James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach (original 1961; edition 1961)

by Roald Dahl, Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)

11,195238251 (3.97)222
Member:dantesraven
Title:James and the Giant Peach
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1961), Edition: First Edition / Second Issue, Unknown Binding
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Childrens

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (1961)

English (236)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (239)
This book has great imagination and creativity. It has many aspects that would be great ways to integrate into curriculum such as through science and character traits. However, it can touch on some sensitive subjects such as abuse and death. When reading this book, it is important to know your students and their background. ( )
  SarahA5752 | Sep 19, 2016 |
This book was a very interesting book to read, but the language that was used within the book was not one that I would want my students to read. I would not feel comfortable reading this book aloud to my students because of the violence and language that is used within the book. Although there are characteristics of the book that I do not agree with, the book itself is very engaging and intriguing. ( )
  AshleyJarrard | Sep 19, 2016 |
I was not the biggest fan of this book. It seemed dark and absurd, frankly I also wasn't fond of the prevalance of insects, but I don't like bugs so that makes sense. However, the book was well written and I can see the appeal it may have with young students. ( )
  kblackmar1 | Sep 19, 2016 |
Love this book! I remember that it was one of the most memorable chapter books that I read in elementary school. After reading it again as a 23 year old, I was reminded of why I enjoyed reading it so much! Such an enjoyable book and a fun story! ( )
  morgansmith32 | Sep 18, 2016 |
James and The Giant Peach is an unusual chapter book for kids. This is a fantasy book, so there are many strange and unique phenomenons. James, the main character, goes through a big character change throughout the book. This can be good for students to see and reflect upon. The book has a few curse words that may be inappropriate for small children. The characters in the book also have a sense of disrespect for authority. This may not be the best thing for children gain ideas from, however, could be a good learning experience for them to read through.
  Jaymand | Sep 17, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkert, Nancy EkholmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

James escapes his aunts
on board a giant peach with
huge, friendly insects.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140374248, Paperback)

When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find." Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life. James befriends an assortment of hilarious characters, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede--each with his or her own song to sing. Roald Dahl's rich imagery and amusing characters ensure that parents will not tire of reading this classic aloud, which they will no doubt be called to do over and over again! With the addition of witty black and white pencil drawings by Lane Smith (of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs fame), upon which the animation for the Disney movie was based, this classic, now in paperback, is bursting with renewed vigor. We'll just come right out and say it: James and the Giant Peach is one of the finest children's books ever written. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805927, 0141322632, 014180775X, 0141331267, 0141333189, 0143106341, 0241953308

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,125,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible