When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne

When We Were Very Young (edition 1992)

by A. A. Milne, Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Title:When We Were Very Young
Authors:A. A. Milne
Other authors:Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1992), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:hardcover, children's literature, poetry

When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne

I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't like this book as much as the others in the series. The poems were still fun and some of them made me smile, but I didn't like it as much as the first two. I would still recommend it to those that want to read the series though. 3.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
Summary: This is a collection of poems by the famous author who brought to life Winnie-the-Pooh. He originally wrote these poems as well as the story for his son, Christopher Robin, and soon it became the bedtime story for many other children as well.

Personal Reaction: I have always loved the character Winnie-the-Pooh, and subjected my parents to the torture of watching the movie over and over again. I was intrigued to read his poetry and was not disappointed.

1) I would read to the children some of the stories of Winnie-the-Pooh to expose them to more of Milne's writing.
2) I would have the children watch the movie to bring the story to life for them.
  Jenna.McMillen | Apr 21, 2016 |
Illustrated by Ernest H Shepard

This was Milne’s first book for children, originally published in 1924. He was inspired by his young son, Christopher Robin, and the verses are sometimes silly, sometimes touching, and always enjoyable. Shepard’s illustrations are a perfect accompaniment, chronicling Christopher’s interactions with shopkeepers, nanny, horses, rabbits, and one particularly stout bear.

I was particularly delighted to read this poem on a snowy March day …
She wore her yellow sun-bonnet,
She wore her greenest gown;
She turned to the south wind
And curtsied up and down.
She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbor:
“Winter is dead.”

I can only hope … but at least this little poem put some sunshine in my heart.

P.S. Somehow Goodreads has this work listed as “Winnie the Pooh series # 3” … yet it was the first published work, and Pooh isn’t mentioned at all – at least not by name.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I love Winnie the Pooh so I figured I'd love this one! A sweet story that would be great to share with younger readers.
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |

This book is a book full of small poems. Poems about happiness, growing up, water- lilies, foxes, zoos, kings and queens, and so much more. My favorite poem in the book was “The Christening”. It is a poem about a boy and his new pet mouse. More specifically what the young boy is going to name him.

I love poetry so much. I used to write little poems just for fun, since I have gotten over I haven’t done it as much because of how busy I always am. I really enjoyed reading a book full of silly little poems. Reading the poems made me feel like a kid again. It also made me realize when I have some free time I should write little poems again.

I could give the students a paper with words that rhyme. They would have to match two words together that rhymed until all the words were paired together.

I could find words that rhymed, write them on note cards, put them in a hat and have each student draw a card from the hat. They would then have to go around the room and find another student with a word that rhymed with theirs.
  A_Kolinski | Jul 22, 2015 |

A. A. Milneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, Ernest H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Christopher Robin Milne or as he prefers to call himself, Billy Moon, this book which owes so much to him is now humbly offered.
Just Before We Begin
At one time (but I have changed my mind now) I thought I was going to write a little Note at the top of each of these poems, in the manner of Mr. William Wordsworth, who liked to tell his readers where he was staying, and which of his friends he was walking with, and what he was thinking about, when the idea of writing his poem came to him.
Down by the corner of the street
Where the three roads meet,
And the feet
Of the people as they pass go "Tweet-tweet-tweet-"
Who comes tripping round the corner of the street?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140361235, Paperback)

In all likelihood, your mother or father read you these poems and remember their parents reading the same. This collection of poetry by the creator of Winnie the Pooh was first published in 1924. With its companion volume Now We Are Six, the little books became two of the biggest bestsellers in publishing history. Children all over the world have heard about changing the guard at Buckingham Palace; James James Morrison Morrison Weather by George Dupree; the three little foxes who kept their handkerchiefs in cardboard boxes; and, of course, Christopher Robin, named for A.A. Milne's son. Adults and older children will enjoy Milne's poems too, as some of his humor is subtly directed at a more sophisticated audience. But younger children are the ones who love the naughty Mary Jane (lovely rice pudding again?) and the bears on the corners of London's streets. Read these poems aloud and pass along (or start) a family tradition. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:14 -0400)

A collection of poems reflecting the experiences of a little English boy growing up in the early part of the twentieth century.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,709,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible