Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale

Rapunzel's Revenge (2008)

by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale

Other authors: Nathan Hale (Illustrator)

Series: Rapunzel's Revenge (1)

UPDATE: I couldn't put the book down. It's a great retelling of Rapunzel. A must read AND there's a sequel, "Calamity Jack." Oh, yeah!
***

I bought this book for the kid as it was on the 2010 Amelia Bloomer list for 3rd-6th graders. But so far the book is awesome, but a bit dark. I'm going to read it before giving it to her. She empathizes with characters, so I'm just being cautious.

roniweb | May 30, 2019 |
Pretty good storyline. Very clever and imaginative. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
I "read" some of this to my niece the other day because it's the closest thing I have to a picture book. And by "read" I mean I made stuff up so we could get through it faster. But I caught enough of the actual story to make me want to read it on my own, and I really enjoyed it! When my niece is a little older perhaps I'll reintroduce her to this—it's got tons of girl power, which I'm sure she'll love. ( )
  AngelClaw | Mar 20, 2019 |
Really fun Rapunzel story. I liked the comic book style. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
This is a retelling of the original Rapunzel Fairy Tale. It is set in the wild west. When Rapunzel finds out the evil ways of her adopted mother, she sets out for revenge. ( )
  Mas119 | Nov 14, 2017 |

Hale, Shannonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, Deanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, NathanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Christine Hale, aka Mom, who, but for a lack of mile-long hair and spiteful imprisonment by a witch, could have been the hero of this story
—S.H. and D.H.

To Lindsay, Leigh, and Layna: three cowgirls, my sisters
—N.H.
Once upon a time, there was a beautiful little girl.
Do not mix up the 2008 graphic novel with the Attic Press collection from the early 1990s. These are two completely different books!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159990070X, Hardcover)

Once upon a time, in a land you only think you know, lived a little girl and her mother . . . or the woman she thought was her mother.

Every day, when the little girl played in her pretty garden, she grew more curious about what lay on the other side of the garden wall . . . a rather enormous garden wall.

And every year, as she grew older, things seemed weirder and weirder, until the day she finally climbed to the top of the wall and looked over into the mines and desert beyond.

Newbery Honor-winning author Shannon Hale teams up with husband Dean Hale and brilliant artist Nathan Hale (no relation) to bring readers a swashbuckling and hilarious twist on the classic story as you’ve never seen it before. Watch as Rapunzel and her amazing hair team up with Jack (of beanstalk fame) to gallop around the wild and western landscape, changing lives, righting wrongs, and bringing joy to every soul they encounter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:55 -0400)

Rapunzel is raised in a grand villa surrounded by towering walls. Rapunzel dreams of a different mother than Gothel, the woman she calls Mother. She climbs over the wall and finds out the truth. Her real mother, Kate, is a slave in Gothel's gold mine. In this Old West retelling, Rapunzel uses her hair as a lasso and to take on outlaws--including Gothel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible