Old Turtle (1992)

by Douglas Wood

All of nature argues about the forms of God, so people are sent as a reminder of all that God is, although they do not seem to understand the message themselves.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Fine condition
  JamesLemons | Apr 26, 2020 |
Fiction
  PAFM | Oct 19, 2019 |
Who can resist a story that begins “Once, long, long ago … yet somehow, not so very long …”? Would it not be wonderful if “… all the beings of the world could speak … and understand one another …”?

Beautiful, peaceful … until the argument.

It is the quiet one who speaks the wisest words. Old Turtle, the quiet one, who knows how to stop the argument.

We need a quiet one today.

A perfect melding of story and art, for all ages and all people. Do not miss this one. ( )
  bookwren | May 2, 2019 |
This book is incredibly amazing because of both the author and illustrator. This wise old turtle ends a debate among the earth and its' habitats. He is painted out to be a wise, old turtle who rarely speaks. The oceans, animals, and wind all accept the old turtle's beliefs that all of nature is to be treasured and loved. He also states that everything in existence is a part of God. He asks the Earth to prepare for humans who will trash and treat them unkind. Eventually the humans learn to appreciate all the wonders of the Earth. This book sends a message to children about religion and war. Most wars revolved around religions and difference. It matters not our differences because we share one Earth.

The artwork is simply amazing. Cheng-Khee Chee painted all the images in watercolor. She painted one big picture and cut out squares from the original painting to showcase all the different elements to the earth. When you put all the pieces together, it creates one picture - almost like a puzzle. It is genius because although we are different, we are all a part of something much bigger. ( )
  mskathyphan | Aug 30, 2018 |
This story is dedicated to my sons, Bryan and Eric, and to children of all ages who love turtles and rocks and rivers and other living things. -Douglas Wood

These paintings are dedicated to my children, and to Bee who has always encouraged me and made time for me to paint. -Cheng-Khee Chee
Once, long ago... yet somehow, not so very long...

Tara Cameron gave us this book after it was deleted from the Wolford Public School Library because it was deemed too religious. A ridiculous decision since there is nothing dogmatic in this book and presumably aboriginal stories about the Great Spirit and myths and legends are fine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,822,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible