Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse) by P G…

Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse) (original 1934; edition 2000)

by P G Wodehouse

Member:sakayume
Title:Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse)
Authors:P G Wodehouse
Info:Everyman (2000), Edition: New edition, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2

Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1934)

English (51)  Dutch (2)  All languages (53)

Read during: Spring 2005

If anything could get my mind off of annoying things, it's a nice Jeeves and Wooster. Best remedy for all gnashing and tearing days.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
I loved this book. The characters are beautifully drawn and the dialog is masterful. I listened to an audiobook version of this on my ipod and it had me laughing out loud more than once on the bus or walking down the street. I intend to read every "Jeeves" book I can get my hands on. ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |
I think that this novel is only really challenged by The Code of the Woosters for the honour of being the finest story about Bertie Wooster and Jeeves.

There are a lot of things one can say about P G Wodehouse's books - immature, very childish, total unworldly, lacking in any political or ecological conscience … It is difficult to challenge any of those judgements (and I should know because most of them have been applied, regularly to me, too). However, I prefer to think of them as exquisite, beautifully written, faultlessly constructed, charming and ceaselessly entertaining. Sadly all too few of those epithets have ever been applied to me!

Right Ho, Jeeves is, to my mind, the apotheosis of Wodehouse's world. His plots are always full of Byzantine twists, his characters are usually hilarious, but in this novel he excelled his own extremely high standards and brought off a comedy classic.

There are two set pieces in particular (Gussie Fink-Nottle's address when presenting the prizes at market Snodsbury School's Speech Day, and the stream of outrage from Anatole, the sublimely talented yet extremely temperamental French chef, when Gussie appears to be pulling faces at him through the skylight of his bedroom) which must rank among the finest examples of humorous writing. If one is prepared briefly to suspend disbelief and enter Wodehouse's world the rewards are enormous. This particular book was first published in 1934, but is already looking back to an unspecified Corinthian past, largely of Wodehouse's own imagining.
In this world, gentlemen always wear suits, and occasionally spats though never (in England, anyway) white mess jackets, or not, at least, if Jeeves has his way. They also never bandy a lady's name or break an engagement, no matter how disastrously they might view the prospect of nuptials. Bertie Wooster, though not the brightest chap ever to have ventured into metropolitan life, is a stickler for such correct behaviour, and frequently finds himself beset as a consequence.

Wodehouse's writing is a joy - always grammatically perfect, yet he is able to capture the different voices with clinical precision. Bertie rambles in a manner now reminiscent of Boris Johnson (though without the egregious narcissism) [though, of course, in reality it is the other way round with Johnson trying to be like Wooster, but lacking the charm to pull it off] while Jeeves favours a cultured orotundity of speech, peppered with a mixture of highly scholarly references to poetry and philosophy bathetically contrasted with allusions to his rather bizarre-sounding family. The plots are immensely intricate, to the extent that they make Agatha Christie's novel seem entirely transparent, but Wodehouse always ties up every loose end, no matter how impossible that might seem even just one or two chapters from the end of the book.

I have read this novel several times before, and am confident that I will read it several times again, as it never fails to cheer me up. ( )
3 vote Eyejaybee | Apr 5, 2014 |
Available as a free audiobook at https://librivox.org/ ( )
  captbirdseye | Mar 19, 2014 |
Another awesome Jeeves and Wooster escapade by my main literary man, Plum :) ( )
  TRWhittier | Feb 22, 2014 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cecil, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straaten, Peter vanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Raymond Needham, K.C.
With affection and admiration
“Jeeves,” I said, “may I speak frankly?”

“Certainly, sir.”

“What I have to say may wound you.”

“Not at all, sir.”

“Well, then——”

No—wait. Hold the line a minute. I’ve gone off the rails.
UK title 'Right Ho, Jeeves',

US title 'Brinkley Manor',

NL title 'Bravo Jeeves'.

Overlook Press blurb:
The trouble which begins with Gussie Fink-Nottle wandering the streets of London dressed as Mephistopheles reaches its awful climax in his drunken speech to the boys of Market Snodsbury Grammar School. For Bertie Wooster's old friend has fallen in love with Madeline Bassett and, as usual, makes a hash of the affair until Jeeves comes to the rescue. In the meantime, Jeeves must also solve the mystery of the white mess jacket, while sorting out the lives of Bertie's cousin, Angela, her mother, and her mother's French chef. In short, a normal working day for that prince among gentlemen's gentlemen in what must be a candidate for the name of funniest novel in the English language.

Jeeves has established his justifiable reputation as an invaluable solver of problems of all kinds. However, when Gussie Fink-Nottle follows Jeeve's advice to attend a fancy dressed party rigged out as Mephistopheles, he comes badly unstuck. Could it be that Jeeves has lost his grip? Bertie decides that Jeeves is not the only onion in the hash and he embarks on a plan that will, he believes, make Madeline become engaged to Gussie, that will re-unite cousin Angela with Tuppy and will make Uncle Tom cough up some cash for Aunt Dahlia. However, as you may expect, Bertie's schemes have a knack of going awry and, before long, everything and everyone is in a state of confusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

Bertie must deal with the Market Snodsbury Grammar School prize giving, the broken engagement of his cousin Angela, the wooing of Madeline Bassett by Gussie Fink-Nottle, and the resignation of Anatole, the genius chef. Will he prevail? Only with the aid of Jeeves!… (more)

Fourteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible