Henry V by William Shakespeare
16th century (74) 17th century (23) British (42) British literature (41) classic (88) Classic Literature (16) classics (98) drama (428) Elizabethan (29) England (48) English (36) English literature (75) fiction (156) Henry V (39) historical (19) historical fiction (38) history (89) history plays (38) literature (126) own (18) paperback (16) play (198) plays (208) poetry (31) read (38) Renaissance (20) Shakespeare (525) theatre (124) to-read (30) war (34)

English (21)  Swedish (1)  All languages (22)
Wonderful rhetoric, good characterization, I believe this writer will have a successful career! The portrait of the king is a wonderful presentation about the good things of one man rule.
I seem to have watched it more than I read it, but still five times, and ready to do it again. My favourite speech is "Upon the King...". Aside from the pageant-style Henry VIII, Shakespeare is ready to move on to more personal drama, and this is his last historical play.
Internl evidence places this play in the period of late May, 1599. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 28, 2013 |
This is a play I chose to read for my Play Analysis paper for my Intro. to Drama class. The language is extremely powerful and memorable, the characters are compelling, and the play itself is exceptional. I definitely highly recommend it for anyone with any interest at all in drama. It is, without question, one of the greatest examples of the genre ever written. As to the edition itself, I found it to be greatly helpful in understanding the action in the play. It has a layout which places each page of the play opposite a page of notes, definitions, explanations, and other things needed to understand that page more thoroughly. While I didn't always need it, I was certainly glad to have it whenever I ran into a turn of language that was unfamiliar, and I definitely appreciated the scene-by-scene summaries. Really, if you want to or need to read Shakespeare, an edition such as this is really the way to go, especially until you get more accustomed to it. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 24, 2013 |
Overall, I found this an exciting play with some of Shakespeare's most rousing speeches. On the minus side, it is a tad long and some of the scenes (such as Princess Katherine learning English) could have been eliminated or shortened to make for a tighter play. ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 18, 2013 |
Just finished Henry V...worth the read. ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
I think I like Henry V best of all the kings. I suppose it helps that he isn't an usurper (or at least, he didn't begin the rebellion or kill Richard II -- I'm not sure whether the son of an usurper is still an usurper), and that I've followed his development through three plays.

He gets pretty good speeches, too. I have the nebulous beginnings of an essay idea, perhaps, in consequence: something about the theatricality of the kings. Theatre within theatre, comparisons between theatre and kingship... Might be able to find some more critical material now I have an idea. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

William Shakespeareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tonkin, HumphreyTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craik, T. W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamar, Virginia A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verity, A. W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, Louis B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention!
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,

Or close the wall up with our English dead!

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man

As modest stillness and humility;

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,

Then imitate the action of the tiger:

Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.
This entry refers to the actual play. If you wish to enter your DVD of a particular production, please add [DVD] to the title so it can be kept separate. Under no circumstances should a DVD be combined with the play.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743484878, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Michael Neill

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:25 -0400)

A team of six eminent scholars who have, along with the general editors themselves, prepared new introductions and notes to all of Shakespeare's plays and poems. Redesigned in an easy-to-read format that preserves the favorite features of the original--and including an essay on the theatrical world of Shakespeare, and introduction to the individual play, and a note on the text used--the new Pelican Shakespeare will be an excellent resource for students, teachers, and theater professionals well into the twenty-first century.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140707085, 0141013796

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,573,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible