Julian's House (Signet) by Judith Hawkes

Julian's House (Signet) (original 1989; edition 1991)

by Judith Hawkes

Member:moonshineandrosefire
Title:Julian's House (Signet)
Authors:Judith Hawkes
Info:Signet (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, 1970-1989, paperback swap, 96-100

Julian's House by Judith Hawkes (1989)

Sally and David Curtiss knew that the old New England house that they had just moved into was rumored to be haunted. However, the newly wed couple of parapsychologists were not scared at all. They had bought the house willingly and planned on studying it in order to find any evidence of supernatural activity.

Sally and David have also planned to work on some recent problems in their marriage. Sally is a somewhat reluctant psychic, and David is secretly jealous of her abilities. He has never had any psychic experiences himself, but desperately wants to have such an experience.

All of the Curtiss' hi-tech equipment shows absolutely no sign of any supernatural activity, but David is still convinced that Sally senses something in the house. As the Curtiss' continue to research the the house's strange and mysterious history, they both begin to experience unusual dreams that reveal the Curtiss' hidden fears and desires.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. The horror built slowly but surely, and the book was very well-written in my opinion. I never actually figured out what form the haunting took. At times it seemed to me that it was primarily possession that was at work, and then it seemed that the house itself had developed a personality throughout the years that was an evil influence in itself.

If I did have one problem with the book, it was that I found that the ending slightly rushed and a little bit of a let down for me. Overall though, I give Julian's House by Judith Hawkes an A+! I will definitely be keeping this book to read again at some point. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Dec 15, 2012 |
This was ok. Drawn out, thought it would be scarier. Did not like how the book ended. ( )
  booklover3258 | Jul 20, 2006 |
What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed? And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand?

Ah, what then?

- Samuel Taylor Coleridge
For Kelly
June 1983 -

At first the new voices are inseparable from the old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451168879, Mass Market Paperback)

This suspenseful haunted-house tale--praised by the New York Times for its "passages rich with descriptive beauty, complex with philosophical theorizing and seductive with hard (and tantalizing) information"--is a rich elaboration on the premise of parapsychologists trying to document ghost behavior. In this instance the researchers are a recently married (and sexually repressed) young couple who move their high-tech equipment into a Victorian house with the requisite history of bumps in the night. They are prepared to encounter supernatural phenomena, but not at all prepared to examine their own psyches. When the house starts acting as a sounding board for their neurotic conflicts, it's not clear whether actual ghosts are acting as interactive mirrors, or if the house is simply a big Rorschach inkblot for the projections of a troubled marriage. Judith Hawkes unfolds all the chilling complexity of the puzzle, and leaves readers to draw their own conclusions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,912,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible