The Sea Hawk (Author Unknown) by Rafael…

The Sea Hawk (Author Unknown) (1915)

by Rafael Sabatini

English (15)  French (2)  All languages (17)
Very well-told swashbuckling tale of the sea. ( )
1 vote TommyB | Oct 12, 2017 |
After a disjointed and heavy read by Victor Serge, it only made sense to immerse myself into an adventure-laden romance on the high seas. And who better to proffer that than Rafael Sabatini? Sure, other writers may be more artistic (Conrad), psychologically excoriating (Melville), or take an entire saga to rub the salt through to the bone (O’Brian), but none are as rip-roaring rousing as Sabatini. Though I enjoyed “Captain Blood” more and consider “Scaramouche” a near masterpiece, “The Sea-Hawk” kept me rocking on the waves in anticipation of the next sword strike. Incredibly well-researched—a constant in any work of his that I’ve read. But this time the research was so seamless that it wasn’t until I returned to the introduction that I’d realized just how much detailed study went into it (religion, history, geography). In “Scaramouche” that work was blazingly obvious, barely getting through two pages without translating French, learning how to pronounce Norman towns, or keeping up with the luminaries of the French Revolution.

And all the references to “poop” made my inner Kidd giggle: “poop-deck”, “poop’s forward end”, and my favorite “the gorgeous poop was fixed with a spacious cabin”. One paragraph on page 260 had three poops! My word, that’s a lot of shit. Hee hee hee aaaaarghhhee hee hee.

I’ll grow up eventually. Just not so much, I hope, that I can’t enjoy a fast-paced adventure such as those penned by the fluid and comprehensive Sabatini ( )
  ToddSherman | Aug 24, 2017 |
Will sell this book to anyone who asks.
Bleurgh.

EmBot | Jan 11, 2017 |
The Sea Hawk is a novel by Rafael Sabatini, originally published in 1915. The story is set over the years 1588–1593 and concerns a retired Cornish seafaring gentleman, Sir Oliver Tressilian, who is villainously betrayed by a jealous half-brother. After being forced to serve as a slave on a galley, Sir Oliver is liberated by Barbary pirates. He joins the pirates, gaining the name "Sakr-el-Bahr" (the hawk of the sea), and swears vengeance against his brother.
  dachda | Mar 18, 2016 |
Sir Oliver Tressilian is wronged by his half-brother, Lionel. Kidnapped, Oliver survives slavery at the oar of a Spanish ship and becomes a Muslim pirate. Feared and respected, Oliver becomes Sakr-El-Bahr. When an unexpected chance comes along for him to wreak vengeance upon Lionel, he sets out for England. However, in seeking to settle the score, he puts his own life in grave danger. ( )
  penelopemarzec | Jan 19, 2016 |
To Francis R Pryor, Who Sent me A-Sailing from Falmouth to the Coast of Barbary
Sir Oliver Tressilian sat at his ease in the lofty dining-room of the handsome house of Penarrow, which he owed to the enterprise of his father of lamented and lamentable memory and to the skill and invention of an Italian engineer named Bagnolo who had come to England half a century ago as one of the assistants of the famous Torrigiani.

Sir Oliver, a typical English gentleman, is accused of murder, kidnapped off the Cornish coast, and dragged into life as a Barbary corsair. However Sir Oliver rises to the challenge and proves a worthy hero for this much-admired novel. Religious conflict, melodrama, romance and intrigue combine to create a masterly and highly successful story, perhaps best known for its many film adaptations.

A masterpiece of historical fiction—and a ferociously gripping adventure tale.

Oliver Tressilian, a Cornish gentleman who helped defeat the Spanish Armada, is betrayed by his half-brother, throwing him into circumstances where he becomes a Barbary pirate and a follower of Islam.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:17 -0400)

When Queen Elizabeth I's navy struggles to keep Spain from taking control of the seas, privateer Geoffrey Thorpe, captain of the Sea Hawk, takes the opportunity to seize Spanish ships for his own profit as well as for the good of England.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100364, 1400110874

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,535,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible