When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne

When We Were Very Young (edition 1992)

by A. A. Milne, Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Member:quillmenow
Title:When We Were Very Young
Authors:A. A. Milne
Other authors:Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1992), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 112 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:hardcover, children's literature, poetry

When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne

age 3-5, Pierce College Library
  SWong4512 | May 28, 2014 |
When We Were Very Young is a book of poetry by the author of the Winnie the Pooh books. My personal favorite is "Puppy and I" because I like the idea of following the puppy up the hill to roll and play. The book has a lot of enjoyable imagery like that, but I am not sure if it will be easily understood by modern American children. It is very British and old-fashioned in its language. ( )
  aleader | Apr 4, 2014 |
This book was filled with poems detailed with friendly characters who stumble through the ups and downs of childhood. A.A. Milne does a wonderful job at illustrating even small life events as meaningful and memorable. I would recommend this book to children to read on their own and families to read together. Although the language is somewhat old fashion, I still think that young children can enjoy this book. The delicate pictures are suiting for such an elegant book of children's poems. ( )
  natalienichols | Mar 17, 2014 |
When we were very young, my parents gave me When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six, and gave my brother the two books of Pooh stories. I felt at the time that he got the more interesting books, but I did like "Buckingham Palace." ( )
  antiquary | Sep 9, 2013 |
Summary: A collection of about 44 different types of poems and uses different rhyming patterns. This collection of poems is how the author viewed his own child experiencing the world for the first time.

Personal Reaction: This collection of poetry really captured what it’s like to be young and experiencing the world. I also enjoyed how the illustrations flowed with the poetry as well.

Classroom extension:

1) Have the students draw a short story line of their favorite poem from the book

2) Going along with the theme of being young, have the students create their own poem about something new they experienced. ( )
  RosieBillings | Apr 24, 2013 |

A. A. Milneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, Ernest H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Christopher Robin Milne or as he prefers to call himself, Billy Moon, this book which owes so much to him is now humbly offered.
Just Before We Begin
At one time (but I have changed my mind now) I thought I was going to write a little Note at the top of each of these poems, in the manner of Mr. William Wordsworth, who liked to tell his readers where he was staying, and which of his friends he was walking with, and what he was thinking about, when the idea of writing his poem came to him.
Down by the corner of the street
Where the three roads meet,
And the feet
Of the people as they pass go "Tweet-tweet-tweet-"
Who comes tripping round the corner of the street?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140361235, Paperback)

In all likelihood, your mother or father read you these poems and remember their parents reading the same. This collection of poetry by the creator of Winnie the Pooh was first published in 1924. With its companion volume Now We Are Six, the little books became two of the biggest bestsellers in publishing history. Children all over the world have heard about changing the guard at Buckingham Palace; James James Morrison Morrison Weather by George Dupree; the three little foxes who kept their handkerchiefs in cardboard boxes; and, of course, Christopher Robin, named for A.A. Milne's son. Adults and older children will enjoy Milne's poems too, as some of his humor is subtly directed at a more sophisticated audience. But younger children are the ones who love the naughty Mary Jane (lovely rice pudding again?) and the bears on the corners of London's streets. Read these poems aloud and pass along (or start) a family tradition. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:23 -0400)

A collection of poems reflecting the experiences of a little English boy growing up in the early part of the twentieth century.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,162,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible