Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Alex Flinn

Member:lisa211
Title:Beastly
Authors:Alex Flinn
Info:HarperTeen (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Beastly by Alex Flinn (2007)

Recently added bybenandhil, Bekz, Rena37, NorthStarAcademyMQT, private library, mrbove, WildPanda, Roary47, Ethaisa

English (244)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (249)
A modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast, puts snobby, wealthy privileged teenager, Alex, in his place. A witch disgusted by his treatment of a fellow student turns him into a hairy beast. Of course, we know how the story ends, he finds that there is more to life than wealth and good looks. ( )
  brangwinn | Jul 7, 2016 |
Very sweet, modern Beauty and the Beast story. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Quick, fun, a nice reminder that the lessons of fairy-tales are relevant today. Be aware that the physical changes of the boy to beast are more dramatic in the book than in the movie. And that the book really isn't for middle schoolers or innocent teens, imo. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a good story. It modernizes the Beauty and the Beast story. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
A fun story. I always loved Beauty and the Beast. I also liked that it mentioned a few other fairy tails too! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Teens will LOL. They will also find their preoccupations with looks, status and pride explored thoroughly.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews

Flinn follows the fairy tale's original plot points closely, but falters in her depiction of the story's bad guys, over-the-top caricatures that simply ring false in her up-to-date setting.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

Beastly has romance, true love, tragic circumstances, magic, action adventure, and hope.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

A rare fairy-tale-inspired novel with equally strong appeal for boys and girls.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson

Alex Flinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Illingworth, SashaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

I am a beast.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:54 -0400)

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" from the point of view of the Beast, a vain Manhattan private school student who is turned into a monster and must find true love before he can return to his human form.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061963283, 0061998664

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,252,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible