Sexing the Cherry: A Novel by Jeanette…

Sexing the Cherry: A Novel (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Jeanette Winterson

Title:Sexing the Cherry: A Novel
Authors:Jeanette Winterson
Info:Atlantic Monthly Pr (1990), Edition: 1st Atlantic Monthly Press ed, Hardcover

Sexing the Cherry by Jeanette Winterson (1989)

This short book packs a lot in, we have the mythic figure of the dog woman, we find out what happened to all those dancing princesses, there is a little history of exploration and exotic fruit and it's all quite strange and wonderful. Not a word is spare and it's very vividly described. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Nov 7, 2015 |
I should start off by saying that I really detest magical realism, but I love the way that Jeanette Winterson writes. So three stars is pretty high praise for her novel "Sexing the Cherry" since it is filled with the magical realism I hate so much.

There are a lot of interesting bits in this short novel -- the 12 dancing princesses and lack of a linear timeline. Winterson has an amazing way of using words sparingly to paint a really rich and vivid picture.

I'm not sure the elements of the story came together for me overall. I admit I expected a lot out of this novel since I liked "Oranges Aren't the Only Fruit" so much. In this instance, I really feel it was just the case that this book in particular wasn't up my alley. ( )
  amerynth | Apr 17, 2015 |
This book is a hard one for me to rate and review. There were parts of the book that I thought were very well done both in writing and in cleverness. But maybe because I'm writing this review and it's been a month since I finished the book, I just have a vague impression of it being enjoyable but not earth shattering. ( )
  jmoncton | Jul 7, 2014 |
The first words that cone to mind after reading this book are strange and weird. I have struggled reading this book, I couldn't really follow what it was all about. And even after I stopped trying to understand, it did not really get any easier.
Too much strangeness in such a small book I guess.

Maybe I'll try a translation, if there is one, to get the t's crossed and the i's dotted. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 29, 2014 |
This was an interesting, imaginative book that takes place in England at the time of the English Civil War, & centers around Jordan & his mother, who is nameless except for being called the Dog Woman. He was found by the river, & that's what she names him for, the River Jordan. Jordan has flights of fancy that take him to different places, as he travels with John Tradescant, the King's Gardener, around the world in search of rare & exotic plants. The point of view switches back & forth between Jordan, his adventures, the tales he spins, & his mother's more down to earth adventures of murder & mayhem in London. Somewhere along the line, the linear time seems to blur, & time has no meaning.

At only 167 pages, I finished in well under 24 hours, making it a fast, easy, fun read :) ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
''Sexing the Cherry'' fuses history, fairy tale and metafiction into a fruit that's rather crisp, not terribly sweet, but of a memorably startling flavor.

Jeanette Wintersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lammers, GeertjeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Hopi, an Indian tribe, have a language as sophisticated as ours, but no tenses for past present and future. The division does not exist. What does this say about time?

Matter, that thing the most solid and the well-known, which you are holding in your hands and which makes up your body, is now known to be mostly empty space. Empty space and points of light. What does this say about the reality of the world?
For Melanie Adams

My thanks are due to Don and Ruth Rendell, whose hospitality gave me the space to work. To all at Bloomsbury, especially Liz Calder and Caroline Michel. And to Pat Kavanagh for her continual support.
My name is Jordan.

In a fantastic world that is and is not seventeenth-century England, a baby is found floating in the Thames. The child, Jordan, is rescued by Dog Woman and grows up to travel the world like Gulliver, though he finds that the world’s most curious oddities come from his own mind. Winterson leads the reader from discussions on the nature of time to Jordan’s fascination with journeys concealed within other journeys, all with a dizzying speed that shoots the reader from epiphany to shimmering epiphany.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

An imaginative tour de force exploring history, imagination and the nature of time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible