Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale

Rapunzel's Revenge (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Shannon Hale (Author), Dean Hale, Nathan Hale (Illustrator)

Series: Rapunzel (1)

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Rapunzel's Revenge
Authors:Shannon Hale (Author)
Other authors:Dean Hale, Nathan Hale (Illustrator)
Info:New York, N.Y. : Bloomsbury, 2008.
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Cover maybe done
Rating:***1/2
Tags:GN, Fic, @ReadFrom:LibraryAF, __check_cover

Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale (2008)

several in system - check graphic novels on separate shelves
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
WHOA, Punzie!!! Oft described as a "feminist fairy tale", I didn't read Rapunzel's Revenge for that reason. What caught my eye was the book cover .. INCREDIBLE illustrations (throughout) by Nathan Hale (no relation to the authors, Shannon and Dean Hale). I *LOVED* this graphic novel . . I'm a newbie insofar as the genre is concerned and, to this point, Rapunzel's Revenge is a graphic novel that totally engaged my imagination, the visual aspect of my brain and held my interest from page one until the very end!! It's a book I'll not soon forget!! Highly, HIGHLY recommended! Wheeeee!! What a fun adventure!

[Note: My start dates are skewed . . dunno why. I started reading this graphic novel on December 14, 2014 . . perhaps my insomnia-riddled brain isn't tracking start-dates correctly due to lack of sleep!!] ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
A rip-roarin' yarn with plenty of hair-raising (literally) action to take readers away. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book has a western take on the classic fairy tale, Rapunzel. I would use it with upper elementary and middle school students. I would use it to compare and contrast characters, settings and problem/solution with other versions of Rapunzel.
  JenniferNapoleon | Jan 23, 2016 |
In this graphic novel treatment of the fairy tale the heroine is not the sweet little princess pining away in her ivory tower waiting for a prince to set her free. This Rapunzel is a feisty, kick-butt gal who has been imprisoned by the evil Gothel who kidnapped Rapunzel when she was a small child. During an afternoon's adventure Rapunzel scales the castle walls to see what lies on the other side. What she finds is a dreary dusty landscape and a population of slaves that work Gothel's mines. Miraculously one of the slaves is Rapunzel's real mother and the two have a touching but short-lived reunion. When Gothel finds out that Rapunzel knows the truth she locks the girl in a magic tree house. After four years Rapunzel's hair has grown to amazing lengths and using it as a lasso to snag a nearby tree she escapes her tower. She soon joins forces with the disreputable Jack (the beanstalk guy) and the two travel what seems to be the Wild West hiring themselves out as 'heroes'.

The book is beautifully drawn and very witty at times. Graphic novels are a new genre to me and I haven't quite yet become enamored of them but I'm willing to try some more.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |

Hale, Shannonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, Deanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, NathanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Christine Hale, aka Mom, who, but for a lack of mile-long hair and spiteful imprisonment by a witch, could have been the hero of this story
—S.H. and D.H.

To Lindsay, Leigh, and Layna: three cowgirls, my sisters
—N.H.
Once upon a time, there was a beautiful little girl.
Do not mix up the 2008 graphic novel with the Attic Press collection from the early 1990s. These are two completely different books!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159990070X, Hardcover)

Once upon a time, in a land you only think you know, lived a little girl and her mother . . . or the woman she thought was her mother.

Every day, when the little girl played in her pretty garden, she grew more curious about what lay on the other side of the garden wall . . . a rather enormous garden wall.

And every year, as she grew older, things seemed weirder and weirder, until the day she finally climbed to the top of the wall and looked over into the mines and desert beyond.

Newbery Honor-winning author Shannon Hale teams up with husband Dean Hale and brilliant artist Nathan Hale (no relation) to bring readers a swashbuckling and hilarious twist on the classic story as you’ve never seen it before. Watch as Rapunzel and her amazing hair team up with Jack (of beanstalk fame) to gallop around the wild and western landscape, changing lives, righting wrongs, and bringing joy to every soul they encounter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:55 -0400)

Rapunzel is raised in a grand villa surrounded by towering walls. Rapunzel dreams of a different mother than Gothel, the woman she calls Mother. She climbs over the wall and finds out the truth. Her real mother, Kate, is a slave in Gothel's gold mine. In this Old West retelling, Rapunzel uses her hair as a lasso and to take on outlaws--including Gothel.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,637,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible