Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse) by P G…

Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse) (original 1934; edition 2000)

by P G Wodehouse

Member:sakayume
Title:Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse)
Authors:P G Wodehouse
Info:Everyman (2000), Edition: New edition, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2

Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1934)

English (54)  Dutch (2)  All languages (56)
Hilarious! ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
PG Wodehouse is a humour genius. This is my third book from him and I had to suppress my laughter so many times lest rest of my family thinks I am a moron. His writing style is full of action, dialogues and plot twists. Characters are odd and stories are odder. His writing seems so suitable for direct film adaptation that were he writing in this day and age, one would have wondered if he had a potential movie deal in mind. While set in Victorian Britain amidst all the proprietary of nobles, his work seems completely familiar to the reader of 21st century. Book is not without artistic liberties in convoluting the story for no reason other than hilarious outcomes those byzantine circumstances will generate or in resolving in the end suddenly, but when read within that context, one cannot help conclude Wodehouse to be one of the most hilarious authors in English literature. Go ahead and read comedy of errors and be ready for side splitting laughter! ( )
  ashishg | Dec 18, 2014 |
One of the best Jeeves books. The engagement Wooster must be saved from this time is with "the Bassett," which is fine because Madeline Bassett really loves Augustus "Gussie" Fink-Nottle, he of the newt fancy. Bertie's cousin Angela loves Tuppy Glossop, and the inimitable Aunt Dahlia has to keep Chef Anatole and Uncle Tom happy to maintain enough domestic harmony to keep her periodical "My Lady's Boudoir" afloat. This novel--and it is a novel, not a collection of shorts--also features the white mess jacket; a disagreement over a shark; giving away prizes at the local school; and of course, that long, lonely bicycle ride. First published 1934. ( )
1 vote charliesierra | Sep 7, 2014 |

Read during: Spring 2005

If anything could get my mind off of annoying things, it's a nice Jeeves and Wooster. Best remedy for all gnashing and tearing days.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
I loved this book. The characters are beautifully drawn and the dialog is masterful. I listened to an audiobook version of this on my ipod and it had me laughing out loud more than once on the bus or walking down the street. I intend to read every "Jeeves" book I can get my hands on. ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cecil, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straaten, Peter vanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Raymond Needham, K.C.
With affection and admiration
“Jeeves,” I said, “may I speak frankly?”

“Certainly, sir.”

“What I have to say may wound you.”

“Not at all, sir.”

“Well, then——”

No—wait. Hold the line a minute. I’ve gone off the rails.
UK title 'Right Ho, Jeeves',

US title 'Brinkley Manor',

NL title 'Bravo Jeeves'.

Overlook Press blurb:
The trouble which begins with Gussie Fink-Nottle wandering the streets of London dressed as Mephistopheles reaches its awful climax in his drunken speech to the boys of Market Snodsbury Grammar School. For Bertie Wooster's old friend has fallen in love with Madeline Bassett and, as usual, makes a hash of the affair until Jeeves comes to the rescue. In the meantime, Jeeves must also solve the mystery of the white mess jacket, while sorting out the lives of Bertie's cousin, Angela, her mother, and her mother's French chef. In short, a normal working day for that prince among gentlemen's gentlemen in what must be a candidate for the name of funniest novel in the English language.

Jeeves has established his justifiable reputation as an invaluable solver of problems of all kinds. However, when Gussie Fink-Nottle follows Jeeve's advice to attend a fancy dressed party rigged out as Mephistopheles, he comes badly unstuck. Could it be that Jeeves has lost his grip? Bertie decides that Jeeves is not the only onion in the hash and he embarks on a plan that will, he believes, make Madeline become engaged to Gussie, that will re-unite cousin Angela with Tuppy and will make Uncle Tom cough up some cash for Aunt Dahlia. However, as you may expect, Bertie's schemes have a knack of going awry and, before long, everything and everyone is in a state of confusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

Bertie must deal with the Market Snodsbury Grammar School prize giving, the broken engagement of his cousin Angela, the wooing of Madeline Bassett by Gussie Fink-Nottle, and the resignation of Anatole, the genius chef. Will he prevail? Only with the aid of Jeeves!… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,708,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible