Bad Love by Jonathan Kellerman

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:read in 2008, series

Bad Love by Jonathan Kellerman

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
I received this book in a "Blind Date with a Book" promotion at the library at the college where I work.

I had immediate reservations when I found myself with a book from the middle of a long-running series by an author I have never read. Bad Love is the eighth of nearly thirty Alex Delaware mysteries. Fortunately, the cast of recurring characters was small: Delaware, his girlfriend and his friend on the police force. They were skillfully introduced and came off as quite likeable.

The best character in the book, however, is the stray dog Delaware takes in early in the tale.

The plot revolves around a serial killer stalking anyone who was ever associated with a certain child psychiatrist who touted a good love/bad love theory of child rearing. Unfortunately for our hero, that fellow was the subject of a seminar Delaware was forced by hospital politics to host twenty years ago.
Delaware goes on the move as he tries to stay ahead of the killer, warn other potential victims and figure out the killer’s identity. After an engaging start, the plot meanders as Delaware himself wanders up and down the California coast and on a side trip to New York to talk to people. A lot of people. A lot of talking.

By the time the killer was revealed, I had to page back through the book to remind myself of the character’s previous appearance. At least the book ended with some action, and the dog gets to play a part.

In terms of a blind date, it would be a nice dinner followed by a conversation over drinks or coffee that went on a bit long and revealed my date to be not quite as interesting as I first thought. I might ask her out again to see if that initial spark can be fanned into something more, but probably not.
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return address--an audiocassette recording of a horrifying, soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a childlike voice chanting: "Bad love. Bad love. Don't give me the bad love... ". For Alex Delaware the tape is the first intimation that he is about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon follow: disquieting laughter echoing over a phone line that suddenly goes dead, a chilling act of trespass and vandalism. He has become the target of a carefully orchestrated campaign of vague threats and intimidation rapidly building to a crescendo as harassment turns to terror, mischief to madness. With the help of his friend LAPD detective Milo Sturgis, Alex uncovers a series of violent deaths that may follow a diabolical pattern. And if he fails to decipher the twisted logic of the stalker's mind games, Alex will be the next to die. Taut, penetrating, terrifying, Bad Love is vintage Kellerman.
  JESGalway | Apr 19, 2018 |
This is the 3rd novel that I have read by Jonathan Kellerman. It is part of a series driven by the work of LAPD homicide detective Milo Sturgis and Dr. Alex Delaware, LAPD consulting psychologist. It appears that there has been another two (2) year interval prior to reading another title in this series. I enjoyed it but Alex's relationship with Robin Castagna doesn't ring true to life for me. Wonder how long it will take me to try another by this author. My 2-year interval of reading a novel in this series has been strictly by chance. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
Ridiculous. Alex had exactly one patient during the entire novel...two little girls who disappeared 1/4 of the way into the story. And the denouement comprised about the last 1/4 of the novel....yawn. A child psychologist must be a very cushy job according to Alex Delaware's practice....no patients! Just spend all day driving around and eating a restaurants. Boo. Don't know if I'll read another AD novel, I have several on my bookshelf that I found at flea markets.....I'm very hesitant after this debacle. ( )
  ko40370 | Jan 16, 2016 |
It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return address a tape recording of a horrifying, soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a childlike voice delivering the enigmatic and haunting message: 'Bad love. Bad love. Don't give me the bad love…' For child psychologist Dr Alex Delaware, the chant, repeated over and over like a twisted nursery rhyme, is the first intimation that he is about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon follow: disquieting laughter echoing over a phone line that suddenly goes dead, a chilling trespass outside his home, a sickening act of vandalism. A carefully orchestrated campaign of vague threats and intimidation rapidly builds to a crescendo as harassment turns to terror, mischief to madness. Searching his memory for the phrase 'bad love', Alex recalls a symposium he attended over a decade ago commemorating the work of Dr Andres de Bosch who ran a clinic for troubled adolescents. But when he tries to contact the other delegates, Alex discovers a seemingly random series of violent deaths amongst them. As he delves deeper into the history of the clinic, the escalating pattern of violence becomes inescapably clear. And if Alex fails to decipher the twisted logic of the stalker's mind-games, he will be the next one to die.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

Jonathan Kellermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Snel, MariëllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter Rachel.
Brains, beauty, grace, wit, style.
And a heart of gold.
Special thanks to Sheriff's Deputy Kurt Ebert.
It came in a plain brown wrapper.

It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return  address--an audiocassette recording of a horrifying,  soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a  childlike voice chanting: "Bad love. Bad love.  Don't give me the bad love... ". For Alex  Delaware the tape is the first intimation that he is  about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon  follow: disquieting laughter echoing over a phone  line that suddenly goes dead, a chilling act of  trespass and vandalism. He has become the target of a  carefully orchestrated campaign of vague threats  and intimidation rapidly building to a crescendo as  harassment turns to terror, mischief to madness.  With the help of his friend LAPD detective Milo  Sturgis, Alex uncovers a series of violent deaths  that may follow a diabolical pattern. And if he fails  to decipher the twisted logic of the stalker's  mind games, Alex will be the next to die. Taut,  penetrating, terrifying, Bad Love is  vintage Kellerman.

Also available on BDD Audio Cassette.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

"Strapped for cash, Luke Sunday takes a job as a scout for the army's war against the Sioux. Raised by the Cheyenne and Crow, he runs afoul of the army when they attack a peaceful Cheyenne village, believing it to be Sioux leader Sitting Bull's camp. When he accuses them of wrongdoing, the outlaw Bill Bogart leads the charge to oust him from the campaign. Set adrift, he happens upon the Freemans, who need a guide to the Gallatin Valley. When they meet the sinister-looking Sunday, they're hesitant to hire him. But when Mr. Freeman is killed in a Sioux attack and the reckless Bogart shows up, Mrs. Freeman must put her trust in the man called Sunday"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,681,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible