James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach (original 1961; edition 1961)

by Roald Dahl, Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)

Title:James and the Giant Peach
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1961), Edition: First Edition / Second Issue, Unknown Binding
Tags:Fiction, Childrens

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (1961)

English (246)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (249)
This story is creative and inspiring due to the fact that the author brings hope to the little boy James in escaping his torturing aunts, to go on an adventure with some talking insects to find his lost parents. The adventure brought about the best in James and gave him hope in finding his parents accompanied by friendly characters who helped him while traveling in a giant peach. It brought imagination beyond many boundaries ins which you can appreciate while reading the book, young or old. ( )
  LaurenSchifter | Oct 4, 2016 |
This book may have been on the banned book list but I really do love this book. It is so imaginative and can relate to students who have lost their parents. It also shows diversity in the home life and in title one schools this could be a great tool to use to talk about how each student may have a different home life. I also think it is such an inspiring text because James's luck does change after being sent to live with Aunts. I also love the vocabulary in this book because it is very descriptive of the Adventures they go on while inside the Giant Peach. I will for sure being using this book in my classroom in the future. ( )
  abelser | Sep 29, 2016 |
I love the creativity and the imagination the author sparks in his funny and interesting writing. The overall story of the boy finding friends and a home that he loves is a great lesson for children. I also enjoyed the little surprise at the end of the story that tells the reader that the story they were reading was actually Jame's story that he published.
  TaylorAtkinson | Sep 29, 2016 |
We're all familiar with this story due to the movie released by Disney, so I'm surprised to learn the book was banned on several occasions for many reasons. The only one that stood out to me was disobedience to adults as James didn't listen or obey his aunts throughout the story. But no one could blame him because of how horrible they treat him. I would read this to children, mainly because I grew up on this story and I never had negative feelings toward it. This particular book had beautiful illustrations and teaches kids to be courageous and to face their fears. ( )
  maturne2 | Sep 29, 2016 |
For some people, they do not enjoy the ongoing adventures that James finds himself in and all the magic that follows. For myself, I absolutely love this book. I'm someone who is easily distracted and I don't often have time to just sit down and read. When I do finally make time to read, I begin thinking of all the other things I could or should be doing and I'm unable to follow along with the story. During James and the Giant Peach, however, that did not happen. This book is filled with adventure and so descriptive that it actually makes you feel like you're experiencing it as well. It's always one thing after another in this book and that's definitely what I love most. The story line of little boy coming from a broken home but then being able to find happiness in friends and loved ones, fills my heart and also encourages me to read it to my own class one day because I really think there could always be that one child who is able to relate and find happiness or get away through this book.
  Chelsea07127 | Sep 28, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkert, Nancy EkholmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

James escapes his aunts
on board a giant peach with
huge, friendly insects.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140374248, Paperback)

When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find." Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life. James befriends an assortment of hilarious characters, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede--each with his or her own song to sing. Roald Dahl's rich imagery and amusing characters ensure that parents will not tire of reading this classic aloud, which they will no doubt be called to do over and over again! With the addition of witty black and white pencil drawings by Lane Smith (of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs fame), upon which the animation for the Disney movie was based, this classic, now in paperback, is bursting with renewed vigor. We'll just come right out and say it: James and the Giant Peach is one of the finest children's books ever written. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805927, 0141322632, 014180775X, 0141331267, 0141333189, 0143106341, 0241953308

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,787,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible