Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Alex Flinn

Info:HarperTeen (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Beastly by Alex Flinn (2007)

English (199)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (204)
Its an amazing book. So different than the movie though. Its way more detailed though and I love it for it. ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jun 24, 2015 |
Quick, fun, a nice reminder that the lessons of fairy-tales are relevant today. Be aware that the physical changes of the boy to beast are more dramatic in the book than in the movie. And that the book really isn't for middle schoolers or innocent teens, imo. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This story is a modern take on the Disney story: Beauty and The Beast. The main character of this book, Kyle, is portrayed to be an extremely self-centered, rude, and arrogant high school boy who seems to be the hub of his school's social life. He takes almost everything for granted, and only acknowledges/cares about good-looking people. It is unclear what the reasons behind his behavior are, but he eventually transforms into an ugly "creature" as a result of his ugly thoughts and actions taking a toll on his physical appearance. He has only 2 years to get someone to fall in love with him, or he will remain ugly on the outside. Kyle's transformation into a more kind, gentle, and thoughtful young man delighted me, and restored my faith in seemingly impossible drastic change being in fact possible. Reading about someone develop in a positive way always brings a smile to my face. The moral of this book is to look at the interior of someone, rather than at their exterior, and I think it can be seen as an important reminder for everyone. ( )
  katietuv | Jan 22, 2015 |
I'm always a sucker for a [b:Beauty and the Beast|41424|Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast|Robin McKinley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1169613617s/41424.jpg|2321285] story, especially for the Beast's angle. This one, a young adult and modern version, was cleverly done. ( )
  Ferocity | Dec 29, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book I was told that I would but once I read it I would not like the movie but I think I will enjoy the movie also. I loved the Alex's take on the Beauty and Beast stories. I loved reading has Beast character developed into a better person. ( )
  amdase | Nov 4, 2014 |
Teens will LOL. They will also find their preoccupations with looks, status and pride explored thoroughly.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews

Flinn follows the fairy tale's original plot points closely, but falters in her depiction of the story's bad guys, over-the-top caricatures that simply ring false in her up-to-date setting.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

Beastly has romance, true love, tragic circumstances, magic, action adventure, and hope.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

A rare fairy-tale-inspired novel with equally strong appeal for boys and girls.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson

Alex Flinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

I am a beast.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:54 -0400)

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" from the point of view of the Beast, a vain Manhattan private school student who is turned into a monster and must find true love before he can return to his human form.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061963283, 0061998664

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,089,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible