When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne

When We Were Very Young (edition 1992)

by A. A. Milne, Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Member:quillmenow
Title:When We Were Very Young
Authors:A. A. Milne
Other authors:Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1992), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 112 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:hardcover, children's literature, poetry

When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne

Summary

This book is a book full of small poems. Poems about happiness, growing up, water- lilies, foxes, zoos, kings and queens, and so much more. My favorite poem in the book was “The Christening”. It is a poem about a boy and his new pet mouse. More specifically what the young boy is going to name him.

Connection

I love poetry so much. I used to write little poems just for fun, since I have gotten over I haven’t done it as much because of how busy I always am. I really enjoyed reading a book full of silly little poems. Reading the poems made me feel like a kid again. It also made me realize when I have some free time I should write little poems again.

Extensions

I could give the students a paper with words that rhyme. They would have to match two words together that rhymed until all the words were paired together.

I could find words that rhymed, write them on note cards, put them in a hat and have each student draw a card from the hat. They would then have to go around the room and find another student with a word that rhymed with theirs.
  A_Kolinski | Jul 22, 2015 |
This sweet book includes a collection of poems by Milne, who is better known for his Winnie the Pooh books. It’s a great one to share with kids. The illustrations were my favorite part. They’re beautiful and added so much to each page.

BOTTOM LINE: A must for a child’s library. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 19, 2015 |
Aah, so tender! ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
poetry ( )
  tmr273 | Apr 16, 2015 |
This is the first of the four books pertaining to Winnie-The-Pooh, by A.A. Milne who does a great job with all of the books in terms of carrying out the apparent theme of friendship throughout. "When We Were Very Young" is a collection of poems that can stand independent of each other, that relate to Milne's son Christopher Robin, and his adventures as he grows up. The poems have a musical flow to them, and the illustrations by Shepard beautifully paint each page to complement the poems. Very adorable books recommended for early readers.
  zahammou | Dec 9, 2014 |

A. A. Milneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, Ernest H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Christopher Robin Milne or as he prefers to call himself, Billy Moon, this book which owes so much to him is now humbly offered.
Just Before We Begin
At one time (but I have changed my mind now) I thought I was going to write a little Note at the top of each of these poems, in the manner of Mr. William Wordsworth, who liked to tell his readers where he was staying, and which of his friends he was walking with, and what he was thinking about, when the idea of writing his poem came to him.
Down by the corner of the street
Where the three roads meet,
And the feet
Of the people as they pass go "Tweet-tweet-tweet-"
Who comes tripping round the corner of the street?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140361235, Paperback)

In all likelihood, your mother or father read you these poems and remember their parents reading the same. This collection of poetry by the creator of Winnie the Pooh was first published in 1924. With its companion volume Now We Are Six, the little books became two of the biggest bestsellers in publishing history. Children all over the world have heard about changing the guard at Buckingham Palace; James James Morrison Morrison Weather by George Dupree; the three little foxes who kept their handkerchiefs in cardboard boxes; and, of course, Christopher Robin, named for A.A. Milne's son. Adults and older children will enjoy Milne's poems too, as some of his humor is subtly directed at a more sophisticated audience. But younger children are the ones who love the naughty Mary Jane (lovely rice pudding again?) and the bears on the corners of London's streets. Read these poems aloud and pass along (or start) a family tradition. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:14 -0400)

A collection of poems reflecting the experiences of a little English boy growing up in the early part of the twentieth century.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,998,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible