Henry V by William Shakespeare

Henry V

by William Shakespeare

English (37)  Swedish (1)  All languages (38)
Bombast, stirring speeches, dubious English adventurism in France, the camaraderie of “we happy few”: one sees how the simple, direct valour and honour of this Henry embodies so much of the English character and self-assurance. The Chorus has some memorable lines too, as does the Archbishop of Canterbury, seeming to scheme at the outset, but then dropped from this uncharacteristically straightforward plot. I’m still not clear though, despite the Archbishop’s long attempt at explanation, whether Henry’s claims in France were indeed “with right and conscience” valid or not. No matter now; legend and a heroic leader do the trick. ( )
  eglinton | Jul 19, 2019 |
A solid addition to the canon. However, given Penguin's general attitude of inclusiveness, I find it odd that the Katherine/Alice scene - entirely in French - isn't translated. I generally agree with the editorial assumption that words with evident meanings shouldn't be explained, as most readers have access to a dictionary, however this seems to be going too far. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Pretty much the most inspiring play ever. I used to recite lines from this to myself on the way to school to screw up my courage (I know, another play). "Now set the teeth, and stretch the nostrils wide..."
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Henry V is now the king of England following his father’s death, and he is actively pursuing a claim to the throne of France. Naturally, this leads to war, even as he’s attempting to marry the daughter of the current king of France.

Of the four plays adapted in the first series of “The Hollow Crown”, Henry V ranks as my second favourite (after Richard II). It’s an energetic play, with battles and famous speeches (“Once more unto the breach…” and “We few, we happy few, we band of brothers”), and a seemingly random scene in which Katherine, the princess of France, is trying to learn English. As someone who speaks both French and English, I thought it especially hilarious (her teacher isn’t the most proficient English speaker and does not have the rank or security to correct Katherine’s pronunciation).

The Folger Shakespeare Library edition contains interesting supplementary material and provides translations of all the French dialogue for those who do not speak the language. I’d recommend this edition in particular if you’re planning to read the play. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jun 3, 2018 |
read it after seeing the DVD with Laurence Olivier - not my usual order, but it helped this time - took my son to see it live at Stratford Festival so that he too could get more from the book - they included the torture scenes, unusual but pivotal ( )
  frahealee | Dec 3, 2017 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Has as a supplement

Has as a student's study guide

Henry V is Shakespeare's ninth and last English historial play, apart from King Lear and Cymbeline, which treat of pseudo-history, and the late Henry VIII, in which he collaborated with John Fletcher.

Introduction, New Penguin Shakespeare.
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention!
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,

Or close the wall up with our English dead!

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man

As modest stillness and humility;

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,

Then imitate the action of the tiger:

Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.
This work is for the complete Henry V only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743484878, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Michael Neill

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

Henry V is a study of kinship, patriotism, and heroic determination, tempered by tender comedy as Henry courts Katherine, Princess of France.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140707085, 0141013796

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456100041, 1449889654

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,085,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible