A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th…

A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century (1978)

by Barbara W. Tuchman

English (81)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (91)
I spent so long taking notes on years ago in the SCA -never thought I'd need those notes for my thesis! ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
I learned a lot from this book. It is long and much is details about battles and family relationships. None the less, much of it held interest. I listened on audible and will probably listen again sometime in the future. The story holds much insight about western culture today. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
I read this way back when in high school for one of my AP courses' summer projects. I had always romanticized to myself the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and this book seemed right up my alley...and it was.

The edition I read was a giant paperback from the library that had cracked in half and been salvaged with binding tape, it was one of those reads where you take extra care to absorb the words as you took extra care to not damage a book further.

Barbara Tuchman is a great historian, not stinting on the details and referencing her source material in a fashion that makes you itch to check it out for yourself. Her choice to focus on the Sire de Coucy as the center of the 14th century gives coherence to what otherwise is a slippery and fractured era of study. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
a very nice introduction to the European late middle ages. ( )
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |

Barbara W. Tuchmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sliedrecht-Smit, J.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, S. deEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
" For mankind is ever the same and nothing is lost out of nature, though everything is altered. "

John Dryden
The genesis of this book was a desire to find out what were the effects on society of the most lethal disaster of recorded history-that is to say, of the Black Death of 1348-50, which killed an estimated one third of the population living between India and Iceland.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345349571, Paperback)

In this sweeping historical narrative, Barbara Tuchman writes of the cataclysmic 14th century, when the energies of medieval Europe were devoted to fighting internecine wars and warding off the plague. Some medieval thinkers viewed these disasters as divine punishment for mortal wrongs; others, more practically, viewed them as opportunities to accumulate wealth and power. One of the latter, whose life informs much of Tuchman's book, was the French nobleman Enguerrand de Coucy, who enjoyed the opulence and elegance of the courtly tradition while ruthlessly exploiting the peasants under his thrall. Tuchman looks into such events as the Hundred Years War, the collapse of the medieval church, and the rise of various heresies, pogroms, and other events that caused medieval Europeans to wonder what they had done to deserve such horrors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

The prize-winning historian traces the major currents of the fourteenth century, revealing the century's great historical rhythms and events and the texture of daily life at all levels of European society.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,454,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible