James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach (1961)

by Roald Dahl

Recently added byHunterMiddle, pcollins, nicole2677, private library, mathsie, KRoan, tardisgal
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Skipping stones at the center of the earth : a middle grade novel by Andy Hueller (LAKobow)
    The Booktime Book of Fantastic First Poems by June Crebbin (lukemoore4)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work for kids and adults that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.

English (161)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (164)
It is hard to think of a writer that does not get better--no one would think that The Pickwick Papers was Dickens' best book, certainly not Northanger Abbey for Jane Austen, and it is hard to even remember the first books for a number of other authors. Roald Dahl's first (children's) book is no exception. it is imaginative, memorable and introduces many of the themes and ideas that show up in his later books. But the character development, depth and imagination do not come close to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, the BFG, or many of the other towering classics that followed. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
A terrible tragedy leaves James at the mercy of his atrocious and cruel aunts until an unexpected encounter with a strange man changes his life dramatically. A bag of magical green crystal like objects are only the beginning of a string of strange and wonderful events. Life would take him on an adventure he never could have imagined nor will likely ever forget.

Re-reading Roald Dahl's books as an adult has given me a completely new appreciation for his brilliance. It takes a special kind of magic to able to write a book for children that can be equally enjoyed by people of all ages. Looking back I realized now that as a child I missed a lot of the dark humour that Dahl uses his storytelling, but now I can experience with complete admiration and enjoyment. A five star read the first time around and I suspect every time after that as well. Love. Love. Love. ( )
  jolerie | May 30, 2014 |
Author: Ronald Dahl
Title: James and the Giant Peach
Illustrator: Quentin Blake
Publisher: Puffin
Year: 2007
Pages: 160
Type: Modern Fantasy
Summary: James is forced to live with his two aunts after his parents die. James's aunts are cruel and neglect him, James receives these seeds which he plants. He then has this huge peach that he can fit inside. He goes on adventures inside the peach and meets new friends.

I liked this book, I feel like it gave hope to the little boy, since he was having such a hard time. I think younger kids will enjoy this book because of their imagination since their is such a large peach.
  emfro20 | May 14, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this imaginative story about friendships, problem solving, and finding ones strengths. Throughout their journey in the peach, James and his new insect friends had to find new ways to overcome the problems they faced. James always came up with a way to fix their problems using the world around him and his companions. The story takes something people would normally be disgusted by, insects, and makes them fun and useful. The author explains what the insects do in a personified manner, which made them more relatable. As a reader, I gained an appreciation for insects because I enjoyed their characters and I learned what each of them does in nature. I also liked that the book included poetry said by the characters. The poems were very silly and were a nice addition to the plot. Overall, I loved the story and reading about the many problems faced by James and his friends. ( )
  EmilySadler | May 1, 2014 |
I like this book more than the movie when it came out. Once again, the creativity and imagination is great. I think this was my favorite book I read by Roald Dahl. ( )
  EmilySansovich | Apr 27, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkert, Nancy EkholmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140374248, Paperback)

When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find." Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life. James befriends an assortment of hilarious characters, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede--each with his or her own song to sing. Roald Dahl's rich imagery and amusing characters ensure that parents will not tire of reading this classic aloud, which they will no doubt be called to do over and over again! With the addition of witty black and white pencil drawings by Lane Smith (of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs fame), upon which the animation for the Disney movie was based, this classic, now in paperback, is bursting with renewed vigor. We'll just come right out and say it: James and the Giant Peach is one of the finest children's books ever written. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:59 -0400)

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805927, 0141322632, 014180775X, 0141331267, 0141333189, 0143106341, 0241953308

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,658,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible