Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse) by P G…

Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse) (original 1934; edition 2000)

by P G Wodehouse

Series: Jeeves (5)

Member:sakayume
Title:Right Ho, Jeeves (Everyman Wodehouse)
Authors:P G Wodehouse
Info:Everyman (2000), Edition: New edition, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2

Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1934)

English (60)  Dutch (2)  All languages (62)

Right Ho, Jeeves – Wodehouse
4 stars
Audio version performed by Jonathan Cecil

Bertie Wooster and his man Jeeves travel to Brinkley Court to sort out the romantic travails of Madeline and Gussie, Angela and Tuppy. They attend an historic prize giving at Market Snodsbury Grammar School and assist Aunt Dahlia in retaining the services of the culinary genius, Anatole. It’s absurd, hilarious and full of wonderful word play. The audio performance by Jonathan Cecil is absolutely ‘spot on.’

Wooster and Jeeves make me laugh out loud. This was the perfect light hearted read to place between more serious subjects.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
The first adventures of Bertie and his estimable manservant, Jeeves. These always make me cackle. The upper class nitwit names alone are worth reading this book. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
What a laugh... As my first income in Wodehouse's stories I can say I'm a fan. This book has all that british comedy qualities such as charming, brillancy and of couse wittiness... The characters are great and the plot is very dynamic and light to read. I had a great time imagening the actor Hugh Laurie playning Bertie Wooster (that was before it came to my Knolegde that he'd played this part already). I guess I was right... Looking foward to my next book of Jeeves series... Right Ho! ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
It's funny that this book is called "Right Ho Jeeves" when he's so little seen throughout. Most of the book is Bertie trying (without success) to prove he's just as smart as Jeeves. His story IS very funny though. After making a thorough mess of everything, Jeeves pops up to solve the problems. Another wonderful Wodehouse. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Classic Wodehouse. Bertie and Jeeves have a little altercation about a new jacket which Bertie has bought... and relations are a little strained. So when they go to stay with Bertie's relatives, and - as ever - various romantic problems arise, Bertie attempts to solve everything by himself, getting into deeper and deeper water.

It's years since I had read this book, but many of the scenes came back to me. I don't laugh aloud very often with PG Wodehouse, but I smile a great deal, and appreciate his wordplay and irony, and the wonderful naivety and (sometimes) gross stupidity of the hapless Bertie. Naturally Jeeves comes out top in the end with a brilliant solution to the various problems, albeit rather at the expense of Bertie himself.

This kind of upper-class verbal slapstick doesn't appeal to everyone, and inevitably the style is slightly dated, as it was first published in 1934. But the humour shines through, the caricatured people are superb, and overall I enjoyed it very much. I was delighted to find it available free for the Kindle at Project Gutenburg. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Loof, B.H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raoul-Duval, JosetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straaten, Peter vanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Raymond Needham, K.C.
With affection and admiration
“Jeeves,” I said, “may I speak frankly?”

“Certainly, sir.”

“What I have to say may wound you.”

“Not at all, sir.”

“Well, then——”

No—wait. Hold the line a minute. I’ve gone off the rails.
UK title 'Right Ho, Jeeves',

US title 'Brinkley Manor',

NL title 'Bravo Jeeves'.

Overlook Press blurb:
The trouble which begins with Gussie Fink-Nottle wandering the streets of London dressed as Mephistopheles reaches its awful climax in his drunken speech to the boys of Market Snodsbury Grammar School. For Bertie Wooster's old friend has fallen in love with Madeline Bassett and, as usual, makes a hash of the affair until Jeeves comes to the rescue. In the meantime, Jeeves must also solve the mystery of the white mess jacket, while sorting out the lives of Bertie's cousin, Angela, her mother, and her mother's French chef. In short, a normal working day for that prince among gentlemen's gentlemen in what must be a candidate for the name of funniest novel in the English language.

Jeeves has established his justifiable reputation as an invaluable solver of problems of all kinds. However, when Gussie Fink-Nottle follows Jeeve's advice to attend a fancy dressed party rigged out as Mephistopheles, he comes badly unstuck. Could it be that Jeeves has lost his grip? Bertie decides that Jeeves is not the only onion in the hash and he embarks on a plan that will, he believes, make Madeline become engaged to Gussie, that will re-unite cousin Angela with Tuppy and will make Uncle Tom cough up some cash for Aunt Dahlia. However, as you may expect, Bertie's schemes have a knack of going awry and, before long, everything and everyone is in a state of confusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:14 -0400)

Bertie must deal with the Market Snodsbury Grammar School prize giving, the broken engagement of his cousin Angela, the wooing of Madeline Bassett by Gussie Fink-Nottle, and the resignation of Anatole, the genius chef. Will he prevail? Only with the aid of Jeeves!… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,495,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible