The Anubis Gates (Fantasy Masterworks,…

The Anubis Gates (Fantasy Masterworks, Volume 47) (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Tim Powers

2,931881,961 (3.98)1 / 268
Member:salimbol
Title:The Anubis Gates (Fantasy Masterworks, Volume 47)
Authors:Tim Powers
Info:GOLLANCZ (ORIO) (2005), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Once owned, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:novels, fantasy, Fantasy Masterworks, 20th century books, male authors, science fiction, time travel, dark fantasy, 2012 reading, historical fantasy, alternate history

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (Author) (1983)

The Digging Leviathan by James P. Blaylock (Scottneumann, Anonymous user)
    On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers (Scottneumann)
    Homunculus by James P. Blaylock (Scottneumann)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Anubis Gates and The Map of Time blur the line between Science Fiction and Fantasy, presenting intricately plotted time travel stories with a hint of Mystery that feature appearances by 19th-century literary figures alongside more fantastical elements.… (more)
    The Emerald Burrito of Oz by John Skipp (Scottneumann)
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (LamontCranston)

English (87)  Catalan (1)  All (88)
an old, rich eccentric discovers certain portals in which it is possible to time jump. Takes a group back, one gets left behind, his story. Ends up fighting a bunch of crazy egyptians who want to change history so that Egypt rises again, while doing this he becomes a little known[in the future] poet. I had read this in highschool, so had a vague rememberance of what was going to happen, but it was still a nice surprise overall. Very enjoyable. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Quirky, imaginative and fabulously unpredictable Grand Guignol science fantasy. I loved the epic scope, the sinister villains, the ingenious blending of tropes: Romantic literary figures, time travel, Egyptian magic, Dickensian underworld Londoners, gypsies, body-snatching. Think Doctor Who meets the Mummy in the age of Jane Austen.

The prose I found less felicitious, with it's tendency toward overly long and complex sentences that were frequently hard to follow--especially in action sequences. A book this frothy should be easier to read.

I learned in college that a work of art can be judged in terms of complexity, intensity and profundity. This one lacks only the former. There is nothing profound either in deep ideas or in deep emotional response to the characters.

Still, two out of three ain't bad.
  JackMassa | Nov 23, 2016 |
The first thing to be aware is that the main character is not really special. He is not a capable romantic hero, nor is he an anti-hero type. Considering some of the things that happen in this book, I wouldn’t be surprised that this was a plan all along. He isn't supposed to be special at all. Now, if I haven't turned you back from reading this, great.

Although Brendan Doyle is just moving from one situation to the next, from one person to the next, hardly ever doing anything on his own, the rest of the story is great. The things just happen to him. There was just one instance when he took charge and that was near the end of the book.
I was annoyed with Doyle at first, but that has to do more with the type of main characters I like to read about than him. I didn't think that a chubby, balding literature professor would work as a character in this type of book. I was wrong. So many things happen, so many wonderful and interesting characters appear, some with greater role than others, that even if Doyle is the type to whom things happen, this still ends up as a great story.

The Anubis Gate is a great blend of historical fiction, time travel, fantasy, horror and humour. The basis of the whole story is in the explanation of a powerful and rich man who called Doyle to offer him a job. “Time,” he said solemnly, “is comparable to a river flowing under a layer of ice. It stretches us out like water weeds, from root to tip, from birth to death, curled around whatever rocks or snags happen to lie in our path; and no one can get out of the river because of the ice roof, and no one can turn back against the current for an instant.”He offered an opportunity to stand outside that river. What follows is a wonderfully written time travel adventure with patriotic crazy Egyptian magicians, shape-switching monster, a few famous XIX century poets, a lot of beggars, a very brave young woman and one very reluctant hero.
Humour jumps at you when you least expect it and at the most inappropriate times (people dying, someone is tortured and so on). A magician is summoning fire elementals: "London? You asked us to do this once before." "The time is 1666, yes." Romany nodded. "But it wasn't me asking you then." ... "It was a pair of shoes. How should we distinguish?" Or a couple of thugs' conversation after they were told that they caused a pandemonium. “What’s a pandemonium?” whispered one of the men in the rear.
“It’s like a calliope,” answered a companion. “I heard one played at the Harmony Fair last summer, when I went there to see my sister’s boy play his organ.”
“His what?”
“His organ.”
“Lord. People pay money to see things like that?” The XIX century London and Cairo come alive in this book. There is something for everyone. Even a bit of romance. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
This was quite a good book, though maybe not as awesome as I'd hoped it would be. It mixed horror, adventure, and time travel. Two things really bothered me while reading it, though. I found it idiotic that the main character guy (by whatever name) took so freakin' long to figure out that Jacky was a Jacqueline. Surely he should have clued in to that at some point... or maybe he was just too drunk all the time. The other thing I noticed, especially at the beginning of the book, was that he drinks constantly.

Still, a clever and lively adventure. If it's a bit confused towards the end, I presume that's by design. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | Aug 28, 2016 |
I have had this on my to be read shelf forever, it ended up being an okay read. It really wasn't what I was expecting. This book is supposed to be one of the main books that started the steampunk genre and it really doesn't have that much steampunk at all in it. It is more about time travel, Dickinson era London, literature, and the preservation of Egyptian supremacy.

This may have been better if I hadn't listened to it on audiobook. The book switches POV a lot and the narrator of the audiobook didn't really pause between POV changes. So it would take me a few sentences before I had figured out that we had switched characters; it made the book very confusing to follow at points.

I have also heard this called a YA book...it is absolutely not a YA read. The main character is a middle aged man and there are topics of torture, abuse, and rape. Although nothing gets too explicit, this does seem more geared toward adults.

Some parts of this book were very slow...part of that is because there are just too many different character points of view we read from. There is a lot in here that didn't actually seem to add much to the plot.

Like all time travel stories things get a bit twisted and turned, and there are places where things don't quite match up or make sense. There is some interesting irony in this book, especially towards the end and I enjoyed that quite a bit.

There were a few times when I almost stopped listening to this audiobook because I just could not pay attention to what was going on, it was just boring and not all that engaging.

Overall parts of this were okay but most of it was boring. There are some interesting twists and turns that the book takes which were enjoyable. I didn't really enjoy the characters all that much; there were just too many of them and the story switched between all their POVs too abruptly. If you are really into time travel stories you might enjoy this book. Otherwise I would look elsewhere. This is not a steampunk read. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 30, 2016 |

Potter, Jeffrey KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riffel, HannesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyer Sj, M. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Serena
From between two trees at the crest of the hill a very old man watched, with a nostalgic longing he thought he'd lost all capacity for, as the last group of picnickers packed up their baskets, mounted their horses, and rode away south...

when literature/
crosses with mad science and/
meets ancient magic

(lachapakhan)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441004016, Paperback)

Author Tim Powers evokes 17th-century England with a combination of meticulously researched historic detail and imaginative flights in this sci-fi tale of time travel. Winner of the 1984 Philip K. Dick Award for best original science fiction paperback, this 1989 edition of the book that took the fantasy world by storm is the first hardcover version to be published in the United States. In his brief introduction, Ramsey Campbell sets The Anubis Gates in an adventure context, citing Powers's achievement of "extraordinary scenes of underground horror, of comedy both high and grotesque, of bizarre menace, of poetic fantasy."

The colonization of Egypt by western European powers is the launch point for power plays and machinations. Steeping together in this time-warp stew are such characters as an unassuming Coleridge scholar, ancient gods, wizards, the Knights Templar, werewolves, and other quasi-mortals, all wrapped in the organizing fabric of Egyptian mythology. In the best of fantasy traditions, the reluctant heroes fight for survival against an evil that lurks beneath the surface of their everyday lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:51 -0400)

A novel of time travel that combines action and adventure with the surreal and bizarre.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,818,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible