The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

The Brass Verdict (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Michael Connelly

Member:vincent-fortsey
Title:The Brass Verdict
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:kindle

The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly (2008)

English (109)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (117)
This an outstanding follow-up to “The Lincoln Lawyer”, Connelly’s first Mickey Haller book. Following an injury in the first book, Mickey has become addicted to pain pills and after a year’s break from the legal profession and a stint through rehab he’s feeling strong enough to return to work. Mickey’s plan to start back slowly hits a snag when a friend and fellow defense attorney is murdered and Mickey inherits all his cases, from the smallest to the biggest – defending a Hollywood producer named Walter Elliot, who is accused of murdering his wife and her lover.

The thing I like about Haller is he is a man of contradictions. He’s slick in the courtroom and isn’t above a bit of slight-of-hand to facilitate the freedom of criminals who pay him to defend them. But Mickey does have ethics and (surprise!) a heart. His strict adherence to the ethics of his profession wins your respect. He takes a thief and fellow recovering addict named Patrick under his wing, engages in some legal finagling to get the charges against him dropped and even manages to retrieve a beloved surfboard for the guy. You just can’t help but admire and root for Mickey. Throw in a tough police detective trying to solve a murder (the much-loved character of Harry Bosch) and the fact that Mickey doesn’t realize the stubborn detective is his illegitimate half-brother and you have pretty much the perfect crime novel. But again, this IS Michael Connelly we’re talking about. Great book, and I look forward to more Haller books, as well as the next Bosch book. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
when street people make their own verdict. Lawyer out of rehab — inherits clients — Elliott rich movie mogul — killed wife + love — good twists + turns

Things are finally looking up for defense attorney Mickey Haller. After two years of wrong turns, Haller is back in the courtroom. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent's killer may be coming for him next.

christinejoseph | Jun 19, 2017 |
What can I say... I read this book in 3 days. I could not put it down. I love his character development, the way he moves through the plot, his humour, how he describes issues in the court system and even the red herring that lead the reader astray.

This book introduces Haller and Bosch together for the first time in either series and I am glad I read both series in order as there is some flash back.

A great read. ( )
  Lynxear | May 24, 2017 |
It was a page-turner. I would recommend it highly except for the coarse language. I must admit that I had no idea that it was part of a series. Actually two series - it's labeled as one of the Harry Bosch stories, but it was also another story about the Lincoln Lawyer.

I figured out the magic bullet from the second set of hints - before it was actually brought up in court. But I totally missed who it was that had all the inside information on the protagonist, and was pulling so many of the strings in the story. (I thought it was someone else, although I didn't want it to be him. Fortunately, my suspect was not at a high enough level to be the spider in the center of the web, and I was wrong to suspect him.)

A theme running through the book was the saying that everybody lies. But sometimes the lies get uncovered. And I learned that the term "brass verdict" was used by the cops to refer to a suspect that was killed in gang warfare before they could take the person to court.

I really liked the writing and will probably look for more by this author - there's a lot out there. I got this book from the little free library and will be returning it. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
A slow read, the plot was long and drawn out, and the action minimal at best. Never finished the book. ( )
  lewilliams | Oct 20, 2016 |
In memory of Terry Hansen and Frank Morgan
Everybody lies.

Bringing together Michael Connelly's two most popular characters, The Brass Verdict is sure to be his biggest book yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:22 -0400)

When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Mickey Haller (of "The Lincoln Lawyer" fame) inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent's killer may be coming for him next. Enter Harry Bosch. Determined to find Vincent's killer, he is not opposed to using Haller as bait. But as danger mounts and the stakes rise, these two loners realize their only choice is to work together.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,080,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible