When the Tripods came by John Christopher

When the Tripods came (original 1988; edition 2013)

by John Christopher

7071921,140 (3.46)30
Fourteen-year-old Laurie and his family attempt to flee England when the Tripods descend from outer space and begin brainwashing everyone with their hypnotic Caps.
Member:arborschool
Title:When the Tripods came
Authors:John Christopher
Info:London : RHCP Digital, 2013.

When the Tripods Came by John Christopher (1988)

Recently added byCCJones72, private library, Lcsone, SueJ1, thinkvirginia, rwmgwish, arborschool, sindalf, lesindy

This was the prequel to the Tripods trilogy which tells the story of the Tripods invasion of Earth and the beginnings of the first cell of resistance in the White Mountains. There was a 20 year difference between the publishing of this and the final book in the original series, and I think that gap showed a lot in John Christopher's writing for the better. My two biggest complaints with the trilogy had been that it was told primarily in summary rather than scene and that there were next to no female characters (none at all after the first book). This book at least attempted to rectify both problems. Though still not perfect, this book told a lot more of its story in scene and was therefore easier to get into. Also, there were several female characters, both secondary and tertiary. It felt as though the author had realized his mistake in not including women at all before, as he did mention "the men and women fighting against the Tripods" in this book. At the end, the main character also mentioned that girls seemed more difficult to convince and recruit than boys, which I think the author included simply to give himself an excuse for not including girls in the trilogy, though considering one of the original group's first ever recruits was female, this felt hard to believe.

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing the invasion of the Tripods in person rather than just hearing about it in vague description, and I definitely recommend that anyone who enjoyed the original series read this, as well. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
With this prequel to 'The Tripods Trilogy' written twenty years later, John Christopher tries to rectify some of the issues apparent in the post-conquest world he'd created.

First of all, we have a girl on the cover, which is a good start. Unfortunately, Christopher is tied to the world as he originally wrote it. The kid sister, the step mom, and the grandmothers ultimately have little to do with the creation of the resistance movement.

In the England of the "present-day" we have Laurie and his friend Andy on a camping trip not far from their homes. They witness the arrival of one of the first tripods. Two others land in the U.S. and in the Soviet Union. All of the tripods are quickly dispatched, but tripod or "trippy" fever hits the world after a TV series debuts and the theme song become popular on the radio. It's evident that its not your average craze. The takeover, consisting as it did of mass conversion of the population, was swift and terrifying, and Laurie's uncertainty and fear were well expressed. Much like Will, he's a whiner, but with only one book to expand, he doesn't have the chance to be boring.

Laurie's grandmother is a strong-minded woman and is instrumental in his family's success, but Christopher emphasizes Laurie's father's transformation during the crisis over everything else. Of course, this is stressed as resulting from concern over his wife, daughter and mother. Laurie is also carefully given a girl of his own to pine after, all the more precious because girls rarely join the freedom movement because they're too sissy to take the risk. That is all well and good Mr Christopher, but I've seen how this all turns out in a hundred years or so. Free men will discard their beards long before they do away with the tripods. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Enjoyable young adult prequel to the original Tripods Trilogy which I enjoyed as a teenager - my copy is very well read. I think it probably works best if (like me) you leave plenty of time (years) between reading it and the originals as then it's not too irritating that essentially you know the plot already. Nice to see it all in detail and my only main irritation is the lack of YA girls in the story - it was a bit of a jolt when I suddenly twigged the narrator was a boy. ( )
  lnr_blair | Jan 15, 2018 |
perfect prequel to the original Tripod Trilogy ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This is the prequel to the Tripods Trilogy. The title is self-explanatory - a young boy tells his story about the coming of the Tripods and his family's attempts to escape their grasp. I have not yet read the trilogy, but I have seen the TV series and this book answered a lot of questions. It is a fast-paced and gripping read. I read it all in one go as I did not want to put it down. ( )
  nebula21 | Aug 11, 2015 |
"The book is frighteningly convincing as it shows the gradual takeover of Earth by the Tripods"
"This book makes a fine addition to the Tripods trilogy, and can be read either before or after the other books. The series is one of the better introductions to SF available for young readers."
added by RBeffa | editAboriginal Science Fiction, Janice M. Eisen (Mar 1, 1991)

John Christopherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burleson, JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Finelle, DominickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my many grandchildren with love
An explosion of noise woke me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,688,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible