Paddy Clarke hähhähhää…

Paddy Clarke hähhähhää (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Roddy Doyle, Leena Tamminen ((KääNt.))

Member:bluewind
Title:Paddy Clarke hähhähhää
Authors:Roddy Doyle
Other authors:Leena Tamminen ((KääNt.))
Info:Porvoo Helsinki Juva WSOY 1994.
Rating:***1/2

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle (1993)

Recently added byDCL54, Junopolis, thukpa, CydMelcher, orangemonster, bundi68
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (49)  Romanian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
Fun book about growing up told in the vernacular. Not sure I "got" all the regional references, but they were not essential to the story. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
In this novel 10-year-old Paddy Clarke tells us about his life in Ireland in the 1960s. He and his friends are responsible for a lot of mischief around their small town. Paddy's younger brother also tags along most of the time. Meanwhile, Paddy notices a lot of changes are happening in his life, from the families moving into the new houses the corporation has built to the arguments his parents have that keep increasing in frequency and intensity. As the back of the book says, Paddy sees everything, but understands less and less.

I had to give this book 5 stars because it's just so well written and such a good portrait of an era in Ireland. There's no real plot, just a series of short episodes in Paddy's life that don't necessarily seem to connect to each other. He was growing up in a simpler time when it was normal for parents to let their children run all over without supervision, and some of the things that the boys of the town got up to are quite entertaining. However, I didn't enjoy reading this as much as I would have liked because the end of the book gets more sinister and harder to read. This is part of what makes the book so good, but it does make it less enjoyable. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I loved being inside the brain of a ten-year-old boy back in the day when boys (and girls) roamed freely. In many ways it was horrifying. Often it showed the cruelty of children, or perhaps a better way to describe it is the innocence of children that manifests itself in socially unacceptable ways. Paddy Clarke and his suffering family was very real to me. ( )
  creynolds | Jun 4, 2015 |
One of my very favorite books of all time...I wish I could give it more than 5 stars!!! Spectacular. ( )
  annwieland | Sep 26, 2014 |
An enjoyable read about suburban Dublin in the late 60s. The main character is a 10 year old Paddy Clarke; we see the then Dublin, the working class family and local community through his eyes. Written with a lot of humour and honesty, but also has some more violent moments (boys beating up each other and abusing neighbour's dog), but I guess it's just the reality in a life of a little boy. I absolutely loved the dialogue in this book and the insight into family relations in Ireland. The book had some slower parts, but all in all it was a good read. ( )
  justine28 | Jun 14, 2014 |
This must be one of the truest and funniest presentations of juvenile experience in any recent literature.
The novel's boldest feature is its infantile style of narrative.
Roddy Doyle's book has already dead-legged the assumption that grown-ups are more interesting. To borrow the formula: 'It was sad and brilliant; I liked it.'
added by sneuper | editThe Independent, Mick Imlah (Jun 13, 1993)

Roddy Doyleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moppes, Rob vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Rory
We were coming down our road. Kevin stopped at a gate and bashed it with a stick. It was Missis Quigley's gate; she was always looking out the window but she never did anything.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140233903, Paperback)

In Roddy Doyle's Booker Prize-winning novel Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, an Irish lad named Paddy rampages through the streets of Barrytown with a pack of like-minded hooligans, playing cowboys and Indians, etching their names in wet concrete, and setting fires. Roddy Doyle has captured the sensations and speech patterns of preadolescents with consummate skill, and managed to do so without resorting to sentimentality. Paddy Clarke and his friends are not bad boys; they're just a little bit restless. They're always taking sides, bullying each other, and secretly wishing they didn't have to. All they want is for something--anything--to happen.

Throughout the novel, Paddy teeters on the nervous verge of adolescence. In one scene, Paddy tries to make his little brother's hot water bottle explode, but gives up after stomping on it just one time: "I jumped on Sinbad's bottle. Nothing happened. I didn't do it again. Sometimes when nothing happened it was really getting ready to happen." Paddy Clarke senses that his world is about to change forever--and not necessarily for the better. When he realizes that his parents' marriage is falling apart, Paddy stays up all night listening, half-believing that his vigil will ward off further fighting. It doesn't work, but it is sweet and sad that he believes it might. Paddy's logic may be fuzzy, but his heart is in the right place. --Jill Marquis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

In this national bestseller and winner of the Booker Prize, Roddy Doyle, author of the "BarrytownTrilogy," takes us to a new level of emotional richness with the story of ten-year-old Padraic Clarke.Witty and poignant--and adored by critics and readers alike--Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha charts thetrumphs, indignities, and bewilderment of Paddy as he tries to make sense of his changing world. Annotation. In this national bestseller and winner of the Booker Prize, Roddy Doyle, author of the "Barrytown Trilogy", takes us to a new level of emotional richness with the story of ten-year-old Padraic Clarke. Witty and poignant--and adored by critics and readers alike--Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha charts the trumphs, indignities, and bewilderment of Paddy as he tries to make sense of his changing world.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,194,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible