Il libro del riso e dell'oblio by Milan…

Il libro del riso e dell'oblio (original 1978; edition 1978)

by Milan Kundera

Member:sbonzix
Title:Il libro del riso e dell'oblio
Authors:Milan Kundera
Info:Bompiani (1992), Paperback, 239 pages
Tags:fiction, Finished

The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera (1978)

English (42)  French (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (50)
A chaotic and self-indulgent blend of fiction, history, politics, eroticism, absurdity. The first vignette was the highlight of the book for me: I've read the book twice and that was all I remembered from one reading to the next. I won't read it again.

(There's more on my blog here.) ( )
  LizoksBooks | Dec 15, 2018 |
Es complicado hacer una crítica acerca de una novela (o algo mucho más que eso) de Milan Kundera. Principalmente, porque se trata de un trabajo muy íntimo, muy especial y hasta personal. Da la impresión, incluso, de que invadimos su propia vida al hacernos con sus palabras. Palabras escritas con la hermosura de un maestro de la literatura.

El libro de la risa y el olvido trata sobre muchos temas, pero nunca sobre la risa o sobre el olvido. Porque la risa, aquí, aparece tintada de amargura y de tristeza. Porque cuando Kundera nos escribe sobre la risa, tan solo sabe hablar de risas falsas, o risas grises, tan grises que duelen. Y, en cuanto al olvido, el olvido no existe para Kundera, porque el olvido está lleno de recuerdos.

Tamira, el personaje principal, recueda muchísimo a Teresa (su personaje femenino protagonista de La insoportable levedad del ser). Bajo la misma permisa que sufría Teresa, Tamira (vaya, si hasta tienen nombres similares), también vive fuera de su país, víctima del exilio, y trabaja allí como camarera. Sufre la muerte de su marido, que Kundera aprovecha para hablar de la muerte de su propio padre con dulzura y dolor. La muerte, en sí, es un tema recurrente en esta obra de Kundera.

Hermosa, en el propio y estricto sentido de la palabra, refiriéndose a la hermosura literaria, he disfrutado enormemente de sus páginas, careciendo de medios propios para criticarla de modo alguno. Tal vez no soy imparcial con Milan Kundera, pero escribe las novelas que yo siempre he deseado leer. ( )
  MiriamBeizana | Dec 3, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. I want to read it again from the beginning and take down all the really deep, insightful quotes. It's a sad book, and very, very sexually strange. Not what I would usually go for but the Book Club was reading it. I feel like I broadened my literary horizon by reading this. ( )
  Sally1645 | Dec 25, 2017 |
  Sally1645 | Dec 25, 2017 |
How laughing and remembering help us transcend the wretched. Also, about how forgetting only enables us to repeat the same mistakes over and over again. A bit of Czech history that should help us see that in order to break through we must first face "the dark side" in ourselves. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Milan Kunderaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Asher, AaronTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In February 1948, the Communist leader Klement Gottwald stepped out on the balcony of a Baroque palace in Prague to harangue hundreds of thousands of citizens massed in Old Town Square.
"The invention of printing formerly enabled people to understand one another. In the era of universal graphomania, the writing of books has an opposite meaning: everyone surrounded by his own words as by a wall of mirrors, which allow no voice to filter through from outside."
The first time an angel heard the devil’s laughter, he was dumbfounded. That happened at a feast in a crowded room, where the devil’s laughter, which is terribly contagious, spread from one person to another. The angel clearly understood that such laughter was directed against God and against the dignity of His works. He knew that he must react swiftly somehow, but felt weak and defenseless. Unable to come up with anything of his own, he aped adversary. Opening his mouth, he emitted broken, spasmodic sounds in the higher reaches of his vocal range (a bit like the sound made on the street of a seaside town by Michelle and Gabrielle), but giving them an opposite meaning: whereas the devil’s laughter denoted the absurdity of things, the angel on the contrary meant to rejoice over how well ordered, wisely conceived, good and meaningful everything here below was.

The angel and the devil faced each other and, mouths wide open, emitted nearly the same sounds, but each one’s noises expressed the absolute opposite of the other’s. And seeing the angel laugh, the devil laughed all the more, all the harder, and all the more blatantly, because the laughing angel was infinitely comical.

Laughable laughter is disastrous. Even so, the angels have gained something from it. They have tricked us with a semantic imposture. Their imitation of laughter and (the devil’s) original laughter are both called by the same name. Nowadays, we don’t even realize that the same external display serves two absolutely opposed internal attitude. There are two laughters, and we have no word to tell one from the other.
It takes so little, so infinitely little, for a person to cross the border beyond which everything loses meaning: love, conviction, faith, history. Human life --- and herein lies its secret --- takes place in the immediate proximity of that border, even in direct contact with it; it is not miles away, but a fraction of an inch.
We are living in the great historical era when physical love will be once and for all transformed into ridiculous motions.
People fascinated by the idea of progress never suspect that every step forward is also a step on the way to the end and that behind all the joyous "onward and upward" slogans lurks the lascivious voice of death urging us to make haste.
Please note: Michael Henry Heim translated the 1st English-language version (1980) from Czech; and Aaron Asher translated the 2nd English-language version (1996) from the revised French version (1985).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060932147, Paperback)

In one of the finer modern ironies of the life-imitates-art sort, the country that Kundera seemed to be writing about when he talked about Czechoslovakia is, thanks to the latest political redefinitions, no longer precisely there. This kind of disappearance and reappearance is, partly, what Kundera explores in The Book of Laughter and Forgetting. In this polymorphous work -- now a novel, now autobiography, now a philosophical treatise -- Kundera discusses life, music, sex, philosophy, literature and politics in ways that are rarely politically correct, never classifiable but always original, entertaining and definitely brilliant.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:30 -0400)

The only authorized translation of the bestselling masterpiece by one of the greatest authors of our time, "The Book of Laughter and Forgetting" is part fairy tale, part literary criticism, part political tract, part musicology, and part autobiography.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,834,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible