Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Alex Flinn

Info:HarperTeen (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Beastly by Alex Flinn (2007)

English (198)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (203)
Quick, fun, a nice reminder that the lessons of fairy-tales are relevant today. Be aware that the physical changes of the boy to beast are more dramatic in the book than in the movie. And that the book really isn't for middle schoolers or innocent teens, imo. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This story is a modern take on the Disney story: Beauty and The Beast. The main character of this book, Kyle, is portrayed to be an extremely self-centered, rude, and arrogant high school boy who seems to be the hub of his school's social life. He takes almost everything for granted, and only acknowledges/cares about good-looking people. It is unclear what the reasons behind his behavior are, but he eventually transforms into an ugly "creature" as a result of his ugly thoughts and actions taking a toll on his physical appearance. He has only 2 years to get someone to fall in love with him, or he will remain ugly on the outside. Kyle's transformation into a more kind, gentle, and thoughtful young man delighted me, and restored my faith in seemingly impossible drastic change being in fact possible. Reading about someone develop in a positive way always brings a smile to my face. The moral of this book is to look at the interior of someone, rather than at their exterior, and I think it can be seen as an important reminder for everyone. ( )
  katietuv | Jan 22, 2015 |
I'm always a sucker for a [b:Beauty and the Beast|41424|Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast|Robin McKinley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1169613617s/41424.jpg|2321285] story, especially for the Beast's angle. This one, a young adult and modern version, was cleverly done. ( )
  Ferocity | Dec 29, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book I was told that I would but once I read it I would not like the movie but I think I will enjoy the movie also. I loved the Alex's take on the Beauty and Beast stories. I loved reading has Beast character developed into a better person. ( )
  amdase | Nov 4, 2014 |
Beastly is a modern teenage version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast told from the Beast's point of view. This tale is of Kyle who pre-transformation was a shallow, popular and very mean 16 year old and his growth afterwards as Adrian the Beast.

As the Beast he goes into deep philosophical thought over the meaning of beauty and truth, and finally learns to appreciate the simple things in life that he formerly took for granted. He becomes thoughtful and caring when he realises that he needs those around him, giving them the respect they deserve but also looks back at the person he was and the people he once chose to spend time with, deciding they never were his friends.

He uncovers the true people behind their online personnas which is a lesson to everyone especially the YA audience this is aimed at, that the nice 18 year old you met online could easily be a 12 year old school girl, a thirty year old cop or even a 50 year old man!

I love the cold reality of this book. The desperation of Kyle/Adrian's situation is fully realised when his thoughts turn to very dark possibilities. His father's selfishness and utter abandonment of his son even before his transformation and Lindy's father's drug habit and the lengths he goes to, to feed it are all very realistic.

I also loved the literary references and how they tied into Adrian's situation like [b:The Hunchback of Notre-Dame|30597|The Hunchback of Notre-Dame|Victor Hugo|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1168079239s/30597.jpg|3043569], [b:The Phantom of the Opera|480204|The Phantom of the Opera|Gaston Leroux|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266565395s/480204.jpg|2259720] and [b:The Picture of Dorian Gray|5297|The Picture of Dorian Gray|Oscar Wilde|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1204865529s/5297.jpg|1858012] as well as Lindy's favourite [b:Jane Eyre|10210|Jane Eyre|Charlotte Brontë|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266450134s/10210.jpg|2977639]. I chuckled when I read the reference to the movie [b:The Princess Bride|21787|The Princess Bride |William Goldman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266452791s/21787.jpg|992628] -one of my favourites!

After all my praise you're probably wondering what the reason is behind my two-star rating, which would be Adrian's developing love for Lindy. I didn't believe it. They seemed more like friends. I couldn't believe that their love would be enduring. After a gritty beginning, Adrian suddenly became very sappy and using the corny language from Lindy's favourite books. Considering that the relationship is a big part of this fairy tale, I found it lacking and extremely disappointing. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Teens will LOL. They will also find their preoccupations with looks, status and pride explored thoroughly.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews

Flinn follows the fairy tale's original plot points closely, but falters in her depiction of the story's bad guys, over-the-top caricatures that simply ring false in her up-to-date setting.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

Beastly has romance, true love, tragic circumstances, magic, action adventure, and hope.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

A rare fairy-tale-inspired novel with equally strong appeal for boys and girls.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson

Alex Flinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

I am a beast.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:26 -0400)

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" from the point of view of the Beast, a vain Manhattan private school student who is turned into a monster and must find true love before he can return to his human form.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061963283, 0061998664

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible