To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's…

To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela (edition 2008)

by Kevin A. Codd

Member:onceinabluemoon
Title:To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela
Authors:Kevin A. Codd
Info:Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2013

To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago De Compostela by Kevin A. Codd

I enjoyed every word of this gorgeous, honest, life-giving journey with Fr. Kevin Codd as he made his pilgrimage across Spain to Santiago De Compostela. Fr. Codd not only recounts the physical aspects of his journey, but--more signifcantly--he lets us in on the psychological and spiritual journey he went through as he trekked over 500 miles on foot.

To the Field of Stars is a concrete example of how to do theological reflection; that is, Fr. Codd looks back on his trip and reflects on it in the light of faith, Scripture and culture in order to grow closer to God and into the person God created him to be.

Yes, after reading this I have a desire to walk the camino myself, but what it really awoke in me was the desire to reflect on my own life the way Fr. Codd has reflected on his.

A book that has profoundly affected the way I look at life. Funny, honest, intelligent, meditative, and uplifting. A spiritual must-read.

nsenger | May 23, 2014 |
I've somehow got it into my head that I need to walk the Camino de Santiago, a 450 mile trek across northern Spain, on a pilgrim's spiritual journey. Too many children in college has me following the path of the wallet, rather than the heart. Five weeks on the track with nothing to do but think and walk sounds like the antidote.

In any case, I've been finding the occasional book written by some of the pilgrims. (I am studiously avoiding Shirley MacClaine's book in favor of more down-to-earth perspectives on life.) This one by Kevin Codd, an American priest, is a good one. Realistic, truthful, full of humanity and purpose. I like it. Codd uses the journey to take stock of his life, as I propose to do, and he finds spiritual and human meaning in the suffering, the friendships, and the people he encounters. ( )
  co_coyote | Sep 5, 2009 |

"I am about to share here a story about stars that dance. . . . If the very thought of seeing stars dance piques your curiosity at some deep level of your soul, then pay attention to what follows, for the walk to the Field of Stars, to Santiago de Compostela, is a journey that has the power to change lives forever."
- from the introduction

"Pilgrimage" is a strange notion to our modern, practical minds. How many of us have walked to a distant holy place in order to draw nearer to God? Yet the pilgrimage experience is growing these days in various parts of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:25 -0400)

"Seeking to take stock of his life, Kevin Codd set out in July 2003 on a pilgrimage that would profoundly change his life. To the Field of Stars tells the fascinating story of his unusual spiritual and physical journey on foot across Spain to Santiago de Compostela, the traditional burial place of the apostle James the Greater. Each brief chapter chronicling Codd's thirty-five-day trek is dedicated to one or two days on the road. Codd shares tales of other pilgrims, his own changes of perspective, and his challenges and triumphs along the way - all told with a disarming candor." "Seen through the eyes of a Catholic priest who honors the religious worldview that originally gave rise to these medieval odysseys, "pilgrimage" comes to life and takes on new meaning in these pages."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,881,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible