Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand

Waking the Moon (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Elizabeth Hand

Member:stephxsu
Title:Waking the Moon
Authors:Elizabeth Hand
Info:Eos (1996), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Did Not Finish, e-book
Rating:**
Tags:young adult, new adult, urban fantasy, college, angels

Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand (1995)

English (10)  Dutch (1)  English (11)
Not quite sure why I gave a full four stars as I have no plans to re-read this anytime soon, other than the book enthralled me much like Sweeney with Angelica. There was quite a lot of stage setting, and it took me nearly five days to read just 125 pages, but after that I couldn't put the book down. The worldbuilding and scholarship came across as believable and informed; however, my personal knowledge of the actual subject matter is limited so I was probably the easiest type of reader to convince. I wish I would've bookmarked the lines and passages that really stood out; there were several that stopped me in my tracks and I had to re-read them multiple times they were so beautifully written and evocative. The ending, though, not great. Especially from the feminist perspective. Oh well. I'm glad I finally read Waking the Moon yet I admit to being slightly underwhelmed.

4 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Aug 16, 2016 |
So conflicted about this book. There was much I loved about it and much that started to be just *too much* as I worked my way through it. I couldn't put it down but at times getting through it was hard. It is mostly that there was too much woo-woo for me - for others this book will be a wonderful engrossing read. ( )
  Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |
Waking the Moon is an incredibly engaging read. It is filled to the brim with Gothery and myth and mystery. I am a very big fan of dark and creepy novels, and it has been a long time since I have found anything as worthy of my reading time as this book.

The story centers on Katherine Sweeney Cassidy, who moves to DC to attend the University of the Archangels and St. John the Divine. In the midst of what you would consider her normal college experiences, such as falling in love with her two best friends and drinking and experimenting with various substances, she comes across a secret organization called the Benandanti, who secretly control everything in our world. After Katherine’s best friend Angelica receives a necklace from a former Benandanti member, we begin to see what it is the Benandanti are so afraid of.

I completely devoured this book. I found it to be very well written, and those dark angels and mind bending hallucination scenes really took me for a ride. I will certainly be recommending this book to everyone. So, why did I only give it 4 stars?

Possible Spoilers Ahead:
Honestly, I found myself slightly let down when it came to what I felt was the point of the novel. So women have been abused, used, raped, and treated as the lesser sex for ages. You bring up the possibility of a Goddess who wants to take her world back and smash this patriarchal system that has been in place. And let me tell you, I was excited and loving it. I didn’t think it would end with the Goddess taking complete control, because we were shown the problems arising from that situation, but I felt that something in the world would change at the end of this story. And how was it wrapped up? Well, let me just say, it wasn’t. It all stayed the same. Why couldn’t we find a middle ground between the evil matriarchy and evil patriarchy? In the end it totally felt like we were left with this idea that OMG females are scary and bad and no way should we give them any kind of power. Not cool. Not cool at all.

"I'll love you next time. I promise" ( )
1 vote raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |
An interesting premise with lots of potential, but outdated in its clunky writing style: a covered-wagonful of telling-not-showing and detracting details for the sake of hyperrealism. The mystical element was interesting but bordered on cheap cinematics. But this was okay for me basically up until the MC meets her two "amazing" and "wonderful" and "smart" and "beautiful" and "mysteeeeerious" friends in class, who give off a Twilight series-esque sense of too-perfect-to-be-real-ness. It was shortly after this point that I stopped, when I realized that I was probably not the intended audience for this tale.

(D'ya like all the words and phrases I made up in this review?) ( )
  stephxsu | Dec 31, 2012 |
The story begins with a group of college freshmen at Washington D.C.'s University of the Archangels and St. John the Divine where an ancient order called the Benandanti are headquartered. It immediately becomes evident that the mysterious Benandanti maintain a far-reaching control of most of society and that they are recruiting amongst the students. But when a member of the order finds a mysterious archaeological treasure and passes it onto a student, she unleashes the ancient moon goddess onto the world.

The story is complex and spans over twenty years, but it never drags or becomes overwhelming. The writing style is reminiscent of Stephen King at times, delivering some pretty good scares while spinning a web of mystery that ensnares the reader completely. I found the book captivating, exciting, and engrossing. ( )
  skyebadger | Oct 31, 2012 |

Elizabeth Handprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mydlowski,GeneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
C.P. Cavafy, "In the Evening," translated by Rae Dalven
If all those young men were like hares on the mountain
Then all those pretty maidens would get guns, go a-hunting.

If all those young men were like fish in the water
Then all those pretty maidens would soon follow after.

If all those young men were like rushes a-growing
Then all those pretty maidens would get scythes, go a-mowing.

—Maying Song
For Oscar John Long,
friend and voyager
with all my love
They never found her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061054437, Mass Market Paperback)

Steeped in the explosive passion and seductive power of Anne Rice, this novel is an unforgettable tale of modern love and ancient ritual. Within the imposing towers ofWashington, D.C.'s University of the Archangels and St. John the Divine, a clandestine order prevails. The Benandanti has secretly manipulated every government, every church, every institution in the world since antiquity. But now the Moon Goddess has returned. And she wants her world back.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:12 -0400)

Two women compete to be moon goddess and rule the world. The setting is the department of magic, witchcraft and religion at a Washington university. Its normal-looking faculty staff and students are in fact leading members of the world's dark powers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,721,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible