Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Alex Flinn

Member:littleturtle82
Title:Beastly
Authors:Alex Flinn
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, ATOS Level 3.7, 580L, 3rd grade reading level, children, young adult

Beastly by Alex Flinn (2007)

English (246)  All (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (251)
I don't usually read YA but I enjoyed this reworking of Beauty and the Beast. The chat room pieces made me curious about the other characters. I was completely engrossed and read it in one sitting ( )
  Melayla | Oct 23, 2016 |
“Just because something is beautiful doesn´t mean it´s good.”

Upon first hearing about this book, I automatically assumed it would end up being your A-typical teenage, insta-love drama with some cute "Beauty and the Beast" spin...Boy was I ever wrong! And I am so thankful that I was!

thY6JFFB6S

So just for a disclaimer, this book was made into a movie! I was so excited upon hearing this news, that I immediately searched all over the internet until I finally found it on a very shady website that I had to create an account for and select a bunch of pics of waffles, just to prove I was not a robot. Well after 5mins of hard work and waiting, the movie finally starts. Can you say disaster? I literally did not get half way through it before turning it off. Never have I ever seen an adaption so butchered in all my life. So if you have seen this movie and seen how completely terrible and awful it was and that's the reason you haven't read this book, please don't let this stop you. This story is phenomenal and beautiful.

"In some countries when a man steals, they cut off his hand. If a man rapes, he is castrated. In this way the tools of the crime are removed from those who commit them."

Kyle is a beast. Although everything about his outward appearance screams beauty, inside his heart he is truly ugly. The story takes place over the course of 2yrs. in modern day NYC. Fourteen year old Kyle Kingsbury is the popular guy in school, known for his outstanding good looks, smooth tongue, extremely cocky attitude, and for being a ladies man. What most people don't know is his over achievements and vanity are stemmed from his attempts to cope with his mother's abandonment and his constant striving for his father's approval. When his cockiness causes him to play a prank on Kendra; an eccentric goth chick, who happens to be a witch, she decides to punish him by making him as ugly on the outside as he is inside. Turning him into a beast-like creature. Armed with a magical mirror, that allows him to see anyone, anywhere in the world, he has 2yrs. to find someone who can see past his hideous looks and love him purely for who he is on the inside and the spell will be broken. If not he will remain a beast forever.

Kyles father, who is a vain and wealthy t.v. anchorman, makes every attempt to cure his son from this ailment. But when it becomes clear that no amount of plastic surgery, money or treatment can cure Kyle, his father choses to lock him away in his own apartment.

Kyle Kingsbury has fallen off from the face of the Earth. Aside from his live in housekeeper and blind, live in tutor, Kyle has no contact with the outside world. He makes unlikely friends with both of them and begins to accept his life in solitude, and even begins to find hobbies such as reading classics and gardening. He changes his name to Adrian, and spends his days alone in his apartment or in his beloved rose garden.

Although he has accepted his destiny to remain beastly, he can't help but to constantly search for his former classmates through his magical mirror. There he stumbles across Lindy, a shy, smart girl, whom he never associated with because of his social status. He suddenly sees her in a different light and realizes what true beauty is.

“That's what true love should be like-the person should be part of your soul and you should know what they're feeling all the time.”

Lindy is a very reserved, scholarship student at the highly esteemed Tuttle academy. Although, book smart and seemingly simple, Lindy lives a troubled life in a poor neighborhood, with a drug addicted, negligent father.

Kyle, now Adrian, and Lindy's paths cross when fate intervenes. One night a burglar breaks into Adrian's apartment and ruins his rose garden, as luck would have it, Adrian recognizes the perpetrator as Lindy's father and immediately strikes a deal: Lindy comes to live with him and in exchange Adrian doesn't get the police involved. And her father accepts.

Upon her arrival Lindy is resentful and angered by both her father and Adrion, but over time her infuriation fades and through that her and Adrian form a friendship that blossoms into a beautiful love story. Showing that true beauty is not only skin deep, but is measured by what is in your soul.

This could easily be classified as my favorite book (aside from "Redeeming Love"). This book takes a classic, beloved tale and modernizes and transforms it in a way that is not only relatable to young readers but to all those who from any walk of life. There were times, while reading this book that my breath was literally taken away.

“Maybe we judge people too much by their looks because it's easier than seeing what's really important.”

We all know a Kyle Kingsbury. He was the popular guy in high school with the too high opinion of himself, the pretty cheerleader who wouldn't give you the time of day. He's the clique you just weren't cool enough to fit into. If we're all being perfectly honest with ourselves, he's you and he's me. There's a little piece of him in all of us, which makes him a perfectly relatable character. Lindy is smart and funny and is completely confident with who she is and what she wants out of life. I think they compliment each other so well. The transformation Adrian/Kyle makes from being arrogant and self-centered to a humble and caring human being is something we can all relate to in some way or another. This is the ultimate tale of coming into one's own and finding out who you are supposed to be.

Remarkable and beautifully written, this book hits the nail on the head! It was an absolute delight to read. I adored it!

“A beautiful thing is precious, no matter the price. Those who do not know how to see the precious things in life will never be happy...” ( )
  alliecollins8488 | Oct 8, 2016 |
A modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast, puts snobby, wealthy privileged teenager, Alex, in his place. A witch disgusted by his treatment of a fellow student turns him into a hairy beast. Of course, we know how the story ends, he finds that there is more to life than wealth and good looks. ( )
  brangwinn | Jul 7, 2016 |
Very sweet, modern Beauty and the Beast story. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Quick, fun, a nice reminder that the lessons of fairy-tales are relevant today. Be aware that the physical changes of the boy to beast are more dramatic in the book than in the movie. And that the book really isn't for middle schoolers or innocent teens, imo. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Teens will LOL. They will also find their preoccupations with looks, status and pride explored thoroughly.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews

Flinn follows the fairy tale's original plot points closely, but falters in her depiction of the story's bad guys, over-the-top caricatures that simply ring false in her up-to-date setting.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

Beastly has romance, true love, tragic circumstances, magic, action adventure, and hope.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

A rare fairy-tale-inspired novel with equally strong appeal for boys and girls.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson

Alex Flinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Illingworth, SashaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

I am a beast.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:54 -0400)

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" from the point of view of the Beast, a vain Manhattan private school student who is turned into a monster and must find true love before he can return to his human form.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061963283, 0061998664

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,734,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible