Weddings Can Be Murder (Love Spell…

Weddings Can Be Murder (Love Spell Contemporary Romanc) (edition 2008)

by Christie Craig

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Weddings Can Be Murder (Love Spell Contemporary Romanc)
Authors:Christie Craig
Info:Love Spell (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:TBR, Romance

Weddings Can Be Murder by Christie Craig

Funny and sort-of-scary*. Fast paced. Tightly written. The characters ring true without being overblown. Yes, the character conflict isn't original; but it's well played. I would easily read another book by Christie Craig.

* Not Jack the Ripper scary or Ted Bundy scary...but Wow-That-Could-Really-Happen scary. ( )
  lesmel | May 21, 2013 |
A fun romance/mystery story with dueling couples. Lots of build up and tension - a little let down at the quick ending though. A great vacation/beach read! ( )
  robindejarnett | Feb 15, 2011 |
I got this as a free ebook, and I'm very glad it didn't cost me anything.

The romance is stronger than the mystery, but still not great. It starts off strong, but as soon as the initial set up (the main characters are locked inside a room in an unheated house during a cold snap by a serial killer and no one knows where they are) is over it's pretty much all downhill, with minor bright spots.

The heroine's constant mental dialogue about whether or not specific actions would be acceptable to her dead parents was tedious. I understand that the author was trying to make a point that she was living according to other people's (ridiculous) expectations, but it was overkill in my opinion.

The sections from the murderer's point of view really bothered me. He's meant to have a mental illness he's trying to hide, but the symptoms are a jumble. If anything the most obvious aspects point to an extremely poor depiction of autism, which is not a mental illness. As the parent of two kids with Autistic Spectrum Disorders I found this irritating. I don't know that the author thought through the particulars of this beyond "The killer is mentally ill." If you want to create a book with a character who has a specific condition, take the time and do your homework about that condition. Just saying, "mental illness" is not enough. It's hard enough to have a real mental illness or a condition like Autism without lazy depictions coloring people's perceptions of it.

I kept wanting the book to live up to its potential, but despite the minor bright spots (the hero's family was one), it never managed to get there. ( )
1 vote saltypepper | Aug 5, 2010 |
First let me say, I only started reading this because I thought it was a mystery. It was a Friday Freebie from Nook. Ummm...it's not. It's a romance with some hokey mystery thrown in to give it a plot line.
It's a typical romance novel - girl meets boy, there are complications, girl decides she doesn't want/need boy and leaves. Boy pursues, girls relents and they live happily ever after.
The first half of the book held my interest - Katie and Carl locked in a room, temperatures plummeting (although it was set in Houston, Texas how far can they really plummet and for how long? I'm from Michigan and I know plummeting freezing cold temps) and a crazed killer on the loose. How do they escape their dungeon? How do they stay warm? How did the wedding cake samples end up with them? Convienant. How do they keep their hands off each other because they're falling madly in love? But they've just met, and most of the time they've been in the dark. Oh she smells nice, his coat wraps me in his scent. At that point, it becomes just another romance novel.
I finished reading the book because I was already halfway through it and I hate not finishing what I start. There needed to be more mystery, thriller elements and not the sexual kind to make this a truly good book. It does have it's moments though.
Be aware, the sex scenes tend to be graphic and some of them seem to have no point except to be a sex scene. ( )
  TamiHindes | Jul 30, 2010 |
A month or so ago I promised I would read a romance novel. Two weeks ago, the Barnes & Noble Friday free ebook was Christie Craig’s Weddings Can Be Murder. Rather than investigate in depth the recommendations of romances that men would enjoy, I went with easy and read this. This romantic suspense novel was actually passable, though still not good enough for me to recommend it. The mystery element of the story was surprisingly good, at least as far as the plot goes. Parts of the romance were pretty good too. Where Craig’s novel fell short was the characters. Each character is pretty much a standard role: the tough as nails ex-cop who has a heart of gold, the good girl, the supportive but slightly wild friend, the nice but no spark fiance, and the bad guy with vague but obsessive mental illness. Familiar, but none of them had much of a spark of real character in them. If this were a Coen Brothers movie, they could turn it into something awesome. But reading it was pretty pedestrian.

Full review: http://reading.kingrat.biz/reviews/weddings-can-be-murder-christie-craig ( )
  KingRat | Jul 21, 2010 |
This is dedicated to my husband whose endless support and encouragement have been the springboard to my achieving my dreams of publication. Steve, I love you the whole world. (Did I mention you enough this time?)
Yesterday, Carl Hades had been shot at by a man wearing a black thong and a pink silk nightie.

Till Deaths Do You Part... Katie Ray was about to marry a man she didn't love -- and who didn't love her. Even losing her $8,000 engagement ring wasn't enough of a sign to call things off. What did it take? Being locked in the closet with a sexy PI, and being witness to murder. ...Or They Bring You Together Carl Hades hardly wanted to be shackled with another man's soon-to-be-wife, especially when the gorgeous redhead stirred emotions he'd avoided for years. He'd been hired by an elite Houston wedding planner to investigate some missing brides. When those brides turned up dead, Carl saw where the whole situation was headed: just like Katie's wedding ring and her ceremony, right down the toilet. Because, while Katie was suddenly and delightfully available, he had a feeling she was next in line to die. And before he could ask her to say "I do," he had to know who would say "I did it." Bonus Content: At the end of the book, get a sneak peek at New York Times-bestselling Christie Craig's newest contemporary romance, BLAME IT ON TEXAS, due out from Forever Books on August 28th! Read on for a preview of her recent release, MURDER, MAYHEM AND MAMA, available now in paperback and ebook! AND as an added bonus, you'll also get a look at the first few chapters of BORN AT MIDNIGHT, the first book in the New York Time-bestselling YA paranormal series, Shadow Falls, that Christie is writing as C. C. Hunter!! BORN AT MIDNIGHT, AWAKE AT DAWN and TAKEN AT DUSK are currently available from St. Martin's Griffin wherever books are sold. WHISPERS AT MOONRISE releases on October 2nd!!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible