The Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo

The Jigsaw Man (edition 2008)

by Gord Rollo

Member:jseger9000
Title:The Jigsaw Man
Authors:Gord Rollo
Info:Leisure (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:Horror, Leisure

The Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo

Recently added byprivate library, AspieNerdGirl, audiobibliophile, GordRollo

My full Jigsaw Man audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

When it comes down to it, Jigsaw Man is simply a story about fear, cowardice, and overcoming them to dispense revenge. That will assault your emotions with it’s heart wrenching cruelty and explicit goriness. Gord Rollo was able to capture my full attention and toss my mind around until I thought I couldn’t take any more and start all over again.

This is a story about a coward named Michael Fox. To me he is a coward because he has let various fears turn his life upside down only to end up as a nameless homeless name. He is unwilling to face his fear that it was his fault his family died. He cannot face is surviving daughter based on the fear the she blames him for their death. All of this fear leads him to do what many do in these situations, drink and drink heavily, use any substance available to flatten or diminish these emotions from coming to the surface.

Soon he has taken all he can from his self inflicted inner turmoil and decides to end it all. Right before he could accomplish this he is approached by a mysterious stranger. Who offers him two million ($2,000,000) dollars for his right arm. Being a left handed person Mike thought this sounded like a perfect opportunity to turn his life around and to provide for his daughter.

Up until this point the book was disturbing yes but compared to what’s left it was very tame.

Mike soon finds that he is not the only one to be recruited for body parts, others are selling their left arm and both legs. Leading him to believe that there is more going on than meets the eye. I cannot divulge too much more without giving critical information away.

Jigsaw Man might be the horror novel that for whatever reason you pass by. Don’t let this happen to you. I would have never guessed that I was going to like this adventure a into truly sick and twisted disturbingly refreshing modern reinventing of the old classic Frankenstein’s Monster. That made my soul feel dirty and awkward for enjoying such a brutal and unsettling tale.

Michael Ray Davis doesn’t have the type of voice you would expect from and audio performer. Not at all a polished commanding voice. But a very unique deep gravely “redneck” type voice. Which happens to lend itself very well to a man that drinks Sterno and has had a very hard life.

Audiobook provided for review by the narrator. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jul 16, 2014 |
this book was not what I expected at all, that's not a bad thing though. I loved it! the mix of comically bizarre situations and truly horrifying situations reminded me of Jeff stand. if this book had been given a "wanted add" title it could have been Andrew mayhem number five. it was gory, it was funny, it was really messed up in parts but it was also well written with great characters and hard to put down. ( )
  justin.eaton.35 | Feb 5, 2014 |
This was a strong full-length novel debut, and how cool that he wrote it in the second person! Great gory and disgusting moments, original and strong. ( )
  ARBraun7 | Jul 20, 2013 |
"The Jigsaw Man" is author Gord Rollo's modern-day version of Frankenstein, but with a "heart". The book revolves around a billionaire doctor's attempt to make his crippled son "whole" by using arms and legs from donors who exchange their limbs for dollars. One of those donors is a down-on-his-luck drifter by the name of Michael Fox who attempts to repair his failed role as father by providing his daughter with the $2 million dollars he'll receive from Dr. Nathan Marshall for his right arm.

Deep down, Fox believes the deal is too good to believe, but after agreeing to it and then seeing Marshall's facility (and crippled son), he's ready for the tradeoff. As the date of the operation arrives, Fox finds out that Marshall's plan may not be as steeped in honor as he originally thought and tries to back out of the deal. Fox quickly finds out that it's too late for that and realizes that he could be losing more than just an arm.

Rollo cranks up the suspense and the horror as the novel moves along at a brisk pace. Not for the squeamish, those diving into this book should be prepared for moments of true gore and shock. Rollo gets a little carried away at times the moments of gore and borders on the fringe of gratuitousness. But, I do challenge readers not to pull hard for Fox and his friends as they battle for their very existence.

While I wouldn't exactly give my right arm to read another book by Gord Rollo, I'll certainly have my eyes peeled for it. ( )
  coachtim30 | Jun 22, 2013 |
Where to start. The plot is original, and most of the characters are quite unsavory. A play on the Frankenstein story, but much more twisted and really just plain sick. I mean, there is a scene where the character Drake is sodomizing a severed head that is being kept alive with experimental science, while menacingly holding a knife to the victim's eyes. That is twisted, really. There are scores of scenes such as this. I was not crazy about the timeline jumps; I felt like there must have been some important information missed when the story would just appear 13 months later. All in all, I found this to be a highly entertaining read, with some over-the-top characters that made one dance with glee when they finally met their end. I give this 4 stars simply because the plot was just more imaginative than anything I have read in quite a while. Hopefully, Mr. Rollo's future work will be a little more structured, because some of the characters could have used some further fleshing out; many times I found myself wanting more back story on certain characters. While this may not have been the most polished writing I have read, the story itself kept me glued to the pages. ( )
  Archivist13 | May 12, 2013 |

A BROKEN MAN DOWN ON HIS LUCK…

Michael Fox is a homeless man living in a garbage dumpster beneath the Carver Street Bridge in Buffalo, NY. He’s bitterly depressed and ready to commit suicide; anything to put an end to his miserable existence.

AN OFFER TOO GOOD TO REFUSE…

When a mysterious billionaire surgeon offers Michael two million dollars for his right arm, he thinks his luck might be about to change. Little does he know that the surgeon has other plans for him. His arm is only the beginning. Bit by bit other pieces of Michael's body are surgically removed; his natural body stripped away and then reassembled using other harvested parts from thirteen different ‘donors’.

A MODERN DAY FRANKENSTEIN…

Now Fox isn’t sure if he’s a man or a monster, or whether or not he’d be better off dead. One thing he is sure of though, he’s not checking out of this world until he finds a way to make the people responsible pay for turning him into the experimental nightmare known as… The Jigsaw Man.

Gord Rollo is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,281,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible