Beastly

Title:Beastly
Authors:
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned

Beastly by Alex Flinn (2007)

English (198)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (203)
Enjoy these "remakes". Well done - good for adults as well as young adults. Going to read the rest of author's remakes. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
2.5 stars
Loved the concept of the book -- mean, rich, materialistic teen boy gets what he deserves. Unfortunately, the execution was dull and uneventful, until the end. I found myself not connecting with the characters or caring much about them.
Enjoyed the little twist in the end, nice touch. I did find Kyle's dialogue a bit awkward when he was the beast. For example when he says "Especially for you, milady". Ok, not sure if I've ever heard any modern day teen say that phrase, beast or not. Also I found it hard to believe that he had truly changed on the inside.
I will put the second installment of this series on my to read list but am not in a hurry to find it. ( )
  ginger72 | Mar 12, 2014 |
A modern twist on the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale. The writing is average and the plot, romance are a bit forced to fit within the classic tale. The kidnapping is particularly problematic for me in a contemporary story. I do like its message of beauty is on the inside as well as its commentary or bullying. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 5, 2014 |
Told from the point of view of the beast, who starts as a handsome shallow high-school student who treats a fellow student very badly and is punished by being turned into a beast. He has a lot of money to throw at the problem so he retreats into a house, hires a blind teacher and gets on with it, going out only during the night when he can hide under a hood and in the dark and finds himself changing and becoming different. When a chance encounter brings a girl into the mix he finds that while she's not as beautiful as many of his former classmates, she is beautiful on the inside.

I liked this retelling and will be looking forward to more by this author, I liked how many of the classic elements were used to make the story more interesting. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 2, 2014 |
Em put this on my must-read list & I was interested because I love Beauty & the Beast retellings, but I felt this was pretty flat, both in plot and character, and I found that I didn't have a whole lot of reason to believe Adrian's inner transformation. I actually liked how closely it stuck to the traditional tale, but the whole time I wished I were reading McKinley's Beauty instead. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
Teens will LOL. They will also find their preoccupations with looks, status and pride explored thoroughly.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews

Flinn follows the fairy tale's original plot points closely, but falters in her depiction of the story's bad guys, over-the-top caricatures that simply ring false in her up-to-date setting.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

Beastly has romance, true love, tragic circumstances, magic, action adventure, and hope.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

A rare fairy-tale-inspired novel with equally strong appeal for boys and girls.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson

Alex Flinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group.

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

I am a beast.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:26 -0400)

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" from the point of view of the Beast, a vain Manhattan private school student who is turned into a monster and must find true love before he can return to his human form.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Two editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061963283, 0061998664

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,275,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible