Bad Love by Jonathan Kellerman

Bad Love

by Jonathan Kellerman

Series: Alex Delaware series (8)

English (12)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return address Ė a tape recording of a horrifying, soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a childlike voice delivering the enigmatic and haunting message: 'Bad love. Bad love. Don't give me the bad love√ā¬Ö' For child psychologist Dr Alex Delaware, the chant, repeated over and over like a twisted nursery rhyme, is the first intimation that he is about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon follow: disquieting laughter echoing over a phone line that suddenly goes dead, a chilling trespass outside his home, a sickening act of vandalism. A carefully orchestrated campaign of vague threats and intimidation rapidly builds to a crescendo as harassment turns to terror, mischief to madness. Searching his memory for the phrase 'bad love', Alex recalls a symposium he attended over a decade ago commemorating the work of Dr Andres de Bosch who ran a clinic for troubled adolescents. But when he tries to contact the other delegates, Alex discovers a seemingly random series of violent deaths amongst them. As he delves deeper into the history of the clinic, the escalating pattern of violence becomes inescapably clear. And if Alex fails to decipher the twisted logic of the stalker's mind-games, he will be the next one to die.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Though I've enjoyed many of the Alex Delaware books this is one of my favorites and so far the creepiest one I've read perhaps because the threat is directly against Alex and not a result of his police work. Having said that the plot is both rather convoluted and contrived but unusual enough to still be a good book. ( )
  ElspethReads | May 13, 2013 |
The book is a thriller. It is well written, only I thought the story was a bit strange. Why torment a psychologist when the offender actually deserves it?
Okay, Alex should have noticed things during the treatment he gave, but still.

I think this is the least of the books I've read by Kellerman. I'm not sure I'll read one of his books from this series again, I think Alex Delaware is a bit done, judging from this book.

Still, it is a quick and easy read for those who love the genre :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 12, 2013 |
One day woman police's acquaintance is killed.
So she starts to look for true criminal.

I could not under stand criminal’s motive.
So I did not feel refreshed.
I felt this story was not satisfactory. ( )
  maiko123 | Jan 4, 2011 |
Seemed a little bit of a stretch that so much effort would be given to what was such circumstantial connections. I cannot remember why the eventual perps would have warned Delaware with the tape. ( )
  Darrol | May 3, 2010 |

Jonathan Kellermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snel, Mari√ęllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter Rachel.
Brains, beauty, grace, wit, style.
And a heart of gold.
Special thanks to Sheriff's Deputy Kurt Ebert.
It came in a plain brown wrapper.

It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return  address--an audiocassette recording of a horrifying,  soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a  childlike voice chanting: "Bad love. Bad love.  Don't give me the bad love... ". For Alex  Delaware the tape is the first intimation that he is  about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon  follow: disquieting laughter echoing over a phone  line that suddenly goes dead, a chilling act of  trespass and vandalism. He has become the target of a  carefully orchestrated campaign of vague threats  and intimidation rapidly building to a crescendo as  harassment turns to terror, mischief to madness.  With the help of his friend LAPD detective Milo  Sturgis, Alex uncovers a series of violent deaths  that may follow a diabolical pattern. And if he fails  to decipher the twisted logic of the stalker's  mind games, Alex will be the next to die. Taut,  penetrating, terrifying, Bad Love is  vintage Kellerman.

Also available on BDD Audio Cassette.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:40 -0400)

It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return address - an audiocassette recording of a horrifying, soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a childlike voice delivering the enigmatic and haunting message:. "Bad love. Bad love. Don't give me the bad love ... " For Alex Delaware, the chant, repeated over and over like a twisted nursery rhyme, is the first intimation that he is about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon follow: disquieting laughter echoing over a phone line that suddenly goes dead, a chilling trespass outside his home in the middle of the night, a sickening act of vandalism. He has becoine the target of a carefully orchestrated campaign of vague threats and intimidation rapidly building to a crescendo as harassment turns to terror, mischief to madness. Searching his memory for the phrase "bad love," Alex recalls a symposium he attended over a decade ago commemorating the work of Dr. Andres de Bosch, the celebrated child psychologist who ran a clinic for troubled adolescents. With the help of his friend LAPD detective Milo Sturgis, Alex discovers a seemingly random series of violent deaths - a hit-and-run, a "suicidal" leap from a high rise, and a brutal mutilation-murder - that may somehow be related to de Bosch. As he delves deeper into the history of the clinic, the escalating pattern of violence becomes inescapably clear. And if Alex fails to decipher the twisted logic of the stalker's mind games, he will be the next to die. Taut, penetrating, terrifying, Bad Love is vintage Kellerman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible