Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit (Bloomsbury…

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit (Bloomsbury Classics) (original 1985; edition 1991)

by Jeanette Winterson

4,466901,097 (3.76)1 / 383
Title:Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit (Bloomsbury Classics)
Authors:Jeanette Winterson
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (1991), Hardcover
Tags:gay fiction

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson (1985)

Recently added byprivate library, alanteder, Wicker, Dr.RTC, leselotte, Jenloo82, e-zReader, crowem, mikeinna
    Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson (Anonymous user, Tinker_Books)
    Tinker_Books: Independent twin Novel to Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson.
    Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell (bertilak)
    A Clergyman's Daughter by George Orwell (WilliamQuill)
    WilliamQuill: For similar treatment of lost faith by a young girl.
    My Fundamentalist Education: A Memoir of a Divine Girlhood by Christine Rosen (bertilak)

English (88)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (90)
At times hilarious, at other times unbearably sad, this story of a young lesbian's strange and painful upbringing in an evangelical community in 60's England is a quick but thought-provoking read.

Most troubling for me was the knowledge that this book is set in the 1960s but there are still young people today who are subjected to the same kind of unconscionable mistreatment by people who claim to love them. Repeatedly I found myself thinking "this kind of ignorance couldn't happen today," then having to remind myself that sadly, yes it can. ( )
  darushawehm | Oct 24, 2015 |
I'm rereading this while I wait for Winterson's memoir "Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal" to come in at the library. Good grief, it's even better than I remembered -- and this isn't the first time I've reread it. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
A short -- and, as I understand it, at least semi-autobiographical -- novel about a girl who is raised by an obsessively religious mother in a strict evangelical church. It's an upbringing she embraces, until her awakening sexuality puts her at odds with it. Or, rather, puts it at odds with her.

It's an interesting novel, because it's primarily a fairly straightforward story about growing up. But the narrative is interspersed with lyrical philosophical musings and snippets of fairy tales. The significance of some of these is beautifully clear, while others feel to me as if they must have deeper meanings I don't fully comprehend. All of it, however, is well-written and thoughtful, and has, for all its strangeness, a certain feeling of emotional truth. ( )
  bragan | May 9, 2015 |
It's been a decade since I read this book, so while the details are fuzzy, my overall impression remains strong. A lesbian coming of age in a Pentecostal community, my memory is that the story deals intricately with its characters, and resisting the urge to paint anyone with too broad a brush. Definitely a book worth returning to. ( )
  jscape2000 | Apr 30, 2015 |
Jeanette Winterson's novel, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit is a semi-autobiographical tale of her experiences growing up in a evangelical Christian home under the direction of her fanatical mother, who believes her daughter is destined to be a missionary. Related with grace and a wry witty charm, Winterson paints childhood anecdotes such as scaring the other children at her school with her grim religious art projects (not to mention alarming the teachers), the ongoing battle her mother has with the neighbors next door, and her own growing realization that her true self and her mother's church cannot co-exist peacefully.

It would be easy to paint her church as evil or renounce them completely, but Winterson gives them the dignity that a child brought up believing in something has, and still clearly struggles with her own love and faith when it has seemingly betrayed you. Her mother at one point revises history - paints her white roses red, and insists they grew that way - and Winterson's pang of betrayal echo that of her first love renouncing her feelings and the church's own belief that she is possessed and has been given too much power that should go to the men of the church.

Interspersed with parables, fairy tales, and passages that are evocative of so many fire-and-brimstone sermons, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit is a thoughtful, moving, insightful, and often very funny, coming-of-age story. ( )
1 vote kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
Narratively, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit is built on a particular irony - a contradiction in which it takes some sly delight....The novel may be a story of self-liberation for a secular age, but it recalls a traditional sense that a person's story is made significant by reference to the Bible. Why should any individual's story matter, after all? Because it follows the pattern of God-given precept and God-directed narrative. All the early heroes and heroines of the English novel - Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, Richardson's Pamela and Clarissa - make sense of their peculiar lives by reference to the Bible

Jeanette Wintersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lammers, GeertjeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattila, RaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'When thick rinds are used the top must be thoroughly skimmed, or a scum will form marring the final appearance.'
The Making of Marmalade by Mrs Beeton.
'Oranges are not the only fruit.'
-- Nell Gwynn
For Gill Saunders and Fang the cat
Like most people I lived for a long time with my mother and father. My father liked to watch the wrestling, my mother liked to wrestle; it didn't matter what. She was in the white corner and that was that.
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit was written during the winter of 1983 and the spring of 1984. (Introduction)
Everyone thinks their own situation most tragic. I am no exception.
Going back after a long time will make you mad, because the people you left behind do not like to think of you changed, will treat you as they always did, accuse you of being indifferent, when you are only different.
Of course that is not the whole story, but that is the way with stories; we make them what we will. It's a way of explaining the universe while leaving the universe unexplained, it's a way of keeping it all alive, not boxing it into time. Everyone who tells a story tells it differently, just to remind us that everybody sees it differently.
She was Old Testament through and through. Not for her the meek and paschal Lamb, she was out there, up front with the prophets, and much given to sulking under trees when the appropriate destruction didn't materialise. Quite often it did, her will or the Lord's I can't say.
I didn't know quite what fornicating was, but I had read about it in Deuteronomy, and I knew it was a sin. But why was it so noisy? Most sins you did quietly so as not to get caught.

Winner of the Whitbread Prize for best first fiction, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit is a coming-out novel from Winterson, the acclaimed author of The Passion and Sexing the Cherry. The narrator, Jeanette, cuts her teeth on the knowledge that she is one of God’s elect, but as this budding evangelical comes of age, and comes to terms with her preference for her own sex, the peculiar balance of her God-fearing household crumbles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The coming-of-age story of Jess, the adopted daughter of a deeply religious woman, who grows up isolated and insulated in the north of England in the 1960's. Jess meets Melanie, and the two teenagers fall in love, greatly upsetting Jess's mother and her congregation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,893,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible