Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Alex Flinn

Info:HarperTeen (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Beastly by Alex Flinn (2007)

English (197)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (202)
Beastly is a modern teenage version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast told from the Beast's point of view. This tale is of Kyle who pre-transformation was a shallow, popular and very mean 16 year old and his growth afterwards as Adrian the Beast.

As the Beast he goes into deep philosophical thought over the meaning of beauty and truth, and finally learns to appreciate the simple things in life that he formerly took for granted. He becomes thoughtful and caring when he realises that he needs those around him, giving them the respect they deserve but also looks back at the person he was and the people he once chose to spend time with, deciding they never were his friends.

He uncovers the true people behind their online personnas which is a lesson to everyone especially the YA audience this is aimed at, that the nice 18 year old you met online could easily be a 12 year old school girl, a thirty year old cop or even a 50 year old man!

I love the cold reality of this book. The desperation of Kyle/Adrian's situation is fully realised when his thoughts turn to very dark possibilities. His father's selfishness and utter abandonment of his son even before his transformation and Lindy's father's drug habit and the lengths he goes to, to feed it are all very realistic.

I also loved the literary references and how they tied into Adrian's situation like [b:The Hunchback of Notre-Dame|30597|The Hunchback of Notre-Dame|Victor Hugo|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1168079239s/30597.jpg|3043569], [b:The Phantom of the Opera|480204|The Phantom of the Opera|Gaston Leroux|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266565395s/480204.jpg|2259720] and [b:The Picture of Dorian Gray|5297|The Picture of Dorian Gray|Oscar Wilde|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1204865529s/5297.jpg|1858012] as well as Lindy's favourite [b:Jane Eyre|10210|Jane Eyre|Charlotte Brontë|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266450134s/10210.jpg|2977639]. I chuckled when I read the reference to the movie [b:The Princess Bride|21787|The Princess Bride |William Goldman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266452791s/21787.jpg|992628] -one of my favourites!

After all my praise you're probably wondering what the reason is behind my two-star rating, which would be Adrian's developing love for Lindy. I didn't believe it. They seemed more like friends. I couldn't believe that their love would be enduring. After a gritty beginning, Adrian suddenly became very sappy and using the corny language from Lindy's favourite books. Considering that the relationship is a big part of this fairy tale, I found it lacking and extremely disappointing. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Enjoy these "remakes". Well done - good for adults as well as young adults. Going to read the rest of author's remakes. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
2.5 stars
Loved the concept of the book -- mean, rich, materialistic teen boy gets what he deserves. Unfortunately, the execution was dull and uneventful, until the end. I found myself not connecting with the characters or caring much about them.
Enjoyed the little twist in the end, nice touch. I did find Kyle's dialogue a bit awkward when he was the beast. For example when he says "Especially for you, milady". Ok, not sure if I've ever heard any modern day teen say that phrase, beast or not. Also I found it hard to believe that he had truly changed on the inside.
I will put the second installment of this series on my to read list but am not in a hurry to find it. ( )
  ginger72 | Mar 12, 2014 |
A modern twist on the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale. The writing is average and the plot, romance are a bit forced to fit within the classic tale. The kidnapping is particularly problematic for me in a contemporary story. I do like its message of beauty is on the inside as well as its commentary or bullying. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 5, 2014 |
Told from the point of view of the beast, who starts as a handsome shallow high-school student who treats a fellow student very badly and is punished by being turned into a beast. He has a lot of money to throw at the problem so he retreats into a house, hires a blind teacher and gets on with it, going out only during the night when he can hide under a hood and in the dark and finds himself changing and becoming different. When a chance encounter brings a girl into the mix he finds that while she's not as beautiful as many of his former classmates, she is beautiful on the inside.

I liked this retelling and will be looking forward to more by this author, I liked how many of the classic elements were used to make the story more interesting. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 2, 2014 |
Teens will LOL. They will also find their preoccupations with looks, status and pride explored thoroughly.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews

Flinn follows the fairy tale's original plot points closely, but falters in her depiction of the story's bad guys, over-the-top caricatures that simply ring false in her up-to-date setting.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

Beastly has romance, true love, tragic circumstances, magic, action adventure, and hope.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

A rare fairy-tale-inspired novel with equally strong appeal for boys and girls.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson

Alex Flinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

I am a beast.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:26 -0400)

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" from the point of view of the Beast, a vain Manhattan private school student who is turned into a monster and must find true love before he can return to his human form.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Two editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061963283, 0061998664

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,483,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible