Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Alex Flinn

Member:lisa211
Title:Beastly
Authors:Alex Flinn
Info:HarperTeen (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Beastly by Alex Flinn (2007)

English (251)  Spanish (2)  All (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (257)
I liked the different take on Beauty and the Beast. Very different, but entertaining. Had be hooked. I'd read more books by this author. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
This was my second Nook serial read. And, again, not a book that I would have picked out for myself. Definitely a YA book but I enjoyed reading a chapter each morning with my first cup of tea. It's the classic story of Beauty and the Beast set in present day time in NYC. Very rich, handsome young man who's ugly on the inside messes with the wrong person and before he knows what happened, the ugliness is now on the outside forever unless he figures out how to break the spell. ( )
  Dianekeenoy | May 29, 2017 |
Endearing and thoroughly enjoyable but predictable.

BEASTLY by Alex Flinn is a clever, modern-day adaptation of Beauty and the Beast told in first-person, past tense from the Beast's point of view. Though the online chat room references are now outdated (MySpace), this book maintains a millennial feel.
As far as retellings go, this one stays fairly true to the original tale: mirror, roses, fury beast and all, though the paperback cover suggests something else entirely. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the cover's misleading, and after reading the book, I have to say I had absolutely NO IDEA who the blazes these two people on the cover are, but they sure as hell aren't in the book. After some research I found they're the actors from the screen adaptation of this book, neither of which bear any resemblance to the book characters. At all. The male lead on the cover looks more intriguingly handsome to me than hideous, which is so disappointing, I'm giving away my copy of this book and replacing it with the beautiful hardcover, because I'll likely read this again.

Kyle Kingsbury is an arrogant douche bag finishing up his freshman year of high school as one of the most (if not the most) handsome, rich, and popular guys in his hoity-toity private school. All the girls love him, all the guys want to be him, and he knows this. He expects this. When he insults a witch in his class, she curses him to live in a body just as ugly as his heart. The next morning he's covered in fur and absolutely hideous, but because he commits one act of non-douche-ness before he turns to the beast, the witch gives him an out. If he can find someone he loves, who loves him in return, and who will kiss him before 2 years are up, his curse will lift. His dad contacts every doctor he can find to no avail. Not even a face transplant will help his son's beastly condition, and so his dad does what every arrogant, self-centered father would: he sends his son to live in a house on the outskirts of the city with nobody but the housekeeper and a blind tutor to keep him company. Plus his dad's credit card.

This was a fast-paced, heart-warming story I read in one night before bed. I did skim the prologue and indeed all but the final chatroom sections, because they skipped forward in time, and I didn't like the break in chronology of the story. They're unnecessary, as I loved the story without them. I love a story told from the villain's point of view, and I did fall in love with Kyle, who, though perfectly hateable, missed his mom and actually seemed vulnerable next to his horrible dad. I loved the evolution of Kyle. I loved the dynamic between him and his "beauty." I loved how the traditional tale intertwined with a modern setting. THERE'S SO MUCH TO LOVE! This was a tear-jerker for sure, though predictable at times. Also, the explanation for Beauty's absence from the Beast toward the end seemed flimsy to me. This author is good, and I felt she could've come up with something far more plausible than "I couldn't find your house."

This is a must-read for fans of Beauty and the Beast. The romance is sweet, the language is tame, and the violence is mild. This book is appropriate for ages 12 and up. ( )
  cmmccoy | May 23, 2017 |
This book was very intriguing and good to read. I could barely put it down. ( )
  lchs.mrso | May 22, 2017 |
It was clever of the author to weave elements of the original story into this modern retelling, like the white rose and the mirror.

A realistic yet magical book. ( )
  KendraJ. | Dec 29, 2016 |
Teens will LOL. They will also find their preoccupations with looks, status and pride explored thoroughly.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews

Flinn follows the fairy tale's original plot points closely, but falters in her depiction of the story's bad guys, over-the-top caricatures that simply ring false in her up-to-date setting.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

Beastly has romance, true love, tragic circumstances, magic, action adventure, and hope.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

A rare fairy-tale-inspired novel with equally strong appeal for boys and girls.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson

Alex Flinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Illingworth, SashaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

I am a beast.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:54 -0400)

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" from the point of view of the Beast, a vain Manhattan private school student who is turned into a monster and must find true love before he can return to his human form.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061963283, 0061998664

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,310,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible