James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach (1961)

by Roald Dahl

10,282193280 (3.97)201

English (192)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (195)
Not my favorite Dahl book, this one is more of a fable than anything else, given the implausible behavior of the characters. ( )
  Audacity88 | Aug 23, 2015 |
Excellent adventure story for kids grades 2-6, I'd say. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
The classic story of a boy and a magically grown peach along with a cast of great characters. This one was hard to assess because it didn't keep my interest for most of the time. The first half of the book I found dull and the characters a bit interesting. Once the second half progressed it got more interesting and was easier for me to finish. The writing style, like all of Roald Dahl's books, is great but like I said it didn't keep my interest. I didn't particularly like it but I didn't hate it either. I do however see how this book has moved children but also challenges children with great word choice and style. As for me though, it had it's impressive moments but I just wanted to finish it to get it out of the way. I do believe though that it will inspire more younger readers to continue reading and who also appreciate the magic that writing can provide. I have definitely enjoyed other works of Dahl far more than this one. Story alone did not do it for me and I would have rated it lower but because I do see the value of this book and what it can do for younger readers, I think it deserved the rating it got. ( )
  alejandro.santana | Aug 4, 2015 |
We went and saw the stage version of James and the Giant Peach and it was Emmett's first play! He chortled through the whole thing--the funny parts, the craaazy parts--and then we got ice cream and looked at the murals in Chemainus and he pooped and it was the nicest day.

And it reminded me what a stone classic (but freestone or clingstone??) this is: the gooey and not a little bit gross amazement of entering the peach-womb for the first time, to be reborn into a better childhood; the giant bugs with their well-articulated personalities and foibles and wisdom, Socratic crackpots and inhuman guides along the path of human maturation and in a lineage stretching back to Baloo and Bagheera and beyond (you have to take up the human burden eventually, and that's where the animals have to leave you behind); the absolute facility with which Dahl works on two levels--kids' farce and grown-up farce--with the encounter with the Russians and the final descent into a self-parodizing New York; the absolutely on-key mix of the wondrous (those seagulls! the cloud monsters!) and grotesque (if Emmett only wishes periodically that his parents would be killed by a rhinoceros, I think we'll be doing all right) that I think (however we might try to elbow children into fitting our angel- and devil-narratives as they recur and oscillate over the development of the culture) is basically what childhood is.

You never know what kind of kid you're gonna get, and I'm starting to suspect with Emmett too that every time I think I have a handle on it, that'll be just when he does something new to surprise me; but for whatever my feeling's worth in this case, I feel like this book is about as close to a sure thing children's crowdpleaser as there is. ( )
2 vote MeditationesMartini | Jul 31, 2015 |
This has always been on of my favorite books. From the first time my mom read this book to me as a child to reading it again as an adult, I always get entranced in the storyline. I love each of the characters and their eclectic personalities. I also absolutely love the cloud men and I would love to do some kind of art or science project related to them when I am a teacher. What I love the most about Roald Dahl's books is that they are not pretentious in anyway packed with hidden meaning; rather, their intention is simply to allow the brain a creative, imaginative vacation. With this book, the real is mixed seamlessly from the imaginative with true facts of insects being mixed in with imaginative explanations for weather, in a way that makes readers think anything is possible. This story is why I love reading. Everything about it is simply magical. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jul 24, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkert, Nancy EkholmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

James escapes his aunts
on board a giant peach with
huge, friendly insects.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140374248, Paperback)

When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find." Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life. James befriends an assortment of hilarious characters, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede--each with his or her own song to sing. Roald Dahl's rich imagery and amusing characters ensure that parents will not tire of reading this classic aloud, which they will no doubt be called to do over and over again! With the addition of witty black and white pencil drawings by Lane Smith (of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs fame), upon which the animation for the Disney movie was based, this classic, now in paperback, is bursting with renewed vigor. We'll just come right out and say it: James and the Giant Peach is one of the finest children's books ever written. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805927, 0141322632, 014180775X, 0141331267, 0141333189, 0143106341, 0241953308

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,156,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible