Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Roddy Doyle (Author)

Patrick Clarke is a ten-year-old boy trying to make sense of his world. He is confused. His Ma and Da fight too much. School seems like a joke. And love, though it has a good reputation, seems pretty cruel. Paddy sees everything, but has trouble understanding it all. His story is an exuberant romp through the triumphs, indignities, and troublemaking detours of an Irish childhood. Written with warmth and wit by the author of The Commitments, which was made into a hit movie, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha is the most moving story about the humor and challenge of growing up since Catcher in the Rye.… (more)
Member:kevinpars
Title:Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
Authors:Roddy Doyle (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (1995), Edition: 4th, 288 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle (1993)

Recently added byHeistaanzee83, BMDuggan, jcoyte, private library, lavergne_rsl, djl1964, TateTito, JElliott-Smith
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (60)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (64)
In publishing terms, I am a relative newcomer to Roddy Doyle (if you don’t count the film of The Commitments) and having read his more recent books, I have been looking forward to catching up with his 1993 Booker Prize Winning Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (Vintage) for a long time. His ability to articulate how the world looks from the point of view of a 10 year old is remarkable and, being Roddy Doyle, he could write about anything and captivate me. I was lucky enough to go and see the play of his talking heads book Two Pints in Newcastle a couple of years ago and he really has a remarkable ear for dialogue and a gift for reproducing it on the page. ( )
  davidroche | Jul 1, 2020 |
I wanted to love this book. However, I wonder if the child narrator perspective, well received when this was written has since been done to death. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it better if I had read it twenty years ago.
Paddy Clarke is one of a group of young larrikins in Barrytown, Ireland. The book recounts their childhood exploits, misdemeanors, episodes of bullying and childish pranks against all and sundry with humour and pathos. The reader along with Paddy witnesses the gradual dissolution of his parents marriage.
They really were a bunch of tearaways and I would doubt that their behaviour would be tolerated in contemporary society but then they had little to entertain them. ( )
  HelenBaker | Oct 21, 2019 |
Disjointed and meandering tale of an Irish boy in the mid-1960s.

Mostly he hangs out with his buddies, stealing things, setting fires, and tormenting his younger brother. There's a slow-developing subplot about the disintegration of his parents' marriage and his trying to cope with the event.

Booker prize winner, which should have warned me. I don't know their criteria, but am generally disappointed with their choices. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
Why would you want to read a book that frames every adventurous episode in a childhood in a parents awareness of the danger instead of a child's feeling of power and magic? Patrick may relate the rather destructive romps through the suburbs developing around his, but the narrative never gets within his feeling of them, but retains an adult tone that forces the adult reader away from any fellow feeling arising from similar episodes. Patrick's brother has withdrawn for him and his awareness is overwhelmed by his parent's constant, singular, unresolving disagreement. ( )
  quondame | Sep 22, 2018 |
Doyle depicts the childhood adventures of Patrick "Paddy" Clarke, a ten-year-old living in the Dublin suburbs. As most boys, he gets into his share of mischief. He hangs out with a group of male friends. We come to know the boys, their parents, their teachers, and even the priest in the course of the novel. The writing style is unconventional, but critics liked it well enough to award it the Booker Prize. No chapters can be found although white space between certain episodes give the readers an opportunity for a break. While I really didn't care for the "brats" or their language at times, it does provide a great snapshot of Irish life in the 1960s. ( )
  thornton37814 | Sep 14, 2018 |
This must be one of the truest and funniest presentations of juvenile experience in any recent literature.
The novel's boldest feature is its infantile style of narrative.
Roddy Doyle's book has already dead-legged the assumption that grown-ups are more interesting. To borrow the formula: 'It was sad and brilliant; I liked it.'
added by sneuper | editThe Independent, Mick Imlah (Jun 13, 1993)

Roddy Doyleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moppes, Rob vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Rory
We were coming down our road. Kevin stopped at a gate and bashed it with a stick. It was Missis Quigley's gate; she was always looking out the window but she never did anything.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,613,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible