A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, Book 3)…

A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, Book 3) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Gregory Maguire

Member:RevolutionBooks
Title:A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, Book 3)
Authors:Gregory Maguire
Info:William Morrow (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:Fiction

A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire (2008)

A review of all four books in the Wicked Years series is posted on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Jun 27, 2014 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 2 stars

There comes a point in every series where it feels like the author's just putting out a book to link other books in the series together and doesn't really care. Often, this is because what was planned as a singular book (or trilogy, but less commonly) turns into an unexpected monster hit, and they're pressured (by agents/editors/readers/money) to do more of it, because there's clearly an audience. Entire careers are built on this method- See Laura K Hamilton, Robin Cook, Dan Brown, etc.

It might be commercially successful, but it shows in the prose. It's dumbed down vs Wicked, the plot meanders and the whole thing could have fit, plot wise, into a picture book. There was character development, sure, but I never really cared enough about either of them for that to be a driving force in reading it. Really, I was reading it because it was on my desk, I was too tired to write, and my other reading choices were worse. Given some of the other books I've read at work, that's saying something. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
This was much better than Son of a Witch. It flowed very nicely, hooking the reader, and perhaps because the main character this time was a Lion, it contained little of the vulgarity of the previous book.

It answered questions, but raised more, and left me feeling neither satisfied nor dissatisfied.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
It's amusing and easy, though not nearly as good as Wicked and probably even less meaningful than Son of a Witch. It appears as if MacGuire is going to start a full on series, and while I probably will read the next book, out of love for Wicked, if it doesn't get any better, it will probably be the last. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Gregory Maguireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, DouglasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves as well. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen accidents, meetings, and material assistance that no one could have dreamed would come their way. Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
- Goethe, by attribution
A statement about luck is a statement about the mind, not about the world. . . . We find what seems to have been the lucky break or the big mistake, and so we thank our lucky stars that we took the road less traveled or curse the fates that sent that little wavelet that flipped us on our backs. With hindsight, we seem to see that everything preceding the pivotal point was leading up to it, tending toward it, and that everything following it grew from it.
To any observer outside the lucky one himself, however, luck is simply chance. Chance is neutral.
- Eric Kraft, "I Consider My Luck,"
from Brothers and Beasts:
An Anthology of Men on Fairy Tales
For Maurice Sendak
King of all wild things
The time came for her to die, and she would not die, so perhaps she might waste away, they thought, and she did waste, but not away; and the time came for her to receive final absolution, so they set candles upon her clavicle, but this she would not allow.

A Lion Among Men complements the New York Times bestseller Son of a Witch in fleshing out the world of Oz, seen this time through the eyes of the Cowardly Lion-remembered from Wicked as a tiny cub defended by Elphaba. While civil war looms in Oz, an ancient and tetchy oracle named Yackle prepares for death. Before she can return to dust, however, the Cowardly Lion, an enigmatic figure named Brrr, arrives in search of information about Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West. As payment, Yackle, who hovered on the sidelines of Elphaba's life, demands some answers of her own.

Abandoned as a cub, Brrr's earliest memories are only gluey hazes. But his path from infancy in the Great Gillikin Forest is no Yellow Brick Road. Seeking to redress an early mistake, he tumbles though a swamp of ghosts, becomes implicated in a massacre of trolls, and falls in love with a Cat princess. Sidestepping the laws that oppress talking Animals, Brrr cannily avoids a jail sentence by agreeing to serve as a lackey to the warmongering Emperor of Oz.

A Lion Among Men traces a battle of wits between adversaries distracted by the armies approaching on either side of them. What does the Lion know of the whereabouts of the Witch's boy, Liir? What can Yackle reveal about the auguries of the Clock of the Time Dragon? Is destiny ever arbitrary? Can those tarnished by infamy escape their sobriquets-cowardly, wicked, brainless, criminally earnest-to claim their own histories, to live honorably within their own skins before they're skinned alive?
Synopsis from Barnes and Noble

AR 6.1, 15 Pts

In this third novel of the "New York Times"-bestselling series, civil war looms in Oz, and an ancient oracle named Yackle prepares for death. But before she can die, the Cowardly Lion arrives seeking knowledge about Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West--the woman who had defended him when he was a cub.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible