Lincoln's Dreams by Connie Willis

Lincoln's Dreams (1987)

by Connie Willis

Recently added byKelMunger, Hobbesy, SirDi, Magus_Manders, Darmys, markbell, glampunk, private library

English (17)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
This was very entertaining and easy to read. Jeff is a historical researcher for a writer of Civil War novels. One night he meets Annie at a party given by his boss. Jeff's college roommate, Richard, now works at The Sleep Institute and studies dreams. The author has begun to obsess over Lincoln's dreams and asks the roommate to come to the party so they can talk. Roommate brings Anie who is, ostensibly, under his care.

Annie's been having vivid dreams for over a year, and as she tells Jeff about them, he realizes that she's having Robert E. Lee's dreams. Richard is a stand in for the many theories (circa. 1987) about dreams; they're just the mind taking out the garbage every day, they reveal some deep, deep trauma that is too difficult to be faced while conscious. To Richard, they can never be prophetic or part of the Jungian collective subconscious.

When Annie leaves Richard's place and asks for shelter with Jeff, it's revealed that Richard has been trying to drug the dreams out of Amy, to no real great effect. Thinking Amy just needs a safe place away from the doctor and his drugs, Jeff takes her along on a research trip.

Of course, things get complicated. Richard leaves nasty phone messages on the answering machine threatening Jeff about Annie. The author, Broun, has become so obsessed with Lincoln's dreams that he very nearly goes off the deep end and chases dream "specialists" throughout California. Amy's dreams get more intense and Jeff, convinced she is actually having Robert E. Lee's dreams, loses sleep and nearly his sanity trying to keep her safe.

There's far too much reliance on the technology of a remote controlled answering machine (this is 1987, after all), not a good enough explanation for Richard's anger, or for the sudden obsession Broun has or why he keeps changing his current book even though the galleys have been sent to the printer.

There's no answer as to why Annie is actually having these dreams, although the theory is interesting and one I would have liked to have explored a bit more. Are dreams really just the mind taking out the daily garbage? Or do they mean something? Can they be prophetic? Or merely banal, filled with wishful-thinking?

Lincoln's Dreams was good, solid, weekend entertainment. ( )
  AuntieClio | Aug 3, 2014 |
I love this book. Dreams. Lee. Lincoln. Modern day people obsessed (haunted. perhaps?) by the Civil War's "glorious dead". If you're into history or the Civil War, give this book a try. ( )
  alsatia | May 11, 2013 |
war := hell
I didn't write down any notes for this one; the lingering sense is "all the closure of Stuart Little." ( )
  sprite | May 1, 2013 |
Not Willis's best, but fun to read and intriguing nonetheless. The Amazon Kindle version is rife with errors; sometimes 4 typos per chapter. ( )
  drudmann | Mar 17, 2012 |
I read two Connie Willis books before I read Lincoln's Dreams. They were ToSay Nothing of the Dog and The Doomsday Book. Both dealt with time travel.To Say Nothing of the Dog was a fresh book for me and I recommended it toothers. The Doomsday Book, an older book of Willis, was very similar and Idid not like it as much..I did look forward to reading Lincoln's Dreams. Very disappointing. I didnot want to finish it. I kept wondering why this book was published. Itseemed poorly edited. Lots of problems with the storyline.I find that people who love science fiction seem to overlook problems withthe plot or character development. They seem so taken with the genre thatthey are not always especially discriminating.I hope I'm not overgeneralizing. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Batcheller,KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podevin, Jean-FrançoisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It may be that life is not man's most precious possession, after all. Certainly men can be induced to give it away very freely at times, and the terms hardly seem to make sense unless there is something about the whole business that we don't understand. Lives are spent for very insignificant things which benefit the dead not at all - a few rods of ground in a cornfield for instance, or temporary ownership of a little hill or a piece of windy pasture; and now and then they are simply wasted outright, with nobody gaining anything at all.

Bruce Catton
Mr Lincoln's Army
To Courtney and Cordelia
Traveller died of lockjaw two years after Robert E. Lee died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553270257, Mass Market Paperback)

"A novel of classical proportions and virtues...humane and moving."–The Washington Post Book World

"A love story on more than one level, and Ms. Willis does justice to them all. It was only toward the end of the book that I realized how much tension had been generated, how engrossed I was in the characters, how much I cared about their fates."–The New York Times Book Review

For Jeff Johnston, a young historical reseacher for a Civil War novelist, reality is redefined on a bitter cold night near the close of a lingering winter. He meets Annie, an intense and lovely young woman suffering from vivid, intense nightmares. Haunted by the dreamer and her unrelenting dreams, Jeff leads Annie on an emotional odyssey through the heartland of the Civil War in search of a cure. On long-silenced battlefields their relationship blossoms–two obsessed lovers linked by unbreakable chains of history, torn by a duty that could destroy them both. Suspenseful, moving, and highly compelling, Lincoln’s Dreams is a novel of rare imaginative power.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:45 -0400)

Jeff Johnston, a young historical researcher, leads Annie through the old battlefields of the Civil War, hoping to help her find a cure for her haunting nightmares.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible