I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya…

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (original 1969; edition 1998)

by Maya Angelou

9,243150324 (3.97)1 / 411
Member:aynar
Title:I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Authors:Maya Angelou
Info:Blackbirds 1998 / 1
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (1969)

English (149)  Dutch (1)  All (150)
I read this book a long time ago in high school, and I read it again as an adult. It has withstood the test of time (unlike "The Catcher in the Rye." Sorry, J.D.) Dr. Angelou's story of her early life growing up in Stamps, Arkansas, is full of warmth, compassion, wit and insight into the human spirit. ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
Such a great insight into Maya's life. Though her life was quite hard and tragic at times, she endured and became a voice for many. I wish I would have listened to this one as I think it would of brought the book more to life. This book was certainly a great choice for our book club. There was many subjects to discuss. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Apr 23, 2017 |
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is the first of seven memoirs that Maya Angelou wrote. This book tells of her life from childhood to the age of seventeen - the years 1928 to 1945. The story is a harsh and sad one, dealing with poverty, racism, abandonment, rape, sexual abuse, and teenage pregnancy. It is inspirational not in its writing but in the fact that Maya Angelou had courage to live this life, to move forward from the events described, and to tell the story in such a public way.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2017/03/i-know-why-caged-bird-sings.html ( )
  njmom3 | Mar 23, 2017 |
A wonderful memoir, but I do *not* recommend the audiobook. It was read by Angelou herself, but she's a shockingly bad reader. I *think* she was trying to perform her memoir as spoken word poetry, but it sounded more like she...had ATTENDED...the...William Shatner...school of PERFORMANCE...arts...Just very stilted and jarring (which would be perfect during the scenes where she's being traumatized or her life is being destroyed, but the entire book was read this way). ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 16, 2017 |
I've admired Maya Angelou for some time and I've just got around to reading her autobiography.

Its a book, that I really liked. I got a really good insight into her young life. I never knew anything of what her life was like but I'm glad that it didn't prevent her from doing great things. I intend to carry on reading the rest of the autobiography's and finding out more about this great woman. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Mar 6, 2017 |

Maya Angelouprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rutten, KathleenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son
Guy Johnson,
and all the strong black birds of promise who defy the odds and gods and sing their songs
What you looking at me for?
James Baldwin Writes:

This testimony from a Black sister marks the beginning of a new era in the minds and hearts and lives of all Black men and women...
I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS liberates the reader into life simply because Maya Angelou confronts her own life with such a moving wonder, such a luminous dignity. I have no words for this achievement, but I know that not since the days of my childhood, when the people in books were more real than the people one saw every day, have I found myself so moved ...
her portrait is a Biblical study of life in the midst of death."

The Moving and Beautiful autobiography of a talented black woman. She continues her story in gather together in GATHER TOGETHER IN MY NAME, SINGIN' AND SWINGIN' AND GETTIN' MERRY LIKE CHRISTMAS and THE HEART OF A WOMAN.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553279378, Mass Market Paperback)

In this first of five volumes of autobiography, poet Maya Angelou recounts a youth filled with disappointment, frustration, tragedy, and finally hard-won independence. Sent at a young age to live with her grandmother in Arkansas, Angelou learned a great deal from this exceptional woman and the tightly knit black community there. These very lessons carried her throughout the hardships she endured later in life, including a tragic occurrence while visiting her mother in St. Louis and her formative years spent in California--where an unwanted pregnancy changed her life forever. Marvelously told, with Angelou's "gift for language and observation," this "remarkable autobiography by an equally remarkable black woman from Arkansas captures, indelibly, a world of which most Americans are shamefully ignorant."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

Presents the story of a spirited and gifted, but poor, black girl growing up in the South in the 1930's. Tells how she came into her own, experiencing prejudice, family difficulties, and a relationship with a teacher who taught her to respect books, learning, and herself. The moving and beautiful autobiography of a talented black woman. "I have no words for this achievement, but I know that not since the days of my childhood have I found myself so moved. Her portrait is a Biblical study of life in the midst of death".-James Baldwin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible