dismiss

Rapunzel's Revenge (2008)

by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale

Other authors: Nathan Hale (Illustrator)

Series: Rapunzel's Revenge (1)

Rapunzel is raised in a grand villa surrounded by towering walls. Rapunzel dreams of a different mother than Gothel, the woman she calls Mother. She climbs over the wall and finds out the truth. Her real mother, Kate, is a slave in Gothel's gold mine. In this Old West retelling, Rapunzel uses her hair as a lasso and to take on outlaws--including Gothel.… (more)

#OWLsreadathon2019 Ancient Runes - Retelling. More info: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-wc72whn4 ( )
  Bryna_Heaton | Jun 19, 2020 |
Entertaining Western-theme of cracked fairy tales, primarily focusing on Rapunzel. I liked it! Although I think it dragged on a little bit too long. But there was plenty of entertainment to be had in the references to various other fairy tales, and the ways they were mashed together and overturned. ( )
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
This is another fairy-tale retelling from Newbery winner Shannon Hale but this time, it is in a graphic novel format and is co-written by Dean Hale (her husband), and illustrated by Nathan Hale (no relation).

I loved it. Basically, Rapunzel is no longer a girl trapped in a tower waiting for her prince to arrive, she is a courageous, self-confident young cowgirl of the wild west armed with her fabled tresses which double as lassos. She is accompanied on her adventures by a lilly-livered varmint named Jack (who has a pet goose!). The story is a true comic book: fast-paced, action-packed, and hilarious. Rapunzel and Jack are a great duo and I think boys as well as girls would enjoy this story.

As I told a friend of mine recently, I really love graphic novels, and no matter how bad they are, I tend to like them, but this one I think really was good. I can't wait for the sequel. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
This is a fun twist on the traditional Rapunzel story. In this Wild West version, Rapunzel escapes from the tower on her own and is determined to make her way back to Mother Gothel's home so she can free her real mother. Along the way she uses her long hair as a weapon to fight evil and save the day! A fun graphic novel version of a classic story that most kids will be familiar with. ( )
  slindsay | Jul 18, 2019 |
For most of her childhood, Rapunzel lives a life of luxury with her mother, Mother Gothel–only she mustn’t ever look over the massive “garden wall” surrounding her home, she mustn’t question her mother, and she mustn’t mention her odd memory-like dreams. But on her twelfth birthday, Rapunzel just can’t contain herself anymore. She uses her impressive lasso skills (taught her by one of Mother Gothel’s guards, a kind man by the name of Mason) to climb the wall–only to find a world of desolation and slavery, which she soon finds is controlled by her mother . . . or, well, the person she thought was her mother. It turns out, she was taken from her real mother when she was just a little kid, and her actual mother is a slave in the mines now. In an attempt to control Rapunzel, Mother Gothel has her imprisoned in a tall tree that she’s created with her growth magic. But Rapunzel’s not one to sit demurely waiting for a rescuer, nor is she one to leave her real family in trouble.

I’ve seen some pretty interesting retellings before, but Rapunzel’s Revenge has got to be one of the most interesting and frankly bizarre to come my way in quite some time. It’s a western fantasy/weird west remix of the tale, complete with deserts, lassos, and outlaws–but with magic, too! And it’s not just a straight-up Rapunzel retelling, either; you’ve got Jack and the Beanstalk, for sure, and certain elements from a handful of other classic fairy tales. It’s pretty crazy, really, but in an interesting way. Rapunzel is an excellent example of the modernized empowered “princess,” a girl who’s smart and determined and takes matters into her own hands. Stubborn and kind of awkward, too, with enough personality to make her a sympathetic character, not just a modern stereotype. Her friend Jack makes a nice counterpart, with both of them challenging each other, forcing character growth and revealing character traits to the reader. As for the plot itself, it’s mostly a big rescue journey/adventure from the point where Rapunzel rescues herself and meets Jack–and it’s at this point that the western elements really start to show. It wasn’t the greatest plot ever, but a solid middle-grade story, still, plus a creative outtake on the whole retelling thing. The art is honestly not my style, but it works well enough for the story and I don’t have anything objectively negative to say about it–it’s just not what I prefer for graphic novels personally. I’m not sure I’d recommend Rapunzel’s Revenge for everyone, but if you like graphic novels and are interested in a quirky retelling with a strong female lead, it’s a story you just might enjoy. ( )
  Honyasbookshelf | Jul 18, 2019 |

Hale, Shannonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, Deanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, NathanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Christine Hale, aka Mom, who, but for a lack of mile-long hair and spiteful imprisonment by a witch, could have been the hero of this story
—S.H. and D.H.

To Lindsay, Leigh, and Layna: three cowgirls, my sisters
—N.H.
Once upon a time, there was a beautiful little girl.
Do not mix up the 2008 graphic novel with the Attic Press collection from the early 1990s. These are two completely different books!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,909,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible