A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, Book 3)…

A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, Book 3) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Gregory Maguire

2,282None2,824 (3.32)107
Member:klpm
Title:A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, Book 3)
Authors:Gregory Maguire
Info:William Morrow (2008), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, Oz

A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire (2008)

2008 (11) 2009 (9) 21st century (11) American (8) audiobook (8) Cowardly Lion (26) ebook (11) fairy tale (8) fairy tales (24) fantasy (251) fiction (268) first edition (12) Gregory Maguire (9) hardcover (17) Kindle (9) magic (13) novel (16) own (17) Oz (92) read (20) retelling (20) series (31) sff (16) signed (14) The Wicked Years (27) to-read (55) unread (23) Wicked (35) witches (13) Wizard of Oz (44)

It's amusing and easy, though not nearly as good as Wicked and probably even less meaningful than Son of a Witch. It appears as if MacGuire is going to start a full on series, and while I probably will read the next book, out of love for Wicked, if it doesn't get any better, it will probably be the last. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This is the third book in the Oz trilogy. In this book the Cowardly Lion is interviewing Mother Yackle regarding Elphaba and Liir, and during the interview we find out more about the Lion’s life. And finally we find out what happened to Nor. This book still leaves a great many mysteries unresolved. Some mysteries are solved and/or clarified but if I told you which ones I would spoil all the fun. A Lion Among Men was a more difficult read for me, the storyline seemed less cohesive then the first two books. The storyline jumped between the Lion’s story, Mother Yackle’s story, and Nor’s story in such a way that the entire book seem disjointed. The jumps sometimes were too abrupt and did not allow for a good flow. I was glad to know the backgrounds of the characters and it made some events in the first two books clear, but it made it hard to read and follow too. In the end there were still a great many things left unresolved hopefully Out of Oz will finally answer all my questions. It seems to me in this book that Maguire has lost some of his story telling mojo.
  Serinde24 | Dec 4, 2013 |
The weakest of the three "Wicked" sequels, "A Lion Among Men" is still an enjoyable book and Brr's backstory is interesting. This book helps flesh out what was only hinted at in "Wicked" and also answers many questions about Mother Yackle, though it largely feels like an intemediary story that's meant to bridge the narrative begun in "Son of a Witch" to the conclusion of "Out of Oz." The best comparison I can make is to compare this book to "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" in that its narrative lacks a firm beginning and concrete resolution since it's not the final book in the larger narrative of "Son of a Witch," "A Lion Among Men," and "Out of Oz." That said, it's still enjoyable if you liked the other books and want to read the whole series. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Aug 27, 2013 |
While I enjoyed this book more than Son of a Witch, it still cannot quite compare with Wicked itself. Still, we always wondered why the Lion was cowardly, and Maguire provides his past in flashbacks and memories that reveal a cowardice both physical and, more importantly, spiritual. The action is as remarkable and unpredictable as ever, and I was pleased that my favorite characters, the maunts such as Sister Apothecaire, the dwarf and especially Yackle, were given juicy parts. I would certainly recommend this book, and look forward to Out of Oz. ( )
  jennorthcoast | Aug 23, 2013 |
This has to be the best in the series. It was raw, emotional and just a very sad book. It was also simpler than the first 2. It was more personal than political. I really felt for Brr. In whatever he choses he is always criticized. He always makes the wrong choice. He has a hard time trying to fit in with humans and even with Animals alike. He does not have any family. It was very relatable than the first two. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | May 2, 2013 |

Gregory Maguireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, DouglasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves as well. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen accidents, meetings, and material assistance that no one could have dreamed would come their way. Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
- Goethe, by attribution
A statement about luck is a statement about the mind, not about the world. . . . We find what seems to have been the lucky break or the big mistake, and so we thank our lucky stars that we took the road less traveled or curse the fates that sent that little wavelet that flipped us on our backs. With hindsight, we seem to see that everything preceding the pivotal point was leading up to it, tending toward it, and that everything following it grew from it.
To any observer outside the lucky one himself, however, luck is simply chance. Chance is neutral.
- Eric Kraft, "I Consider My Luck,"
from Brothers and Beasts:
An Anthology of Men on Fairy Tales
For Maurice Sendak
King of all wild things
The time came for her to die, and she would not die, so perhaps she might waste away, they thought, and she did waste, but not away; and the time came for her to receive final absolution, so they set candles upon her clavicle, but this she would not allow.

A Lion Among Men complements the New York Times bestseller Son of a Witch in fleshing out the world of Oz, seen this time through the eyes of the Cowardly Lion-remembered from Wicked as a tiny cub defended by Elphaba. While civil war looms in Oz, an ancient and tetchy oracle named Yackle prepares for death. Before she can return to dust, however, the Cowardly Lion, an enigmatic figure named Brrr, arrives in search of information about Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West. As payment, Yackle, who hovered on the sidelines of Elphaba's life, demands some answers of her own.

Abandoned as a cub, Brrr's earliest memories are only gluey hazes. But his path from infancy in the Great Gillikin Forest is no Yellow Brick Road. Seeking to redress an early mistake, he tumbles though a swamp of ghosts, becomes implicated in a massacre of trolls, and falls in love with a Cat princess. Sidestepping the laws that oppress talking Animals, Brrr cannily avoids a jail sentence by agreeing to serve as a lackey to the warmongering Emperor of Oz.

A Lion Among Men traces a battle of wits between adversaries distracted by the armies approaching on either side of them. What does the Lion know of the whereabouts of the Witch's boy, Liir? What can Yackle reveal about the auguries of the Clock of the Time Dragon? Is destiny ever arbitrary? Can those tarnished by infamy escape their sobriquets-cowardly, wicked, brainless, criminally earnest-to claim their own histories, to live honorably within their own skins before they're skinned alive?
Synopsis from Barnes and Noble

AR 6.1, 15 Pts

In this third novel of the "New York Times"-bestselling series, civil war looms in Oz, and an ancient oracle named Yackle prepares for death. But before she can die, the Cowardly Lion arrives seeking knowledge about Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West--the woman who had defended him when he was a cub.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible