I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya…

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (original 1969; edition 1983)

by Maya Angelou

Member:thekoolaidmom
Title:I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Authors:Maya Angelou
Info:Bantam (1983), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:20th Century, abuse, adult, african-american literature, american literature, Arkansas, Autobiography, banned, child abuse, coming of age, feminism, Maya Angelou, memoir, non-fiction, poetry, racism, rape, southern, women writers, read, borrowed from the library

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (1969)

English (114)  Dutch (1)  All languages (115)
  OberlinSWAP | Jul 20, 2015 |
What else is there to say besides amazing. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is Maya Angelou’s first biography about her growing up in the segregated south and her time out of there in St. Louis and California. You feel her pain as she realizes more and more what it means to be a black woman. This is my first time reading anything by Maya Angelou and I can’t believe it took me so long to do so. She writes beautifully and very articulately about her experiences. No doubt it is a classic and should be read in schools nationwide. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jul 4, 2015 |
2.5 stars

This book looks back at African-American author Maya Angelou's childhood and teen years. Maya and her brother Bailey were mostly raised by their grandmother in Stamps, Arkansas, but they did also spend time with their parents at times, as well.

I listened to the audio (narrated by Angelou, herself), but maybe it would have been better if I'd read it in print or ebook. It just (mostly) couldn't hold my attention. There were a few stories/anecdotes that did, but mostly they didn't. It seemed more like anecdotes or stories than a chronological biography, but then that may also have to do with me losing focus and missing many parts of it. Maya called her grandmother “Momma”, so I sometimes got mixed up as to whether or not she was talking about her grandmother or her mother. I'm giving it the extra ½ star for the three stories (two of them at the very end) that did hold my attention. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 16, 2015 |
Summary: Maya Angelou describes growing up as an insecure girl in the South in the 30's. Her parents were divorced at a young age and is shipped off to live with her brother and her grandmother. She continues to tell the reader about her life: how she sexually abused, the strength she found from her church, racism and eventually how her life improved after having a son and graduating from high school.

Personal connection: I always found the life of Maya Angelou to be very interesting, while tortured.

Class use: Use this book to teach others about Maya Angelou. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
I cannot fully understand how I've been changed but I know, that for reading this, I am forever changed. Challenged with experiences that have never entered my own realm of reality, Ms. Angelou did not merely overcome, she overcame with more grace and more class than I could ever dream of having. She uses beautiful writing to tell of a life, her life, that was not extraordinary but turned her into (or perhaps it's within us all to be) an extraordinary person. And the audio - read by the author - just overwhelmingly stunning. ( )
  tnociti | Apr 11, 2015 |

Maya Angelouprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rutten, KathleenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son
Guy Johnson,
and all the strong black birds of promise who defy the odds and gods and sing their songs
What you looking at me for?
James Baldwin Writes:

This testimony from a Black sister marks the beginning of a new era in the minds and hearts and lives of all Black men and women...
I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS liberates the reader into life simply because Maya Angelou confronts her own life with such a moving wonder, such a luminous dignity. I have no words for this achievement, but I know that not since the days of my childhood, when the people in books were more real than the people one saw every day, have I found myself so moved ...
her portrait is a Biblical study of life in the midst of death."

The Moving and Beautiful autobiography of a talented black woman. She continues her story in gather together in GATHER TOGETHER IN MY NAME, SINGIN' AND SWINGIN' AND GETTIN' MERRY LIKE CHRISTMAS and THE HEART OF A WOMAN.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553279378, Mass Market Paperback)

In this first of five volumes of autobiography, poet Maya Angelou recounts a youth filled with disappointment, frustration, tragedy, and finally hard-won independence. Sent at a young age to live with her grandmother in Arkansas, Angelou learned a great deal from this exceptional woman and the tightly knit black community there. These very lessons carried her throughout the hardships she endured later in life, including a tragic occurrence while visiting her mother in St. Louis and her formative years spent in California--where an unwanted pregnancy changed her life forever. Marvelously told, with Angelou's "gift for language and observation," this "remarkable autobiography by an equally remarkable black woman from Arkansas captures, indelibly, a world of which most Americans are shamefully ignorant."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

Presents the story of a spirited and gifted, but poor, black girl growing up in the South in the 1930's. Tells how she came into her own, experiencing prejudice, family difficulties, and a relationship with a teacher who taught her to respect books, learning, and herself. The moving and beautiful autobiography of a talented black woman. "I have no words for this achievement, but I know that not since the days of my childhood have I found myself so moved. Her portrait is a Biblical study of life in the midst of death".-James Baldwin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,474,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible