James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach (original 1961; edition 1961)

by Roald Dahl, Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)

Member:dantesraven
Title:James and the Giant Peach
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Nancy Ekholm Burkert (Illustrator)
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1961), Edition: First Edition / Second Issue, Unknown Binding
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Childrens

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (1961)

English (186)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (189)
This has always been on of my favorite books. From the first time my mom read this book to me as a child to reading it again as an adult, I always get entranced in the storyline. I love each of the characters and their eclectic personalities. I also absolutely love the cloud men and I would love to do some kind of art or science project related to them when I am a teacher. What I love the most about Roald Dahl's books is that they are not pretentious in anyway packed with hidden meaning; rather, their intention is simply to allow the brain a creative, imaginative vacation. With this book, the real is mixed seamlessly from the imaginative with true facts of insects being mixed in with imaginative explanations for weather, in a way that makes readers think anything is possible. This story is why I love reading. Everything about it is simply magical. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jul 24, 2015 |
James and the Giant Peach, as we all know, is the story of a young boy who is for some reason given magical worms which he drops onto the floor. They produce a giant peach and an array of giant insect friends who collect James and take him on a magical adventure.

James and the Giant peach is a solid book. It sneaks in facts about insects when you're not looking, has a range of distinct characters etc. I somehow feel, though, that it lacks some of the humour and gross elements that normally make Dahl's work so oddly charming. ( )
  TPauSilver | Jul 19, 2015 |
James lives with his nasty aunts and is thoroughly miserable until one day something magic happens and an ancient peach tree in the backyard suddenly grows a beautiful peach that keeps growing until it's bigger than the house. When the peach breaks free and goes rolling off on fantastic adventures, James happens to be aboard- along with a handful of insects which have also magically grown to tremendous size. They're quite the characters. I read this with my kid and we got the most laughs out of the endless banter between the Earthworm and the Centipede with his many, many boots. It really is a fun story. All the more delightful that lots of facts about the insects are working into the story, so you don't even realize you're learning about them.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Jul 11, 2015 |
When James accidentally drops some magic crystals by the old peach tree, the peach at the top of the tree begins to grow, and before long it's as big as a house. When James discovers a secret entranceway into the fruit and crawls inside, he meets wonderful new friends. The Old-Green-Grasshopper, the dainty Ladybug and the Centipede of the multiple boots. After years of feeling like an outsider in his aunts' house, James finally found a place where he belongs. With a snip of the stem, the peach household starts rolling away and the adventure begins!

Personal: This was always one of my personal favorites from my childhood. Sometimes it is a little difficult to find your place in the world but once you do the results are amazing.

Extension: Have all the children writ a story about an adventure James and his fiends went on.
  M_Graham | Jul 4, 2015 |
James Henry Trotter is an orphan sent to live with his ghastly aunts in the south of England after his parents are killed by an enormous rhinoceros. Feeling sad and lonely, James makes the acquaintance of a strange old man who offers him some magic crocodile tongues, which James promptly spills at the foot of the old peach tree in his aunts' garden. When after a few days an enormous peach starts to grow, James makes his escape in it while meeting some of the peach's inhabitants, and together they live through several adventures until they land in New York.

Normally I love Roald Dahl's work, but his usual inventiveness (with yuk-factor) and acerbic wit are only found in the first third of the book, after which the storyline becomes somewhat repetitive and the humour and rhymes merely limp along. While I was feeling less than engaged with the plot, I think my son didn't feel quite as strongly as I did, but he kept comparing it to the film adaptation, which I believe he enjoys more than the book. Quentin Blake's illustrations are a treat though, as always. ( )
  passion4reading | Jun 26, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkert, Nancy EkholmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Olivia and Tessa.
Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life.
And sometimes, if you were very lucky, you would find the Old-Green-Grasshopper in there as well, resting peacefully in a chair before the fire, or perhaps it would be the Ladybug who had dropped in for a cup of tea and gossip, or the Centipede to show off a new batch of particularly elegant boots that he had just acquired.

James escapes his aunts
on board a giant peach with
huge, friendly insects.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140374248, Paperback)

When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find." Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life. James befriends an assortment of hilarious characters, including Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, and Centipede--each with his or her own song to sing. Roald Dahl's rich imagery and amusing characters ensure that parents will not tire of reading this classic aloud, which they will no doubt be called to do over and over again! With the addition of witty black and white pencil drawings by Lane Smith (of The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs fame), upon which the animation for the Disney movie was based, this classic, now in paperback, is bursting with renewed vigor. We'll just come right out and say it: James and the Giant Peach is one of the finest children's books ever written. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

A young boy escapes from two wicked aunts and embarks on a series of adventures with six giant insects he meets inside a giant peach.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805927, 0141322632, 014180775X, 0141331267, 0141333189, 0143106341, 0241953308

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible