Death Qualified by Kate Wilhelm

Death Qualified (1991)

by Kate Wilhelm

Series: Barbara Holloway Novels (1)

311935,843 (3.55)18

I like Kate Wilhelm's mysteries. Her characters are so real as to make me want to find the next book right away. The mysterious project that is a focal point of this book was never described very well. I'm not sure what the scientists were striving to achieve or what powers were obtained by those that were able to make progress with "the discs" other than "they laughed". Kind of a cliffhanger of an ending. I'm not sure it will be resolved in the next book, but I'm ready to find out. ( )
  njcur | Jun 17, 2014 |
Interesting storyline and characters. Kept me reading to the end, although I scanned over bits with duplicate recounting of char. actions and too much back story or description. When these got in the way of my following the plot, I scanned. ( )
  JoAnnSmithAinsworth | May 7, 2012 |
Although the author has won awards, I was bored during the first 20 pages so I stopped reading.
  JoAnnSmithAinsworth | Jun 3, 2011 |
Substance: A credible mystery, with some science thrown in, but the story did not depend on the scientific elements per se. Chracters were OK. Some of the set-up was implausible, but not enough to derail the essential story of detection and character.
Style: Straight-forward, with literary phraseology. ( )
1 vote librisissimo | Dec 9, 2010 |
Interesting characters but I wasn't into the "Chaos Theory". The court room part was interesting. This is the first book in the Barbara Holloway series. ( )
  cmcardell | Aug 21, 2009 |

Wilhelm, Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Does the flap of a butterfly's wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas? Edward N. Lorenz
For Julie A. Stevens, with appreciation and affection.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449221555, Mass Market Paperback)

"A book not about ideas but about the impact of ideas...The ending, which I found both surprising and believable, makes good on all her promises."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW
Barbara had given up the law five years before, but she's still "death qualified," still able to defend clients in Oregon who face the death penalty if convicted. And now her lawyer father needs her back in the arena to defend Nell Kendricks, who's been indicted for the murder of her estranged husband, Lucas Kendricks.
But did she do it? After not seeing him for seven years? And where was Lucas all that time? Ultimately, the small-town courtroom is where the truth can be found--if one can spot it through the blinding maelstrom of injustice, confusion, chaos, reality, and love....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:06 -0400)

Barbara Holloway left a promising legal career defending clients against murder charges when she became disgusted with the system. One call from her father brings her back into the courtroom and into a maelstrom of injustice and confusion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible