Lincoln's Dreams by Connie Willis

Lincoln's Dreams (1987)

by Connie Willis

Recently added byglampunk, private library, JeanGoodrich, eraserhead, maritimer

English (17)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
I love this book. Dreams. Lee. Lincoln. Modern day people obsessed (haunted. perhaps?) by the Civil War's "glorious dead". If you're into history or the Civil War, give this book a try. ( )
  alsatia | May 11, 2013 |
war := hell
I didn't write down any notes for this one; the lingering sense is "all the closure of Stuart Little." ( )
  sprite | May 1, 2013 |
One of the things I've liked so much about the Oxford books I've read so far is that they vividly depict the era and focus on those not caught up in actual fighting but still affected by the war. But that component is completely missing from Lincoln's Dreams. You do get some information about Lee's home life and a tiny bit about Lincoln's, but it wasn't the full immersion in an era nor was it about the ordinary populace.

It was good, but not really what I had hoped. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
Not Willis's best, but fun to read and intriguing nonetheless. The Amazon Kindle version is rife with errors; sometimes 4 typos per chapter. ( )
  drudmann | Mar 17, 2012 |
I read two Connie Willis books before I read Lincoln's Dreams. They were ToSay Nothing of the Dog and The Doomsday Book. Both dealt with time travel.To Say Nothing of the Dog was a fresh book for me and I recommended it toothers. The Doomsday Book, an older book of Willis, was very similar and Idid not like it as much..I did look forward to reading Lincoln's Dreams. Very disappointing. I didnot want to finish it. I kept wondering why this book was published. Itseemed poorly edited. Lots of problems with the storyline.I find that people who love science fiction seem to overlook problems withthe plot or character development. They seem so taken with the genre thatthey are not always especially discriminating.I hope I'm not overgeneralizing. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Batcheller,KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podevin, Jean-FrançoisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It may be that life is not man's most precious possession, after all. Certainly men can be induced to give it away very freely at times, and the terms hardly seem to make sense unless there is something about the whole business that we don't understand. Lives are spent for very insignificant things which benefit the dead not at all - a few rods of ground in a cornfield for instance, or temporary ownership of a little hill or a piece of windy pasture; and now and then they are simply wasted outright, with nobody gaining anything at all.

Bruce Catton
Mr Lincoln's Army
To Courtney and Cordelia
Traveller died of lockjaw two years after Robert E. Lee died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553270257, Mass Market Paperback)

"A novel of classical proportions and virtues...humane and moving."–The Washington Post Book World

"A love story on more than one level, and Ms. Willis does justice to them all. It was only toward the end of the book that I realized how much tension had been generated, how engrossed I was in the characters, how much I cared about their fates."–The New York Times Book Review

For Jeff Johnston, a young historical reseacher for a Civil War novelist, reality is redefined on a bitter cold night near the close of a lingering winter. He meets Annie, an intense and lovely young woman suffering from vivid, intense nightmares. Haunted by the dreamer and her unrelenting dreams, Jeff leads Annie on an emotional odyssey through the heartland of the Civil War in search of a cure. On long-silenced battlefields their relationship blossoms–two obsessed lovers linked by unbreakable chains of history, torn by a duty that could destroy them both. Suspenseful, moving, and highly compelling, Lincoln’s Dreams is a novel of rare imaginative power.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:45 -0400)

Jeff Johnston, a young historical researcher, leads Annie through the old battlefields of the Civil War, hoping to help her find a cure for her haunting nightmares.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,640,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible