James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach (1961)

by Roald Dahl

10,653209267 (3.97)208

English (207)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (210)
Narrated by Julian Rhind-Tutt. Thanks to an enthusiastic and entertaining performance by Rhind-Tutt, young listeners will see each character in their minds' eyes, from James' self-absorbed aunts to his buggy traveling companions. Sound effects such as splashing water, cheering crowds and thunder add to the audio experience. I did find myself having to crank the volume and rewind several times to catch words or phrases I missed when his voice would drop in volume. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 3, 2016 |
James Henry Trotter has been orphaned and sadly forced to leave his happy childhood to live with his Aunts Sponge and Spiker. The aunts are very cruel and resentful and treat James horribly. When a strange man offers James magic crocodile tongues with the promise that something amazing will happen, he can't wait to see what happens. And what does happen is the most amazing adventure of his life, leading him both to good friends and happiness.

I read this book as a child and remember really enjoying it. As an adult I didn't enjoy it quite as much, but it's target audience is obviously much younger than I. It is full of all the absurdities and fun that you would expect from Roald Dahl.

This go around, I listened to an audio version with my children when we were in the car. I thought the narrator did a very nice job, particularly with all the voices he provided for the aunts and James's companions inside the peach. I highly recommend this book as a read-along with child of 8 or younger and read-alone for child between the ages of 8-12. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
James And The Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl
★★★ and a ½ (round up to 4)

Synopsis: When James accidentally drops some magic crystals by the old peach tree, strange things start to happen. The peach at the top of the tree begins to grow, and before long it's as big as a house. When James discovers a secret entranceway into the fruit and crawls inside, he meets wonderful new friends--the Old-Green-Grasshopper, the dainty Ladybug, and the Centipede of the multiple boots. After years of feeling like an outsider in his aunts' house, James finally found a place where he belongs. With a snip of the stem, the peach household starts rolling away--and the adventure begins! Roald Dahl's first and most widely celebrated book for young people continues to thrill readers around the world.
In A Sentence: A very sweet read (“sweet”, get it? Haha.)
My Thoughts: I started this book when I was 9 and never finished it, and I’ve regretted this ever since. Now at 26, I’ve finally gotten around to it.
…And I enjoyed it! It was a very cute read, and, for an adult, very quick. I literally read this in less than 2 hours. And I liked every second of it. The characters were fun, there were some funny moments, and the story was so out there that you just had to like it.
It still a children’s book, however. I think children would enjoy this more than adults would. But adults can still have nostalgic fun with this read. Strongly recommended (c’mon, it’s Roald Dahl! ‘Nuff said.)
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
This book is very enjoyable to read. The language is descriptive in the book as well as engaging and imaginative. The story setting is set in James's imagination so the language in the book is imaginative and dependent on what James is thinking, which is very magical and creative because he is a young boy. The plot is also very exciting as well, the story starts out with James losing his parents and being forced to live with his evil aunts. Then James steps outside and sees a giant peach growing, and discovers the peach is magical. James and his new friends then explore and journey through the peach, to get away from his aunts. The story is exciting and has a plot that flows well, and it draws in the reader with the major events in the sequence. The story also contains a variety of characters that can be very believable to young children, and to children who imagine themselves in James's situation. The main idea of the book is to show children how to develop friendship and overcome their fears in life, as well as your imagination can take you where you want to go. ( )
  kaylastoots | Dec 8, 2015 |
This story is about a young boy who is orphaned when his parents are eaten. He has to live with his aunts, but they are not nice to him. James eats magical green beans and something amazing happens, the peach begins to grow. He climbs threw the peach and meets a spider, worm and other strange friends.
I like this book because it is very abstract and unrealistic. Students must use their imagination to read this book. But the nice thing is, there is also a movie to go along with the readings. ( )
  tnelson12 | Dec 1, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkert, Nancy EkholmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

James escapes his aunts
on board a giant peach with
huge, friendly insects.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140374248, Paperback)

When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find." Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life. James befriends an assortment of hilarious characters, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede--each with his or her own song to sing. Roald Dahl's rich imagery and amusing characters ensure that parents will not tire of reading this classic aloud, which they will no doubt be called to do over and over again! With the addition of witty black and white pencil drawings by Lane Smith (of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs fame), upon which the animation for the Disney movie was based, this classic, now in paperback, is bursting with renewed vigor. We'll just come right out and say it: James and the Giant Peach is one of the finest children's books ever written. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805927, 0141322632, 014180775X, 0141331267, 0141333189, 0143106341, 0241953308

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,252,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible