A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire

A Lion Among Men (2008)

by Gregory Maguire

Series: The Wicked Years (3)

Third book of the series and there were some lags, but I felt this was more interesting that Son of a Witch.
Brrr, aka the Cowardly Lion, has an interesting link to Elphaba, aka Wicked Witch of the West, that most wouldn't expect. Brrr isn't so much cowardly as maybe a little dim or too trusting? The political tangle and names were clever.
The book ends on a cliff hanger of sorts, so I'm glad I didn't read this before Out of Oz was released. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
This book is as good as all the others by Gregory Maguire. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I read Wicked and Son of a Witch, I have forgotten much of the story. It would have been better to reread the first two to better apprecitate the story. Still, I really liked learning the back story of the Cowardly Lion. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
Although this was basically two characters' backstories, I enjoyed it more than Son of a Witch. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jun 15, 2017 |
Dark. Yet no darker than others in the Wicked series. I ALWAYS learn new words when reading Gregory Maguire. ( )
  kbosso | May 2, 2017 |
As much as I loved Wicked, I had a hard time getting into this book. If I'm right, I do believe this is the 3rd book in the Oz series. I was entranced with the 1st (Wicked), entertained by the 2nd (Son of a Witch), but this 3rd one. . .was redundant. Every other chapter just seemed to reiterate the fact that the Cowardly Lion was indeed- cowardly, and every other synonym to describe him as such. It did pick up toward the end; making me wish I had read the books chronologically back to back instead of years between. All in all, I do believe it was a great ending tying everything together, while leaving possibility for another adventure. I just feel it's a shame that it took 300 pages to get there. ( )
  mspoet569 | Feb 9, 2016 |

Gregory Maguireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, DouglasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves as well. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen accidents, meetings, and material assistance that no one could have dreamed would come their way. Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
- Goethe, by attribution
A statement about luck is a statement about the mind, not about the world. . . . We find what seems to have been the lucky break or the big mistake, and so we thank our lucky stars that we took the road less traveled or curse the fates that sent that little wavelet that flipped us on our backs. With hindsight, we seem to see that everything preceding the pivotal point was leading up to it, tending toward it, and that everything following it grew from it.
To any observer outside the lucky one himself, however, luck is simply chance. Chance is neutral.
- Eric Kraft, "I Consider My Luck,"
from Brothers and Beasts:
An Anthology of Men on Fairy Tales
For Maurice Sendak
King of all wild things
The time came for her to die, and she would not die, so perhaps she might waste away, they thought, and she did waste, but not away; and the time came for her to receive final absolution, so they set candles upon her clavicle, but this she would not allow.

A Lion Among Men complements the New York Times bestseller Son of a Witch in fleshing out the world of Oz, seen this time through the eyes of the Cowardly Lion-remembered from Wicked as a tiny cub defended by Elphaba. While civil war looms in Oz, an ancient and tetchy oracle named Yackle prepares for death. Before she can return to dust, however, the Cowardly Lion, an enigmatic figure named Brrr, arrives in search of information about Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West. As payment, Yackle, who hovered on the sidelines of Elphaba's life, demands some answers of her own.

Abandoned as a cub, Brrr's earliest memories are only gluey hazes. But his path from infancy in the Great Gillikin Forest is no Yellow Brick Road. Seeking to redress an early mistake, he tumbles though a swamp of ghosts, becomes implicated in a massacre of trolls, and falls in love with a Cat princess. Sidestepping the laws that oppress talking Animals, Brrr cannily avoids a jail sentence by agreeing to serve as a lackey to the warmongering Emperor of Oz.

A Lion Among Men traces a battle of wits between adversaries distracted by the armies approaching on either side of them. What does the Lion know of the whereabouts of the Witch's boy, Liir? What can Yackle reveal about the auguries of the Clock of the Time Dragon? Is destiny ever arbitrary? Can those tarnished by infamy escape their sobriquets-cowardly, wicked, brainless, criminally earnest-to claim their own histories, to live honorably within their own skins before they're skinned alive?
Synopsis from Barnes and Noble

AR 6.1, 15 Pts

In this third novel of the "New York Times"-bestselling series, civil war looms in Oz, and an ancient oracle named Yackle prepares for death. But before she can die, the Cowardly Lion arrives seeking knowledge about Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West--the woman who had defended him when he was a cub.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,896,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible