James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach (original 1961; edition 1961)

by Roald Dahl, Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)

Member:dantesraven
Title:James and the Giant Peach
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1961), Edition: First Edition / Second Issue, Unknown Binding
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Childrens

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (1961)

English (219)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (222)
A beautifully written, fantastic fantasy book.What an adventure from James and the Giant Peach! I read this book in grade school and choose it again because it is a cute and fun tale; you couldn't help but root for James who just wanted some friends and happiness in his life. The author uses pen and pencil to create this black and white book that takes you away on a magical journey. I could read this book over and over and still discover new and exciting things I missed before. ( )
  Shannon_373 | Apr 21, 2016 |
James and the Giant Peach is a story about a boy who lives with two old women. He discovers a peach growing and suddenly the peach becomes enormous. He becomes friends with the bugs that he had previously saved. He and his bug friends sail across the ocean and over come many obstetrical. They reach New York and find a new place to call home.

I enjoyed reading this story as a child. I also enjoyed watching the movie. I think this poetry is considered timeless. I think the story has a good moral to it about doing things for the good of all men and working as a team.

Classroom Extension 1: I would ask the students to journal a made up story. I would have them pick three animals or insects they would bring with them. I would also have them decide on a food they want to make larger than life. The would have the freedom to make the story about anything.

Classroom Extension 2: I would have the students use imagery to create a super food. They could make any kind of food that they wanted larger than life. The would need to describe what they are feeling, hearing, tasting, seeing, smelling, and the process of how they will make this large food. I would them ask them to create a picture of their food. ( )
  AngieOliviaDodd | Apr 17, 2016 |
I liked the book James and the Giant Peach. The characters, illustrations and plot all contribute this book and its uniqueness. In the book almost all of the characters are bugs. All characters have amazing rich imagery that brings creatures without human characteristics to life. Right alongside these amazing character descriptions are small illustrations. While James and the Giant Peach is a chapter book, there are small illustrations found that help the reader imagine the characters and what is happening in the book as the author saw it. The plot is also extremely creative. In the book magic crystals make a peach grow and animals come to life bring adventure into the life of a little boy. This book is about beginning new life, and making friends in unique places.
  may_tay_kay | Apr 11, 2016 |
I liked the book James and the Giant Peach for three reasons. First, I liked the plot of the story. The plot was creative and imaginative as it told a story of a young boy who traveled across the ocean in a giant peach. For example, “A peach blossomed, and it grew, and grew, and GREW. Within minutes it was the size of a house. James was so hungry he took a bite out of it. When he did, a large hole appeared in its side. James was curious, so he crawled in.” The entire plot is creative as the author portrays an imaginative world where little boys can fit inside a giant peach. Second, I liked the language. The language used throughout the story is descriptive and engaging. For example, “The giant peach rolled right over it, flattening the automobile like a pancake. And the peach didn’t stop there. It kept rolling; right through a village, over a church, and smashing through a fence, carrying it away. Finally, the peach launched itself off a huge cliff and…… KER-PLUNK was all they heard when they landed.” The author uses descriptive language to emphasize specific actions in the story such as the sound of the peach when it landed. Also, there are many similes used throughout to emphasize an action in the story such as when the peach flattened the car like a pancake. It allows the readers to portray what the author is describing in a unique way. Lastly, I liked the illustrations. The illustrations enhanced the story and added an image to follow along with besides the written text. For example, “They were in the middle of the ocean……A huge, man-eating shark was bearing down on them.” The illustration following this text was beautifully drawn with lots of various different colors used. The illustration depicts what the written text described in a similar way for readers to visualize. There was a lot of detail used to portray the peach sitting alone in the ocean with a very large shark just below it. The big idea of the story is the importance of overcoming one’s fears. If you always allow fear to hold you back, you will never be able to experience the wonders and excitement of the world beyond you. ( )
  sgoshe2 | Apr 4, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book just because I remember watching the movie as a child. I was great to see the differences and new things that I did not think about when watching the movie. I liked that it was still the same how James' parents died and that he still lived with his two nasty aunts. This is since some of the other versions he lives with a aunt and uncle instead. I also liked the part where the bugs were trying to tell him that there is more to life then he was seeing. I think the overall message of this book was to believe in yourself and don't let anyone drag you down. ( )
  escalc1 | Apr 1, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkert, Nancy EkholmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

James escapes his aunts
on board a giant peach with
huge, friendly insects.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140374248, Paperback)

When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find." Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life. James befriends an assortment of hilarious characters, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede--each with his or her own song to sing. Roald Dahl's rich imagery and amusing characters ensure that parents will not tire of reading this classic aloud, which they will no doubt be called to do over and over again! With the addition of witty black and white pencil drawings by Lane Smith (of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs fame), upon which the animation for the Disney movie was based, this classic, now in paperback, is bursting with renewed vigor. We'll just come right out and say it: James and the Giant Peach is one of the finest children's books ever written. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805927, 0141322632, 014180775X, 0141331267, 0141333189, 0143106341, 0241953308

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible