Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

Right Ho, Jeeves (original 1934; edition 1961)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Series: Jeeves (5)

Member:fredalss
Title:Right Ho, Jeeves
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1961), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Fiction, humour

Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1934)

English (72)  Dutch (2)  All languages (74)

Title: Right Ho, Jeeves
Series: The Jeeves Omnibus #2.1
Author: P.G. Wodehouse
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Humor
Pages: 212
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Bertie comes back from the Continent with his Aunt and Cousin and things fall apart. Bertie tries to wear a white suit coat and clashes with Jeeves. Jeeves lets him have his way and solve everything on his own. So, Bertie's cousin is engaged but the couple fights and calls off the engagement. A friend of Bertie's is in love with a girl but can't work up the nerve to even talk to her. This girl is a friend of Bertie's cousin and is staying with them. Bertie is called down to the countryside to assist in giving a speech at a local boys school and hand out prizes. He avoids this by sending the love struck friend down with the promise that it will help him court the girl he loves. Bertie goes down to help restore bliss between his cousin and her fiance. He also finds out that his Aunt needs a lot of money from his Uncle to fund her vanity magazine, money which he already gave her but she lost in gambling on the Continent. Throw in Anatole the French chef who is threatening to leave and you have a problem only Jeeves can fix.

But Jeeves isn't fixing anything since Bertie WILL insist on wearing the white suit coat. Thus it falls to Bertie to solve everything. Of course, he just makes it 100 times worse. Thankfully, Jeeves relents and solves everything BUT at the cost of making everyone hate Bertie and “accidentally” leaving the iron on the white suit coat.

Hijinks, wrong engagements, one spectacular instance of public drunkenness and sundry other mishaps occur, affording the reader an escape from the humdrum of life for a couple of hours.

My Thoughts:

You know, I have mentioned this before, but it really stuck out, AGAIN. Whoever put these omnibus editions together is a complete jackass. I hate them in fact. It is almost like someone who never read the books and is not a reader at all in fact, looked at the books and just randomly pointed them out and decided which volume each book would go in. It is just frustrating as it is obvious it is lazy no good incompetence that made such decisions.

Overall, I still enjoyed this. This was another novel instead of a short story collection but so much is going on that it almost might as well be a short story collection. There were times I felt like I had already read this but given that Bertie references these escapades in other books, turns out I was just remembering the references. Another reason to kick the jackass who put these together.

I have to say, it is incredible how much Bertie can wreck things. What's even more astounding is just how dense he is when Jeeves fixes everything at his expense. Bertie pretty thinks “Oh well, at least I'm not getting married now” and is happy enough. Egads.

I think one of these books every 6 to 8 weeks is working out well. Enough time for me to forget any lingering animosity and to simply remember the stupidly funny stuff. That's good enough for me!

★★★☆½ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Nov 6, 2018 |
How anyone cannot wholly love the Jeeves and Wooster books is beyond my comprehension.

This is one of the best, in which Bertie tries to out-Jeeves his valet in terms of hatching plans to get everyone out of the usual trouble (matrimony, losing the skills of a chef, presenting prizes at a grammar school, etc.). This one also treats the subject of gestures as a means to gage others' intentions but, like PGW's other books, does so incidentally: the only real "theme" that PGW ever really treated is that we need not think of the world as a wholly miserable place. I smiled the whole time I read this and laughed out loud more than once. It's just about perfect, and anyone who pooh-poohs Plum as "light reading" doesn't get it: that's like scorning Brian Wilson because "Wouldn't It Be Nice" isn't the Jupiter Symphony. And be wary of anyone who tries to tell you that these books "say something" about the class system in England or any of the other dull approaches people take in order to ruin their enjoyment of literature. None of PGW's books take place on the planet Earth, which is part of their charm. PGW knew this, and delivered.

If you've never read a Jeeves book, this one is a good starting point. There's no need to read them in the order in which they were published. But you do need to read them, immediately. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
So I "consumed" this story in three different ways. First, I saw the Jeeves and Wooster episodes that dealt with it. Then I read some and listened to some on audio. Hmm. I don't think I should seen the episodes first. Even though Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie are hilarious it didn't work as well as reading/listening to it. Listening to it was funny, but reading it was easier to slash. The slash is excellent, BTW. So, reading FTW. Huzzah. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Wooster takes over solving problems that people were going to Jeeves to cure, with disastrous results. ( )
  addunn3 | Mar 27, 2018 |
I got to this P.G. Wodehouse novel, [Right Ho, Jeeves], by way of the Department of One-Thing-Leads-to-Another. While long being aware of Wodehouse. I'd never read anything he wrote, never viewed the Wooster & Jeeves TV show. Reading Ben Macintyre's [Double Cross], I learned that Wodehouse was caught in France when the Nazis invaded, that he was interned, ultimately in a camp near Berlin, and that further, he made several broadcasts on Berlin radio intended for listeners in England. Interesting.

Later on, while searching for a particular Faulkner story, I stumbled upon the transcripts of Wodehouse's Berlin Broadcasts. I read them. A couple of archived news articles I also found on line revealed that there are Britishers who to this day despise Wodehouse, considering him a traitor. I'm outside the envelope of WWII, but when I read the broadcasts, my questions were directed at the Germans: Why would they air this stuff? It certainly isn't complimentary to them. And if you've read them, why would you think the author a traitor to his own country? (If you are interested, here's the link to the transcripts: http://www.unz.com/print/Encounter-1954oct-00017/Contents/.

For the second time, Wodehouse is bandied before me. Destined to read him. Indeed. [Right Ho, Jeeves] was the only book of his I have on the shelves, so that's what I read. Originally published in 1934.

The story centers about Bertie Wooster's plotting to reunite each of two betrothed couples. So much in love yesterday, splitsville today. One party from each couple has quietly solicited the advise of Wooster's manservant Jeeves. I think this is pretty much the crux of every Wooster & Jeeves story: Wooster screws everything up, and Jeeves straightens it all out. There's banter between numbskull Bertie and whoever the straight man of the moment is. In the following case that is Jeeves. (Gussie is a lovesick former schoolmate of Bertie who has been dumped by Madeline Bassett. He is supposed to present awards to pupils at a local school, but suffers stage-fright.)

Jeeves was on the job, adding the final polish to the old topper, and I was about to apprise him of the latest developments in the matter of Gussie, when he forestalled me by observing that the latter had only just concluded an agreeable visit to the Wooster bed-chamber.
  'I found Mr Fink-Nottle seated here when I arrived to lay out your clothes, sir.'
  'Indeed, Jeeves? Gussie was in here, was he?'
  'Yes, sir. He left only a few moments ago. He is driving to the school with Mr and Mrs Travers in the large car.'
  'Did you give him your story of the two Irishmen?'
  'Yes, sir. He laughed heartily.'
  'Good. Had you any other contributions for him?'
  'I ventured to suggest that he might mention to the young gentlemen that education is a drawing out, not a putting in. The late Lord Brancaster was much addicted to presenting prizes at schools, and he invariably employed this dictum.'
  'And how did he react to that?'
  'He laughed heartily, sir.'
  'This surprised you, no doubt? This practically incessant merriment, I mean.'
  'Yes, sir.'
  'You thought it odd in one who, when you last saw him, was well up in Group A of the defeatists.'
  'Yes, sir.'
  'There is a ready explanation, Jeeves. Since you last saw him, Gussie has been on a bender. He's as tight as an owl.'
  'Indeed, sir?.'

Typical Wodehouse banter. The book was okay, but I'm not on the prowl for any more.
  weird_O | Mar 23, 2018 |

Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Loof, B.H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raoul-Duval, JosetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straaten, Peter vanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Raymond Needham, K.C.
With affection and admiration
“Jeeves,” I said, “may I speak frankly?”

“Certainly, sir.”

“What I have to say may wound you.”

“Not at all, sir.”

“Well, then——”

No—wait. Hold the line a minute. I’ve gone off the rails.
UK title 'Right Ho, Jeeves',

US title 'Brinkley Manor',

NL title 'Bravo Jeeves'.

Overlook Press blurb:
The trouble which begins with Gussie Fink-Nottle wandering the streets of London dressed as Mephistopheles reaches its awful climax in his drunken speech to the boys of Market Snodsbury Grammar School. For Bertie Wooster's old friend has fallen in love with Madeline Bassett and, as usual, makes a hash of the affair until Jeeves comes to the rescue. In the meantime, Jeeves must also solve the mystery of the white mess jacket, while sorting out the lives of Bertie's cousin, Angela, her mother, and her mother's French chef. In short, a normal working day for that prince among gentlemen's gentlemen in what must be a candidate for the name of funniest novel in the English language.

Jeeves has established his justifiable reputation as an invaluable solver of problems of all kinds. However, when Gussie Fink-Nottle follows Jeeve's advice to attend a fancy dressed party rigged out as Mephistopheles, he comes badly unstuck. Could it be that Jeeves has lost his grip? Bertie decides that Jeeves is not the only onion in the hash and he embarks on a plan that will, he believes, make Madeline become engaged to Gussie, that will re-unite cousin Angela with Tuppy and will make Uncle Tom cough up some cash for Aunt Dahlia. However, as you may expect, Bertie's schemes have a knack of going awry and, before long, everything and everyone is in a state of confusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:14 -0400)

With informative but accessible text, the sport is brought to life. This work offers an in-depth look at the sport, from its history and beginnings to the modern game, how it's played, who plays it and the rules that govern it. Packed with facts, stats and full-colour photographs, this is the essential guide.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,513,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible