James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach (original 1961; edition 1961)

by Roald Dahl, Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)

Member:dantesraven
Title:James and the Giant Peach
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1961), Edition: First Edition / Second Issue, Unknown Binding
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Childrens

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (1961)

Recently added byprivate library, Hhaddad1, JMlibrarian, bethanysegars88, ohbookish, mksamp, Tacoma.Red, j.alice
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Skipping stones at the center of the earth : a middle grade novel by Andy Hueller (LAKobow)
    The Booktime Book of Fantastic First Poems by June Crebbin (lukemoore4)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work for kids and adults that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.

English (175)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (178)
This is a fantasy book that follow 7 year old James Trotter as he is orphaned after his parents die, and is forced to go live with his two mean Aunts. One day when he is at his aunts farm, a strange old man comes and gives him a packet of magical green objects and he tells James that if he follows directions completely then something spectacular will happen. On his way into his house, James trips and the objects spill onto the groud. All of a sudden a peach starts to grow bigger and bigger, until finally it is bigger than their house. He crawls through to the pit and is welcomed by a group of insects. They cut the vine of the peach and start their journey in the peach all the way to New York. ( )
  kfrost32 | Feb 24, 2015 |
In my opinion, "James and the Giant Peach," written by Roald Dahl is a good book; although, there were a couple of aspects that I did not particularly like. Through the use of setting, illustrations, plot, and literary tools, the impossible story seems possible while it conveys the two central themes. The two central themes that I found throughout my reading are friendship and overcoming one’s fears.
Throughout the novel, the author uses descriptive language to give the reader a mental image of the characters and the setting. The different illustrations in the book also contributed to this mental image. The images given to the reader allows him or her to truly get pulled into the story and understand the theme of overcoming one’s fears. The main character, James, goes on a wild adventure inside a giant peace that grew due to magic worms. Inside the peach, there are also several other characters that were life sized bugs and insects. Through word choice, descriptive language, and characterization, the author brings these characters to life while making it seem completely possible for these characters to talk.
Over the course of the book, James, the bugs and insects, and the peach are floating in the ocean to an unknown place. At several points in the book, the characters are faced with very challenging and scary situations that required the characters to overcome their fears in order to survive their journey. For example, when sharks are attacking the peach, the earthworm must overcome his fear of birds to help his friends collect seagulls, in the hopes that the birds would lift the peach out of the water. The descriptive language allows the reader to see the earthworm’s character develop from being extremely frightened to facing his fears head on and bravely acting as bait to help escape the sharks.
Another main theme in this book was friendship. To convey this message, the author used a mixture of imagery, voice, and characterization. In the beginning of the novel, the author introduces the main character, James, to the reader. Through voice and word choice, the reader feels sympathetic for James’ character. James lives with his two terrible aunts who abuse him emotionally and physically. They also never allow James to play with the other children, keeping him sheltered from experiencing a normal childhood. Through the words used and the illustrations provided, the reader has the opportunity to feel and imagine the longing desire for friendship that James feels. Once James escapes his aunts and is traveling with the bugs and insects, we see James’ character develop from a sad, miserable young boy to a boy filled with joy and hope. Through the many adventures James and his friends have, the author conveys the importance of friendship and how it truly makes a difference in one’s life.
Although I really enjoyed this book and believe it conveys extremely important messages for children, there are two things that I do not particularly like about the novel. First, throughout the book, the author’s word choice included a few curse words that are inappropriate for children. I truly do not think that using these words were necessary or contributed to the central themes in any way. Also, I did not like the way James’ aunts were killed or the reaction of the other characters when this happened. James’ aunts were run over by the giant peach and squished. The reaction of the characters was complete excitement and they found it to be humorous. Although James’ aunts were awful people who treated James terribly, I believe the death of a person is a sad loss no matter whom they are and should never be conveyed with humor and delight. Presented this way, I think it provides children with a negative message.
Overall, I think this is a great book! Although I disliked a few small aspects of the story, I think it conveys two extremely important messages. Through the author’s use of descriptive language, illustrations, characterization, and other literary tools, the impossible becomes possible while, at the same time, teaching the importance of friendship and overcoming one’s fears. ( )
  heathergoodman | Feb 16, 2015 |
I chose this book because it was by Roald Dahl, and he is one of my favorite authors, and this is one of my favorite stories. It is fiction, and children will get lost in the creative imagery. I think it would be a good book for 3rd or 4th graders, to transition them into chapter books. It is about a young boy who escapes his home, and then finds himself traveling around in a magical peach. He meets new friends and he experiences new happiness that he never felt before. The genre is fantasy fiction.
  lauraleerose | Feb 10, 2015 |
I can’t remember much about "James and the Giant Peach", as I read it when at primary school, but I do recall how popular Roald Dahl was with most if not all of the class, and this book was amongst the most popular. For that reason I’m rating this four stars and hope I’m not being unjustified.

I do recall reading this one at home and think teacher also read it to us (the equivalent to an audio book)somewhere from 1983-85, thus I’ve put 1984 as reading dates as an average. I will have read/heard a few of Mr Dahl’s books during this period, of which some titles I can’t remember at all, but this one I may have read up to three times.

If I had to or wanted to re-read any children’s books for some reason or other then I’d definitely opt for works by this author. All these years on and he’s left a very faint yet happy memories in the back of my mind. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |
mysterious, sad, and funny novel. Good for reading allowed in class. gr level 4-5
  Nicole129672 | Dec 15, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkert, Nancy EkholmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140374248, Paperback)

When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find." Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life. James befriends an assortment of hilarious characters, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede--each with his or her own song to sing. Roald Dahl's rich imagery and amusing characters ensure that parents will not tire of reading this classic aloud, which they will no doubt be called to do over and over again! With the addition of witty black and white pencil drawings by Lane Smith (of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs fame), upon which the animation for the Disney movie was based, this classic, now in paperback, is bursting with renewed vigor. We'll just come right out and say it: James and the Giant Peach is one of the finest children's books ever written. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:59 -0400)

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805927, 0141322632, 014180775X, 0141331267, 0141333189, 0143106341, 0241953308

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,744,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible