Bertie hopping. Just when it seems things can't get any worse, Jeeves steps in to save the day.

The audio version of Wodehouse's books works better than the print for me. I'm not used to the slang, and the narrator's interpretation makes it more understandable so that I can effortlessly enjoy the flow of witty dialogue. I like to listen to audiobooks in the morning while getting ready for work, and Jeeves and Wooster get my day off to a great start. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Feb 18, 2014 |
Another zany entry in the Jeeves and Wooster series. Well worth reading ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 17, 2013 |
it's interesting to hear other actors besides fry + laurie. jeeves was ok. mostly he says stuff like "very good sir" but bertie sounded stupid. laurie is so good looking and he never sounds stupid. he just is. ( )
  mahallett | Apr 29, 2013 |
I can't remember the last time a book made me laugh out loud like this one does. ( )
  paakre | Apr 27, 2013 |
Comical and artfully written. A master of words. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Apr 7, 2013 |
I had absolutely forgotten how delightful this book is, and this cast was glorious. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
Full Disclosure: As a huge fan of P.G. Wodehouse, my default rating is a hearty four stars.

Joy in the Morning has grown on me. The more often I read it, the better I like it. It still doesn't reach the heady heights of The Mating Season, but I love it nonetheless. It has all the right elements--scheming school friends, fancy dress balls, exploding houses, and of course, Jeeves to save the day. The lighthearted nature is all the more surprising when you consider that most of the book was written while the author was interred by the Nazis, and was edited and published when he was in national disgrace for his ill-judged broadcasts from Berlin.

Recommendation: An indispensable chapter in the Jeeves series. ( )
  shabacus | Aug 8, 2012 |
The next in the Bertie Wooster series. I think this is best summef up by a review by Marian Keyes on the inside cover: 'The ultimate comfort reading because nothing ever happens in Wodehouse land. Or even if it does, it's always sorted out by the end of the book. For as long as I am immersed in a P.G Wodehouse book, it is possible to keep the real world at bay, and live in a far, far nicer, funnier one where happy endings are the order of the day'.

That sums it up pretty nicely, I think. ( )
  notmyrealname | Apr 12, 2010 |
If you’ve never read PG Wodehouse, please do yourself a favor and go out and get one of his books. This one in particular would be an excellent place to start. It involves some of my favorite characters in the Jeeves and Wooster universe — Boko Fittleworth, Nobby Hopwood, Edwin the Boy Scout, Stilton Cheesewright . . . not to mention Jeeves and Wooster themselves. Wodehouse is a master of humor, plot, and character (seriously, those names! Brilliant! And I didn’t even mention J Chichister Clam!), and I’ve yet to come across anyone who writes the way he does. And the dialogue — I can honestly say that every sentence is a delight. Wodehouse weaves together a hilarious, ridiculous plot that dips and turns and has each of the characters in different scrapes, out of which they must escape — almost always with Jeeves’ expert help. Accidental engagements! Business deals in the potting shed! A pinched policeman’s uniform! A fancy costume ball! Wodehouse is a master at writing these little farcical gems, and Jeeves in the Morning is easily in my top three of his works that I’ve read.

Read my complete review here: http://c2rcc.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/8-jeeves-in-the-morning-by-pg-wodehouse/ ( )
2 vote letseatgrandpa | Mar 9, 2010 |
With a Jeeves and Wooster novel, you know what you're going to get from the first page, and "Joy in the Morning", Bertie's account of the Steeple Bumpleigh Horror, doesn't fail to deliver.

Steeple Bumpleigh is the country home of Percy, Lord Worplesdon, the shipping magnate brave enough to be married to Bertie's fearsome Aunt Agatha and step-father to Zenobia "Nobby" Hopwood and her brother, the overzealous scout Edwin. Nobby, a recently published author (Bertie first encounters her after accidentally picking up her book in a shop when searching for some Spinoza for Jeeves), is being romanced by local author "Boko" Fittleworth. As if containing Aunt Agatha wasnn't bad enough from his point of view, his former fiancée Florence Craye is also a resident and the local copper is one of his other nemeses, D'Arcy "Stilton" Cheesewright, also Florence's latest suitor. It is, to Bertie, a place to be avoided.

Nevertheless, in order to oil the wheels of commerce with Uncle Percy negotiating a merger with the American J. Chichester Clam, plus to help his pal Boko, Bertie finds himself drawn into the place, possibly by Jeeves's desire to enjoy some of the local fishing. The inevitable hilarious consequences ensue and Jeeves, when all looks lost, manages to save the day.

As ever, the language is inventive, the situations ludicrously contrived, it's all rather innocent and it all ends happily ever after. Top notch entertainment? Rather, old bean! ( )
2 vote Grammath | Jan 6, 2010 |
Jeeves in the Morning chronicles Bertie Wooster's near-disastrous career at Steeple Bumpleigh, the ancestral home of his most terrifying of relations, Aunt Agatha, and her scarcely less gruesome family members. There is Lord Percival Worplesdon, her husband, who figures in Bertie's boyhood as the pursuing man with the horsewhip. There is Florence, Bertie's cousin who believes him to be madly in love with her and who feels the need to mold him. And there is Edwin.

Though he isn't really a main character, Edwin really is a stroke of genius on Wodehouse's part. Edwin is Lord Worplesdon's son and Florence's younger brother, and he is a Boy Scout bent on doing good deeds. His good deeds usually involve loss of life or limb to the person to whom they are administered. It's so funny to read him totting up his good deeds (the goal is one per day). His first act of kindness toward Bertie involves the complete devastation by fire of Bertie's little cottage Wee Nooke.

The plot of this story reminded me a little too much of The Code of the Woosters. The same characters seem to keep popping up under different names. Wodehouse is always witty, but this one didn't cause quite as many outbursts of laughter as his other works. (I will admit, however, I did howl over the description of a hangover-recovering Catsmeat Pirbright-Potter falling victim to a lunchtable gag, after which "strong men had to rally round with brandy.")

Wodehouse loves having his characters tangle with the law and specifically with policemen whose garments they have pinched for some exigency or another. And, as usual, there's a lot of literary humor. Wodehouse makes fun of authors (one of the main characters in this story, Boko, is a well-known writer). It's so tongue-in-cheek. And I love his offhand comment about Shakespeare: "Sounds well, but there's really no meaning to it."

In the end, everything is sorted out to satisfaction. Joy comes in the morning, usually in the person of Jeeves. Despite its similarities to other Wodehouse books, this is certainly an amusing story, and you can't go wrong with Jeeves and Wooster. ( )
3 vote wisewoman | May 19, 2009 |
If you want to laugh, and you like farce, particularly English farce that pokes fun at their class system, I think you'll like this tale. Though I did laugh more while reading "Code of the Woosters." The Overlook Press edition is easy on the eyes and feels good in the hand, but it has no secondary material. ( )
  wdavidhurley | Jan 13, 2009 |
Bertie Wooster spends three horrible days in Steeple Bumpleigh. ( )
  Pferdina | Nov 2, 2008 |
Right up there with The Cose of the Woosters as the best of Wodehouse. Bertie in Aunt Agatha country, featuring another loopy novellist (Boko Fittleworth) and an irascible Lord (my dear Worplesdon...) ( )
  ianw | Sep 15, 2008 |
This is my favorite Wodehouse book so far; a hilarious story that keeps you wondering how Jeeves is going to manage to get Bertie Wooster out of his mess this time. ( )
  circlesreads | Sep 5, 2008 |
Welp, Wodehouse does it again. I don't know how he consistently produced such gems--surely there's a flop in there somewhere, right? And shame on me, as I began the story I thought, "Wodehouse has set the bar high. Maybe he won't reach it this time." But he did.

I don't know what else to put here... if you've read the Jeeves books, you'll know the basic formula. Wooster gets himself and his friends in a spot... Jeeves finds some elaborate way of getting them out of it.

...though I was amused by Jeeves' behavior. He actually lies, for crying out loud! Jeeves, lying through his teeth!! Whoda thunk it?! And even odder, now and then in this story he drew a blank when trying to think of a way out of a situation.

Great stuff. ( )
  wispywillow | Feb 1, 2008 |
I love woodehouse. ( )
  tuesdaynext | Mar 27, 2007 |
So fine, so Wodehouse. The usual tangles, the usual extrications, the usual gorgeous language and inanities along the way. The usual logically illogical world--and satisfyingly so. ( )
  slipstitch | Sep 5, 2006 |
This was a gift from kwmcdonald that I've just now got around to reading. And oh, such a strange, strange book I find myself having read. This isn't the sort of thing that I normally read, but that's not really a bad thing. It's been a nice light read -- a summer read -- that I was able to nibble through in short bursts over the last few days in between episodes of child-caretaking and other necessities. And it's definitely entertaining. I'd certainly consider reading another by Wodehouse (next summer, maybe,) although my sources tell me the plots are somewhat interchangeable.
  bmcdonald | Jan 7, 2006 |

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,363,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible